56 Flight Hawk hardtop, #56G-K7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4286?

Craig, what were the Hamiltonians counting? At South Bend if the Body # said 4286, that would be the actual sequential number of that exact body and Engine (Champion, Commander, President) type bodies that were built that year.

But obviously 4286 is not that at all, since there were only 560 built, they must have been counting ALL 56K7's? If so, that is LOT of Canadian Built Sky Hawks and Flight Hawk Hardtops!
    I don't think the BODY Number would concern itself with ALL of the Champions of all body types built that year.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      But obviously 4286 is not that at all, since there were only 560 built, they must have been counting ALL 56K7's?
      That is ALL 1956 Studebakers of every model, trim level, and body style produced in Hamilton...period! They did not assign different sets of numbers to each model. Note the number is a streamer; not part of the tag itself.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!! PUH....LEASE!! Let's see some picutures!

Craig
        I'm not sure of how to get pix on to these posts, but Bill Jackameit's Feb- 11 web page ran a little article on our car with some pix.....we're way down at the bottom of the article. Hope that works for you

Comment

From another Minnesotan.Welcome! Lots of great SDC folks down your way.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyg View Post
            I'm not sure of how to get pix on to these posts, but Bill Jackameit's Feb- 11 web page ran a little article on our car with some pix.....we're way down at the bottom of the article. Hope that works for you
            That webpage from the post here on the forum seems to be long expired, though I did the photos on the site you mentioned: http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

It will be kind of a shame to see yet another Hawk with a non-Stude V8 under the hood, especially in a car so rare as this one! One can bet there's FAR more than 560 of C/K models running around with SBC engines!!

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 03-29-2011, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Nice car-wish it were mine!!! I like 'Westleys' white wall cleaner. Good for a lot more than just tires. A detailer I knew used it to clean engines,best job I've seen! Rinse it off of painted areas quickly though,or it will stain the paint.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Just saw this older photo in a link from Curbside Classics:

1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk. A hardtop, which makes it one of 560 built, nine were sold in the U.S. Why this one was in Charlottesville in 1982 I do not know. Bonus: MY1970/1971 Dodge Dart. [SRT-069-17A]

No idea if it is still around.
                Jim K.
                63 Hawk

Comment

That webpage from the post here on the forum seems to be long expired, though I did the photos on the site you mentioned: http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

It will be kind of a shame to see yet another Hawk with a non-Stude V8 under the hood, especially in a car so rare as this one! One can bet there's FAR more than 560 of C/K models running around with SBC engines!!

Craig
                  I know it's upsettling to the traditionalists,, but I'm a hot-rodder at heart & the 472 Cadillac I picked up with 30k original miles is just begging to be transplanted into our Hawk. Modern drivetrain + local parts availability will make for a more affordable/reliable cruiser in my mind.

Comment

56 Flight Hawk Hardtop

PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!! PUH....LEASE!! Let's see some picutures!

Craig
                    Hi, are you still interested in some pix of our 56 Flight Hawk Hardtop project car, I'm just getting it out of storage for the winter so that I can get started on it again. We have the 472 cadillac, turbo 400 & 59 ford 9" rear end installed, should be getting things hooked up & running this summer. It was a little tough for a top-notch restoration, but it should make a great driver this way

Comment

Sure! Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it. Thanks.

Craig

Comment

Craig, There was that awesome baby blue one at our zone meet a few years back, they let it drive into the banquet and on stage for 'best of show"

Not sure if it was a hamilton car, but it was a 6cyl, and an awesome job, Got any pictures of that one?

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          Craig, There was that awesome baby blue one at our zone meet a few years back, they let it drive into the banquet and on stage for 'best of show"
                          Yes: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=novarra

Craig

Comment

Sorry, Ralphs is a post, I know very little (and did not recall) about 6 cyl Hawks. It is a fine job, one i'll never forget seeing!

Comment

This car was originally Snowcap White/Sunglow Gold. The roof should be the same color as the hood & trunk to be authentic. The son of the older couple that restored it is now the owner of it, and is keeping it as a memory of his late parents. I don't believe he is truly an 'old car' person, but still intends to drive it in parades and other local events.

Craig
                              Like this one? this is a sky hawk 289 , 4 bldt, duel exhaust and 3 speed over.

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

to jimmy g,---- I believe there is a rough '56 Flight Hawk Hardtop (K) in an auto graveyard in Standish, Maine. A Friend of Mine who lives in nearby Naples sent Me a photo of it. I'm going to check it out when I go back up there, (or DOWN there
                                as they say), this May. From the side-view picture, I thought for sure it was a President Sky Hawk, but He said there was a six cylinder engine under the hood. Didn't remember deck lid details or eyeball body tag.

Comment

Working...
                                X