56 Flight Hawk hardtop, #56G-K7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob
    Is that Sky Hawk as clean as it looks in the photo ?
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Boy! That is a pretty little thing.
      Restorers delight.
      Maybe I just love C/K's but they just look great to me restored or rodded!
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Then you must remember this one from the 2010 Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
          Bob
          Is that Sky Hawk as clean as it looks in the photo ?
          Klif
          Yes it is, but does have some rust problems, biggest is one corner in the trunk at the body support, and a little under at some of of side body wing supports, never seen any with the problem at these places, Interior is original and nice.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

if its a 56G-K7 on the cowl tag on the passenger side, then i's a Flight Hawk hardtop like ours!

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            to jimmy g,---- I believe there is a rough '56 Flight Hawk Hardtop (K) in an auto graveyard in Standish, Maine. A Friend of Mine who lives in nearby Naples sent Me a photo of it. I'm going to check it out when I go back up there, (or DOWN there
            as they say), this May. From the side-view picture, I thought for sure it was a President Sky Hawk, but He said there was a six cylinder engine under the hood. Didn't remember deck lid details or eyeball body tag.
            Keep me posted on what you find out, always fun to know of another!

Comment

Studillac photos

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Sure! Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it. Thanks.

Craig
              I think I need to get an email address from you because that's the only way I know how to transfer the pix to you

Comment

jimmyyg, your hawk was well-enjoyed by Tom's parents, Oscar and Bernice. They spent about $3,000.00 mid-1980's dollars on a spectacular interior restoration, the changed it from a red and white two-tone to all black. They drove it from their home in Strathroy, Ontario to Steinbach, Manitoba one summer to a Buffalo Chapter SDC meet. That's a 40-some hour round trip, at least! What did you say about "more reliable" with a Caddy V8? Try to top that!

The frame was quite rusty for a long time and they had someone in London, Ontario, IIRC, "knit" a new frame for it. The car's bodywork is a little shakey, as you know, but she is a rare piece. I had a ride in it back in 1978 when the guy I bought my Power Hawk from also owned your car. I turned it down and bought the PH because of the frame rust on the FH back then!!

There exists a drawing of your car, well-executed by a very good artist and Ontario SDC member. It was featured in our "Studebanner" newsletter in the '80's - and the drawing was also in a subsequent issue of Turning Wheels that featured Studebaker artwork.

I think we called it the last North American survivor because there were no other roster listings showing an identifiable FH hardtop at the time.

Glad someone has bought it and is doing something with it.
                Last edited by STEWDI; 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM.
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Like this one? this is a sky hawk 289 , 4 bldt, duel exhaust and 3 speed over.

Yes, that's what it looked like originally as far as the color combination.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the updates, I got a lot of information, (verbal & printed )from Tom Crouch...

when I got the car from him, I have several copies of the drawn art of the car (an excellent rendering of the car, I knew the interior had been redone, it still looks georgous except for the carpet which is easily resolved. I didn't know much about the bodywork history other than 30 years later it needs a major re-do. I'm just getting back on it now that I got it out of winter storage . I hope my wife & I can make the Crouch'es proud aagain when we get the car redone, I'm seriously hoping/planning for a good cruiser that I could go a thousand miles on a trip & not have to worry about anything.I still have the plaque they had made that showed it to be the last surviving FlightHawk hardtop acknowledged by the SDC at the time they had it. We're going to keep the outside stock & just modernize the drivetrain so that we keep a foot on each side of the hotrodders/restoration fence. I found one little polaroid photo showing it the original colors. We're going with it being black again, because I think it's my favorite color for working with the body lines of the car jimmyyg, your hawk was well-enjoyed by Tom's parents, Oscar and Bernice. They spent about $3,000.00 mid-1980's dollars on a spectacular interior restoration, the changed it from a red and white two-tone to all black. They drove it from their home in Strathroy, Ontario to Steinbach, Manitoba one summer to a Buffalo Chapter SDC meet. That's a 40-some hour round trip, at least! What did you say about "more reliable" with a Caddy V8? Try to top that!

The frame was quite rusty for a long time and they had someone in London, Ontario, IIRC, "knit" a new frame for it. The car's bodywork is a little shakey, as you know, but she is a rare piece. I had a ride in it back in 1978 when the guy I bought my Power Hawk from also owned your car. I turned it down and bought the PH because of the frame rust on the FH back then!!

There exists a drawing of your car, well-executed by a very good artist and Ontario SDC member. It was featured in our "Studebanner" newsletter in the '80's - and the drawing was also in a subsequent issue of Turning Wheels that featured Studebaker artwork.

I think we called it the last North American survivor because there were no other roster listings showing an identifiable FH hardtop at the time.

Glad someone has bought it and is doing something with it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                    X