No announcement yet.

Modern Paint Code Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try 1-800-dupont, (I think that's the right number) give them the year and original paint code, they should get something in a modern formula for you.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
      Try 1-800-dupont, (I think that's the right number) give them the year and original paint code, they should get something in a modern formula for you.

Jim
      That's what the guy at Ridge paint supply did. Seems like every time I go there, I give them a challenge. (last time I needed paint for a 1970 John Deere patio tractor. Du Pont Centari color that has been obsolete for years but somehow they matched it.) The guy behind the counter called Du Pont and the number they gave him was DS161. I shot a test piece and for what it is it looks just like any Maui Blue car I've looked at in the past, but I don't have an original paint chip to compare it to so I'm sighting it off of memory.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        >>>but I don't have an original paint chip to compare it to so I'm sighting it off of memory.

BUT …you do have access to something a 1,000 times better than some old painted paper "paint chip" from a book …you have the Studebaker Engineering "MASTER" (Maui Blue) paint color metal panel right there in the SNM Archives. In the basement in the southwest corner …like you really needed me to tell you where to find all Studebaker Corporation's "MASTER" paint color panels… wink, wink!
        Last edited by Welcome; 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I have been surprised at the getting the right paint code questions on the board. Either I have been lucky on colors I've asked for or I have a great supplier who still has the old books or knows the right number to call. Painter Supply has routinely without apology or hesitation just mixed the asked for color. Even though I'm replacing old single stage paint with base clear coat, it's always about 20 minutes and I'm on my way.

Just don't know how good I have it. Perhaps you can contact Painter's Supply for paint if they'll ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post

BUT …you do have access to something a 1,000 times better than some old painted paper "paint chip" from a book …you have the Studebaker Engineering "MASTER" (Maui Blue) paint color metal panel right there in the SNM Archives. In the basement in the southwest corner …like you really needed me to tell you where to find all Studebaker Corporation's "MASTER" paint color panels… wink, wink!
            Honestly I didn't know that existed! I have only been on the first floor of the archives building, past that I've never got the chance to dig around like I would like to. Tonight I shot a sample piece of the paint I got and compared it to a well preserved piece of the '53 prototype's body, and it's a spot on match. As for what the heck I'm doing with a can of Maui Blue this early in the game of restoration, I'll post a thread on that later. I've been keeping busy lately with the project...
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
            X