X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this compare to your Stude ?

My tachometer was off, got it corrected yesterday. At 55 I am turning
    about 1700. 2000 gets me about 63 or 64. How does that sound,
    compared to some of youall. I am running 3.42 gears. INPUT???

Cruising at 70

That is an awesome photo...! IMO...don't paint your car, the patina contributes to it's Sat. night special persona. I can hear the music coming from those glass packs . Very cool Flashback.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

That almost exactly where I am with 3.80 gears and 28" tall tires. That's with a .7 overdrive in my 4L60E trans. Perfect stance on your car by the way, love it!
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That's a fine looking car. Mine's stock so no tach...but I'm getting really good at judging the revs from the rumble of a 259 (bored 30 over)
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          I can hear the music coming from those glass packs . Very cool Flashback.
          Having recently seen and heard Flashbacks car at the SE Zone meet I can assure you those Smithys sound much sweeter than glasspacks. And yes, that is one cool car! Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
            Having recently seen and heard Flashbacks car at the SE Zone meet I can assure you those Smithys sound much sweeter than glasspacks. And yes, that is one cool car! Steve
            oh, ya...brain fart time. I knew Flashback's mufflers weren't glasspacks, I just forgot. Regardless, they are louder than stock, and passing through smallish (by today's standards)full length dual exhaust system with a standard trans. and v-8 Stude the sound is pure music. Regarding Smithy's, I spent 4 years of my youth riding in the back of my Stude listening to Smithy's rumble and resonate away...perhaps that's why I love the sound so much. Later spent 6 years of my life listening to rumble of Thrush's hooked to a 283 with a powerglide but just wasn't the same as the Stude.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Huh? I thought Smithy's WERE glass packs. What am I missing?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/smithy...er%2C1703.html

Comment

Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                Huh? I thought Smithy's WERE glass packs. What am I missing?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/smithy...er%2C1703.html
                I think Glasspack was also a name brand at one time (may still be). I guess they are similar in the way they are made but each manufacturer had a slightly different sound. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

My 57 has 3.53 gears. I have a SW tach in the dash. Speedo doesn't work but according to the mile markers and a Timex I'm running a mile a minute at 1900 rpm.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

LOL. A Madison Ave advertising exec had the Rolls Royce account. He went to Britain and took a test drive at the factory. Came back and wrote: "At 60 miles an hour in a RR, all you will hear is the clock". Factory replied: "We have to fix that clock."
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

okay, not that it has anything to do with the original post, but I thought that Smithy mufflers were a non-baffled deisign packed with steel (wool for lack of a better term). Turns out that Smithys were available (in the 50's at least) with either glass packing or "Steel-pac"...you choose. Douglass mufflers on the other hand looked like Smithy mufflers but were only available with steel packing. So I guess only Flashback can set the record straight on his car, although his mufflers look like Smithy, they may not even be. Sorry Flashback for the long-running tangent here, but exactly what mufflers did you install on your car?? Thanks, Junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

They are Smithy's glasspac, 22" long, 2" inlet and outlet, with a 3 1/2" shell.
                        Thanks for the input on the rpm/mph thing. Looks, acts, and feels kinda right
                        with the 3.42 gears. They may stay. Still have the hot rodder in me saying
                        "go to 4.10" go to 4.10. Thanks to everyone for the real kind words, about
                        my car. I guess I need to start a new thread and let youall vote and decide on
                        if I should paint my car or not. CAN I put upholstery in or not ??? LOL

Comment

Easy enough to calculate how much higher the rpm's would be with 4.10's. 4.10 divided by 3.42 is 1.1988, so multiply your present rpm's at whatever speed by 1.1988 and that would be your new rpm's with 4.10's. So, 55 mph rpm's would go up from 1700 to 2,038; 63-4 mph would go up from 2,000 to just under 2,400 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                            They are Smithy's glasspac, 22" long, 2" inlet and outlet, with a 3 1/2" shell.
                            Thanks for the input on the rpm/mph thing. Looks, acts, and feels kinda right
                            with the 3.42 gears. They may stay. Still have the hot rodder in me saying
                            "go to 4.10" go to 4.10. Thanks to everyone for the real kind words, about
                            my car. I guess I need to start a new thread and let youall vote and decide on
                            if I should paint my car or not. CAN I put upholstery in or not ??? LOL
                            If you go to a 4:10 you'll need to go to an overdrive tranny. A quick calculation assuming 14" rear wheel radius will give you 3500 RPM at 71 MPH. My 83 Avanti does about that MPH at 2500 with a .69 overdrive and 4:10 rear. I wouldn't want to cruise it at 3500, just to much gas and wear. However, it will wipe any frown off your face full on the gas from a dead start. Just build the RPM to the stall speed 2200 and release the brake

If you want to spend a ton of $$ on it then start down the upgrade road. My guess is you'd rather drive it and spend the $$ on beer. Just throw a mexican blanket on the seats and tell 'em it's a retro ride.

Personally, my 83 is a ten footer and the interior is acceptable but they could both use an upgrade. However, when it shows up at local car shows, the uniqueness of the design and the sound of the short Magnaflow glass packs far overshadows the warts and defects.

I have no plans for visual upgrades just more performance to keep me happy. We owners are the only ones that need to be happy with what we drive, so anything I spend is to make me happy.

OH!!!! Before I forget-- Your Money, Your Choice.

Bob
                            , ,

Comment

Flashback's car has a T-86 O/D manual trans . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X