• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steal a Convertible!

If I could I'd be buying instead of posting it:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/2268685291.html
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

By the time one has this car driving & made presentable,you would have at least $30=40k into it & I'm sure you could buy one done for that kind of $$$.Older & wiser now than I was several thousand dollars & years ago.

Comment

I bought a basket case 1960 convert in 2003. Got it for a song. I put about $16000.00 into it. Even put in Air Condition to make my wife happy. The car won Best of Division at the 2006 Pacific Southwest Zone Meet. Of course I did all my own work. It can be done.
      Fred

sigpic

Comment

Where is said car now?

Comment

are you suggesting a crime to be planned? I'll meet you there at midnight, bring an extra black mask.

well, I know you're not. I am joking.
          But yes, there is quite a bit of work to be done on this bullet nose convert, and could be a good deal for someone looking for this particular car. But it's never a deal unless you do the labor yourself as I am learning the hard way with the 60 lark convert I bought last year. Several things happened that were not planned in a supposedly well running car (engine rebuild, tranny rebuild).
          Solid car from midwest? don't hear that too often, especially since it appears to be stored outside.
          Last edited by gohdes; 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
            By the time one has this car driving & made presentable,you would have at least $30=40k into it & I'm sure you could buy one done for that kind of $$$.Older & wiser now than I was several thousand dollars & years ago.
            Can't disagree. But you're overlooking a couple important points:

1. Many folks these days don't have 30-40, or even $20K to spend on a toy; yet they still want what they want. For them, the only way to do it is to put a little money down to buy one needing restoring, then fix or buy a piece at a time, as money allows.

2. I cannot tell you the number of times I've seen this happen: Guy wants a certain car, shops for a nice one already done, pays premium money, then finds out the car is actually a bondoed-over piece of junk. So instead of spending $3-5K on an unrestored and $30 to restore it, he spent $20K on a cobjob and $30 to tear it down and do it right. It really happens! (See gohdes' post just above this one). I have a friend that bought a "restored" split-window Vette for $50K two years ago, which currently is getting engine/trans. overhaul and new, correct interior. Makes me cringe.

3. There are some for whom the quest is the fun of the hobby. They love the hands-on work, learning the details, and scouring the planet for every last odd and end. When they get it finished, they lose all interest. I have a friend with buildings full of restored cars he rarely drives, because working on the next one rings his bell more than using them. What a beautiful collection he has though!

4. Some want a certain car, but they want it their way- their colors, their style, their running gear, etc. Buying a finished car only to be unhappy and changing everything will not do for them.

So yes, by the numbers you are right on. But there's a lot more to consider. If I could I'd have already wired the money and made arrangements for Peg Trucking to pick it up. When it got here I'd look it over and only then decide if I wanted to go stock, custom, or somewhere in between. That's fun to me. I understand it may not be for everybody
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The first mistake your friend made was to buy a Corvette for 50 grand. Hee hee

Comment

" solid car from Mid West" ?????? Midwest as in USA?? rust belt car.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                  The first mistake your friend made was to buy a Corvette for 50 grand. Hee hee

That's what I told him <G> When this round of stuff is done he'll be at about $10K in repairs on this "perfectly restored car" I hate to think of what might be next...
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                    " solid car from Mid West" ?????? Midwest as in USA?? rust belt car.
                    Where the car now resides means little. It could go either way. I purchased a 1960 Lark with A/C in Cleveland, Ohio. The car was brought up to Cleveland from Texas and never driven in Cleveland. I recently considered an Avanti in the desert part of California. In checking the history on the Avanti, I found that it spent its entire life, up to this Winter, in Georgia. I did not buy this one. I figured that there was some reason that the torque boxes were not mentioned or pictured.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Where the car now resides means little. It could go either way. I purchased a 1960 Lark with A/C in Cleveland, Ohio. The car was brought up to Cleveland from Texas and never driven in Cleveland.
                      Couldn't be more true. I've had mine here from Arizona since 1997. Since I got it running, I haven't even been caught in the rain with it once to crud up the underneath work, let alone allow for any rust. It will happen on a long trip some day, but so far it's been kept solid, dry and clean, amazingly. I drive it from April to November, though. It doesn't sit much.

Comment

It's on ebay now,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300537378219
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Where the car now resides means little. It could go either way.
                          True: Local SDCer Howe Clark and his partner, Joe Neuman, had a fledging restoration shop here in Brownsburg maybe 15 years ago.

Somewhere they got a hold of a 1964 Hawk that had been delivered new in Dallas TX. It had even been fitted with aftermarket air conditioning, thus confirming its [probable] life in that hot, dry climate.

But the car had migrated north early enough in life that it was rusted beyond salvation and was parted out! Yes, I saw the car and had to admit, it was a parts donor. They were wise to have parted it and baled the balance. 'Don't know when I had seen such a rusty Gran Turismo Hawk. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                            So much for the $3500 deal on CL. Snooze you lose.

Comment

That's what I thought. Wonder if the owner saw my comments and reconsidered the $3500?

Will be interesting to see how high it gets.
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X