How many GH's left??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many GH's left??

Anyone have any idea on how many 56-58 Golden Hawks are "still alive" and how many were made?...Thanks!

Here is my GH in the shop getting some work and ready to sell, power seat and windows, rust free 98%

will be putting more pictures on soon.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by vmania View Post
      Anyone have any idea on how many 56-58 Golden Hawks are "still alive" and how many were made?...Thanks!
      How many are "still alive" would just be someone's guess. You could use state registration numbers, SDC Roster count and known cars, like from the 56J Roster, to get an educated guess, but you would still miss many that are "just out there".

As far as how many made -
      1956 4071
      1957 4356
      1958 878

For a total of 9305 Golden Hawks.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know of three GHs locally, all of them '56s; one is restored, one is under active restoration, and one is a stored project car.

S.

Comment

Here are two 56s seen at the 2008 Crossroads ZM in St.Catharines ON...the mocha/doeskin ("double rose") one being the restored one I mention above...not sure where the green/white one hails from.

I'll try to find shots of the other two...

S.

Comment

Here's the stored GH, seen last year...

S.

Comment

And here's the project, seen a year and a half back (quite a bit of progress since then).

S.

Comment

This one in SC looks interesting:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2261552820.html
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  How many are "still alive" would just be someone's guess. You could use state registration numbers, SDC Roster count and known cars, like from the 56J Roster, to get an educated guess, but you would still miss many that are "just out there".

As far as how many made -
                  1956 4071
                  1957 4356
                  1958 878

For a total of 9305 Golden Hawks.
                  Sometimes here on the Forum some Forum Members forget that there is a very large world out there byond the borders of the USA. Lots of other government registrations to check before any kind of guess could be made. IMHO this is an impossible question.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Back around eighteen yrs or so ago it seams like their was an article about the 57 gh in a copy of turning wheels saying they belived thier were around 600 + or minus ten percent of this yr. left, don,t remember who wrote the article. Mac.

Comment

hundreds more than folks think.....

Comment

I'd still like to find a decent '58 GH.

Comment

Of course we hang around where Studebakers gather, but it seems the Golden Hawks, especially the 57s are around quite a bit. It's not uncommon to see several at a major meet. The numbers made are not ultra low and I think they have been recognized as something worth saving from the beginning. I would think the survival rate is fairly high compared to some other Studebakers. Very nice cars to have.

Pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
                            I'd still like to find a decent '58 GH.
                            This one is up in Duluth, GA. If you're serious I can put you in touch with the owner. Of course you may already know him.

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                              Sometimes here on the Forum some Forum Members forget that there is a very large world out there byond the borders of the USA. Lots of other government registrations to check before any kind of guess could be made. IMHO this is an impossible question.
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Yes, I know that there are lots of Studebakers outside of the USA (I have only been to six countries, so I am not exactly a World traveler.). I was just giving examples of ways to get a starting point of an estimate. My main point was that no one knows how many Golden Hawks are left. Even estimates that give percentages based on age are way off because of the longtime desirability of Golden Hawks. For example, I am sure that many more Packard Hawks still exist than would be predicted from normal survival rates. I mostly answered to give the production quantities.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X