X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Flight-O-Matic ?

Does anyone know by the numbers given if this is heavy-duty,powershift
    or regular Flight-O-Matic & what's the opinion on buying,problems & Value ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=009

It's a standard duty V8 Flight-o-Matic for 65 & 66 Studebakers. I wouldn't have any hesitation about using one save for replacing the 43-year old front and rear seals. This unit has the cable-actuated throttle pressure setup instead of the linkage-actuated and you'd have to deal with adapting any 64 thru 58 car to it. 57 and earlier cars would have a 2-piece driveshaft to contend with as this is set up for the later 1-piece.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a standard duty V8 Flight-o-Matic for 65 & 66 Studebakers. I wouldn't have any hesitation about using one save for replacing the 43-year old front and rear seals. This unit has the cable-actuated throttle pressure setup instead of the linkage-actuated and you'd have to deal with adapting any 64 thru 58 car to it. 57 and earlier cars would have a 2-piece driveshaft to contend with as this is set up for the later 1-piece.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jeez,

Did they come from with factory installed grease and dirt?

Doesn't look quite right to me.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Jeez,

Did they come from with factory installed grease and dirt?

Doesn't look quite right to me.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

It's a standard duty V8 Flight-o-Matic for 65 & 66 Studebakers.
            A couple of comments:
            1) Be careful, this could be a 'take-off' from early in a car's life that was put back into the crate that the 'replacement' tranny came in. It's hard to tell sometimes, especially depending on the storage condition over the years. I have seen more than a few "advertised as NOS" parts that were actually take-offs. Buyer beware.
            2) It looks like the speedo gear hole is open. In my neck of the woods (which is NC, not too far from SC.....) the mud daubers and other insects and even mice would have found this to be a tempting home!
            3) The eBay ad seems to indicate that there is more than one of these. I did note the same buyer has a Stude 4-speed 'in the crate' on eBay also. If he has 3 or 4 more of the same exact p/n in the same exact crates, I would be more inclined to think these are NOS.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It's a standard duty V8 Flight-o-Matic for 65 & 66 Studebakers.
              A couple of comments:
              1) Be careful, this could be a 'take-off' from early in a car's life that was put back into the crate that the 'replacement' tranny came in. It's hard to tell sometimes, especially depending on the storage condition over the years. I have seen more than a few "advertised as NOS" parts that were actually take-offs. Buyer beware.
              2) It looks like the speedo gear hole is open. In my neck of the woods (which is NC, not too far from SC.....) the mud daubers and other insects and even mice would have found this to be a tempting home!
              3) The eBay ad seems to indicate that there is more than one of these. I did note the same buyer has a Stude 4-speed 'in the crate' on eBay also. If he has 3 or 4 more of the same exact p/n in the same exact crates, I would be more inclined to think these are NOS.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I like the way you think, Paul. OTOH - I don't think that photo shows "grease and dirt". I think it might show an accumulation of dust on the tailhousing but I'd sorta expect that with an open crate and 43 years of sitting in a warehouse or back room of a garage or shop.
                I WILL say that the one and only NOS Flight-o-Matic that's come my way had a heavy gage metal guard over the levers to protect them from getting bent in shipping. I don't see that here but then mine wasn't in a crate either.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I like the way you think, Paul. OTOH - I don't think that photo shows "grease and dirt". I think it might show an accumulation of dust on the tailhousing but I'd sorta expect that with an open crate and 43 years of sitting in a warehouse or back room of a garage or shop.
                  I WILL say that the one and only NOS Flight-o-Matic that's come my way had a heavy gage metal guard over the levers to protect them from getting bent in shipping. I don't see that here but then mine wasn't in a crate either.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Actually this Trans. would have been considered a heavy Duty in '64, but for '65-'66 the heavy Duty (oil cooled) unit was standard on V-8's so technically this is a heavy duty. It of course, has a second gear start. The shift linkage will hook right up, but the throttle pressure control, as Mr. Biggs said will require some trickery for '56-'64's, and the driveshaft for '56-'57's.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Actually this Trans. would have been considered a heavy Duty in '64, but for '65-'66 the heavy Duty (oil cooled) unit was standard on V-8's so technically this is a heavy duty. It of course, has a second gear start. The shift linkage will hook right up, but the throttle pressure control, as Mr. Biggs said will require some trickery for '56-'64's, and the driveshaft for '56-'57's.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Actually this Trans. would have been considered a heavy Duty in '64, but for '65-'66 the heavy Duty (oil cooled) unit was standard on V-8's so technically this is a heavy duty.
                        I believe Rich is correct (as usual). He calls it oil cooled, but I call it water cooled. The only '65-66 V8 FOM's I've seen have been water cooled. This was what was called a HD FOM in '63-64 and used behind the R series motors if a Power Shift or stick shift wasn't specified. It was the "standard duty" FOM for '65 and '66 V8's. (must have been all that extra SBC Chevy power [}])

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Actually this Trans. would have been considered a heavy Duty in '64, but for '65-'66 the heavy Duty (oil cooled) unit was standard on V-8's so technically this is a heavy duty.
                          I believe Rich is correct (as usual). He calls it oil cooled, but I call it water cooled. The only '65-66 V8 FOM's I've seen have been water cooled. This was what was called a HD FOM in '63-64 and used behind the R series motors if a Power Shift or stick shift wasn't specified. It was the "standard duty" FOM for '65 and '66 V8's. (must have been all that extra SBC Chevy power [}])

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Cool item... wonder what it could be worth...?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Cool item... wonder what it could be worth...?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X