Coming soon to eBay 58 PackardHawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon to eBay 58 PackardHawk

The California Auto Museum is going to be posting a 58 Packard Hawk for sale on eBay. While he wouldn't let on what the reserve would be, he did hint that they expect to get a lot of money for it. They claim that it is one of 28 out of 588 PH's produced with a 3 Speed/OD transmission. They are thinking that makes it rare and more valuable.

The car looks complete and the body is cosmetically challenged but all there and straight. Some of the chrome looked pretty good to me. I saw the car today and watched him start it up to move it outside. It started right up and ran smooth. He told me the supercharger is hooked up and working.

The worst part of the car is the interior. It looks like it was drug out of a river. Any ideas about what this car is worth?

Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

As with any Stude, rust is the determinant factor. If I pulled up the carpets and the trunk and found no rust, figure $35k. It would take another $20k minimum to get it really right.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      As with any Stude, rust is the determinant factor. If I pulled up the carpets and the trunk and found no rust, figure $35k. It would take another $20k minimum to get it really right.

jack vines
      35K?? Really???????
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I'd guess a bit more than 1/3 of tha figure....

Comment

I'd guess a bit more than 1/3 of tha figure....
          If it sells for $11.5, I'll probably be the buyer. However, the market will tell us what it is worth.

Packard Hawks were stepchildren for forty years, but finally the word is out there were only 588 of them and only 28 standard transmission cars.

As I said, it depends upon rust and how well and how widely the museum advertises the car. With a less-than-show-winner '57 GH recently selling for $99k, an equivalent condition Packard Hawk should be worth much more. The '58 PH is rare and would have a nicer interior, much better suspension and a standard shift.

To put the rarity in perspective, there are probably an equal number of R3 standard shift Avanti as there are standard shift '58 PH surviving.

jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM.
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            If it sells for $11.5, I'll probably be the buyer. However, the market will tell us what it is worth.

Packard Hawks were stepchildren for forty years, but finally the word is out there were only 588 of them and only 28 standard transmission cars.

As I said, it depends upon rust and how well and how widely the museum advertises the car. With a less-than-show-winner '57 GH recently selling for $99k, an equivalent condition Packard Hawk should be worth much more. The '58 PH is rare and would have a nicer interior, much better suspension and a standard shift.

To put the rarity in perspective, there are probably an equal number of R3 standard shift Avanti as there are standard shift '58 PH surviving.

jack vines
            Speaking of 57 Golden Hawks, one in nicer condition than the 99K example sold at York for 25K. I was scheduled to put it on ebay if had not sold there, and I expect it would have brought much more. Someone got a exceptional buy.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I know it is a small thing in whole realm of important things...BUT, doesn't that look like a VACUUM Gauge in there, as opposed to the Correct Vacuum/Pressure Gauge, it looks like the one used on the naturally aspirated '56 Golden Hawks.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I notice that it has power windows.

I don't see it at more than $10K-$15K with the expensive parts and labor needed to make it a great car.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks like a nice car. You can not tell much by the picture but the dash and door panels seem to be in good condition. The vacuum gauge is correct for that car. I bought my first of 3 Packard Hawks on ebay in Jan. 07 for $9250. It also was one of the original 26 that had manual 3-speed trans with overdrive, which is why I wanted it. I expect this one would go higher.
                  Last edited by hawkhunter; 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X