Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the SMALLEST Studebaker dealership you have seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the SMALLEST Studebaker dealership you have seen?

What is the smallest Studebaker dealership you have seen? How big was it? Do you have any photos?
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Well I suppose this isn't the smallest but it was mainly John Deere that sold Studes. It was in Neshanic, New Jersey. When they sold the building in 1985 my '53 Commander was still inside so I guess I can say I bought mine right from the dealer in 1985.

Comment

There was a dealer in Santa Monica, on 3rd. St. Building was owned by a guy named Shell. He owned half of Santa Monica. The repair shop was on the alley, you had to get to it from the back. It is 3rd. St Promenade now.

Comment

Bendix Motors, 11 Anderson Ave, Fairview ,New Jersey. Probably became a dealer in 1963, when I believe many were put on board. They h d a store front and no showroom to fit a car inside they had a parking lot across the street for new cars.
        I bought a new Avanti from them in October of 1963, they traded a GT Hawk with a R2 engine for my car,with a dealer in Merrick, New York.

It is now a pizza store.

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

I think the dealer in my hometown and in my signature photo, was a small dealer although I found 40 retail sale cards for '64's for them at the SNM archives. Our town had a population of 8,800-some in the 1960 census.

Two-car showroom, curved parts counter, building was wider in the rear than the showroom...each service bay in back had its own overhead door. Closed in Dec. 1968.

I have color photos of the inside of the building that I wish I could post here sometime.

Location is 43 South Race Street, Greenville, PA 16125. The building is still there and looks largely the same, except a peaked roof has been added and the letters in front are gone. The place is a laundromat now (at least the front of the building).
          Last edited by Bill Pressler; 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls, NY had a two car showroom (lengthwise - one car in front of the other). Parts and service were in the old barn in the rear of the property. Many people that I knew purchased Studebakers there. I learned much of my Studebaker mechanical knowledge from the head mechanic there after he went into business for himself and I worked part time for him and hung out in his shops a lot.

Richard Quinn sent me a picture from a Studebaker publication from when Knight's showroom was new - about 1946-1947. I went and took a similar picture from the same angle (standing in a state highway to do it) and sent it to Richard. This was before the days of digital photography. I thought that he might have been interested in the before and after for his Almanac column.

Knight's barn/service area burned down later when it was used by a body shop. The showroom was torn down a few years ago to build a Chamber of Commerce building. That Chamber went bankrupt and merged with the Chamber in Poughkeepsie. I never forgave them for tearing down the Studebaker showroom that was in excellent condition.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Does anybody have a photo of the dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
                Does anybody have a photo of the dealership?
                If you are referring to Knight's Garage, I provided my photo, from shortly before it was torn down, to Richard Quinn. He also had the photo from when the showroom was new from a Studebaker newspaper.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks.Does anybody know of any small showrooms?

Comment

I am hopeful of getting a few pictures of the dealership that was here in Delano,MN.I talked to one of the local historians yesterday and he said he had a few pictures he would let me scan.In 1960 the population was 1,612 and by his description the dealership was a 1 car showroom.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Comment

Small dealerships? This is part of a much longer piece I wrote about the dealer in my home town and a car there.

It was 1946. I was 11.

Click image for larger version

Name:	47BROSM.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1667457

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I'd want to do it again, even today.

John

Comment

There was a small Stude dealer in Shanonville, Ontario (Near Belleville) that sold cars for a few years. Never seem to have more than one car on hand. The last car that I saw was a turquouse '65. Sorry no picture.

T-cab

Comment

Dwight Illinois, To gert to the service area from the front of the building you had to drive over the grease rack.

Comment

Johnnywiffer, did you know a Bill Limberg from Hamilton? I went to Bradley U. with him in the early 50s.
                              73, Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X