Question about '49 and '50 Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about '49 and '50 Studebakers

I graciously received a very nice glossy 8 x 10 photo of Al Hundt Motors, Studebaker dealer in Milwaukee, from 1949, from the owner's grandson. I can tell it's '49 by the fine grille details of the cars in the showroom, and comparing to photos in Langworth's "Studebaker 1946-1966" book.

There is snow on the ground in the photo.

When did the '50 models get introduced? I know in my lifetime, new car introduction was always at the end of September, but were the '50 Studebakers introduced any earlier?

Reason I'm wondering...my brother-in-law has a '49 Champion convertible sold new by Hundt, in a color that looks like one in the showroom photo. I'll have to ask my B-I-L when his was built (from his production order), to see if there could have been snow on the ground when his car was at the dealership. I'm curious about the '50 introduction date, to see if there could've been '49's in the showroom in late calendar '49, before the '50's came out.

Also, does anyone know '49 Champion convertible production nos.?

Thanks!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bill,

Interesting question, I await the answer. I also remember the September intro date as very historic!(unlike today) Does anyone remember all of the fanfare associated with this Sept event?
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't say as to the earliest date of new model introduction, but my '50 Champion was built and delivered to the dealer in late November, 1949.

Comment

1949 and 1950 Studebakers

I remember the new cars coming out in September also. We would follow the searchlights to the dealerships to look at all the new cars. A friend, who is now gone, was a mechanic at the local Studebaker dealership when the new 1950 Studebakers came out. The new cars came to the dealership under covers so nobody could see them until the BIG day. The cars were hidden away in the basement. A few of the mechanics waited for the boss to leave and then got the keys to the basement so they could see the new cars. We would have been 8 years old when the 1950s came out, but my most vivid memories are when we saw the new Corvettes, Thunderbirds, and Buick Skylarks. Those were the days.

Comment

Here are a couple of news references examples from Google's News Archives which seem to indicate when the press intro and then when the dealers had 1950 stock to show/sell.
          New York Times - Aug 4, 1949
          Further contributions to highway safety coupled with increased utility of design are emphasized in the 1950 Studebaker models shown yesterday at a press preview at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, according to H. S. Vance, president and chairman of the board of the Studebaker Corporation.

Tri City Herald - Aug 25, 1949
          New 1950 Studebaker passenger car models are now displayed in the showrooms.

Comment

Could your photo be from early in 1949? I'm thinking January or February.
            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Let's see the photo!!!
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

8737 1949 convertibles. Probably 1/2 to 2/3 were Champions. Fed K. Fox's feature article covering 1949s in TW would give the breakdown.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks everybody, for all the information! Unfortunately, I'm "low tech" and don't have a scanner or the general know-how on posting pictures. It's a neat, street-view, corner shot of the dealership building at dusk, with the lighted "Al Hundt Motor Co." signs on and snow on the ground. The lighted signs are neat.."Al Hundt" is in italics. There's also a large vertical "Studebaker" sign on the roof of the building. There's a Champion convertible and two Commanders in the showroom.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                  X