X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo needed of the correct battery location in a '40 Champion

Chris Dresbach

Ahhh.. The ole Slippery Slope..

What started out as swapping on a new hood on my '59 truck, snowballed into a full restoration. Upgraded to a V8, bought a better cab and doors, front end rebuild, and on and on.. Now that the '58 Commander is almost running again and the Stainless Biz is established, the truck will finally come home and work will start back on it.

Just be forewarned.

And good on you for wanting to do things right.
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

This should do it. This happens to be a '39 but under the hood it is identical to the '40. If you note the ground is to the firewall. I can tell you from experience that it is not good. For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the block or cylinder head.
      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you very much!
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

You know, i thought i knew quite a bit about automobiles, but i've never heard of a blcok?

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

This should do it. This happens to be a '39 but under the hood it is identical to the '40. If you note the ground is to the firewall. I can tell you from experience that it is not good. For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the blcok.
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

"Advanced Thinking"

I have to say the '40's have to be from the "advanced thinking at Studebaker Corp." as I believe most other Cars of the Day had that crazy "Battery under the FLOORBOARD" thing going on!

I remember my Dad's '53 Chev. Pickup still had that under the floor Battery with a Mechanical Pedal coming out of the floor, to the Right of the Gas Pedal, that directly engaged the Starter!

And my Uncle's '56 Buick still had one of those Ancient old VACUUM Windshield Wipers!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

And my Uncle's '56 Buick still had one of those Ancient old VACUUM Windshield Wipers!
              My '57 Cadillac still had vacuum wipers, crank windows and no radio!
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

here's mine...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0430.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1667438
                haven't got to much clean-up yet...
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the block or cylinder head.
                  Kerry,
                  The original ground strap in Richard's picture looks more appropriate than the cable in yours. Per his suggestion, I would add an additional ground cable in an unobtrusive spot from the lower firewall to the block. That would keep it looking original and provide additional security.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Chris, any chance you can build a new battery box in you school's shop class? I recall my high school shop class having a metal brake, a shear, a spot welder, MIG and TIG welder, etc.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Kerry,
                      The original ground strap in Richard's picture looks more appropriate than the cable in yours. Per his suggestion, I would add an additional ground cable in an unobtrusive spot from the lower firewall to the block. That would keep it looking original and provide additional security.
                      yeah, i noticed that when i saw the pic. i'll have to find the "correct" neg. cable on my supposedly "correct already" car...

will definitely do the back up ground also... done that way too many times already w/fiberglass corvettes and the avanti ...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        My '57 Cadillac still had vacuum wipers, crank windows and no radio!
                        IIRC, the 1956 Continental Mark II also had vaccuum wipers. A prime case of Henry being 'cheap'; even on a $10K car, which was the most expensive US-built car when it came out.

Craig

Comment

Had a 57 Lincoln with an under the floor battery. It took a contortionist on steroids to replace it.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            Chris, any chance you can build a new battery box in you school's shop class? I recall my high school shop class having a metal brake, a shear, a spot welder, MIG and TIG welder, etc.
                            Not a chance. My school got rid of auto and metal shop with "budget cuts" a couple years ago. All they offer now is wood shop. I take wood shop now basically just for fun but it's just not auto shop...
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X