C/K Foot Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K Foot Wells

Well the time has come. The rust repairs to Sandi's 61 Hawk are nearing completion.
    Floors are already fixed.....but as the job progressed I looked at the foot wells every day.
    They are in good shape, but I keep thinking about how much exhaust clearance I would have if they were not there! Questions like "Are they really needed?" How much easier will it be to re carpet the floor if they are not there? Will it be more or less comfortable for rear seat passengers? Will it make seat belt instalation simpler?
    Lets' hear what you Forum guys have to say!
    Thanks
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
    Lets' hear what you Forum guys have to say!
    Questions like;
    Are they really needed?

Nope.

How much easier will it be to re carpet the floor if they are not there?

A little.

Will it be more or less comfortable for rear seat passengers?

Adult rear seat passengers will be bent like a pretzel, and will be miserable either way. Kids won't know, or care.

Will it make seat belt installation simpler?

Don't see how that would have any bearing on it.

If I were doing floor board work anyway, I might take 'em out... but, I didn't on mine.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

If I had my car in the state your cars are in, I would take them out...like the name says, these are FOOTwells, as only one of my size 11 feet fit in, so they are pretty much useless for FEET, and as Dave stated, adults don't like to sit in back,(footwells or not) because either way they will be hitting their chins on their kneecaps. When taken out, the interior looks so much cleaner with a flat floor, plus in my car I really needed rubber floormats (muddy back alley) and the flat floor made getting floormats to work so much easier. (I cut blocks of extruded foam to fit the footwells to make a flat floor) As Dave stated, kids don't care (at least mine didn't). Removal would indeed help clean-up the muffler install. Just some thoughts. Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'll jump on this bandwagon, in my opinion they are pretty much useless. I still have mine, but they are covered up to make carpeting easier and a cleaner appearance. On the rare occasion that adults ride in my back seat they don't seem to mind and the kids don't care either. Removing them definitely cleans up the undercarriage for other things such as exhaust as you mentioned.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Brian

These were one of the first things to go on my 53 they are now sitting on a shelf. As has been said, good enough for one foot, maybe that's why they put in two of them.... while removing them gives much more room for exhaust routing and mufflers.

Who wants to sit in the back anyway.
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Take em out Brian, they serve no purpose these days, Allen

Comment

I always end up in the back of the Hawks when we go somewhere my neighbor goes with us he's 80. So I sit in the back. Only one of my feet goes in there too I don't usually put my feet in them I sit kinda sideways and us the other foot space. So given a choice I would remove them. Makes it easier to get out of back there. You have to be a contortionist to get in and out of those seats. Your wife will like it better. Easier to clean too. Thats it thats the way to sell it.
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

I agree. After a few rides in our chapter presidents '62 G.T (Man, LOVED that car! Kinda want one now actually. Someday.....) for more extended periods of time, I stopped using them. My clod hoppers (12s) rendered them useless to me. Take 'em out
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:

and covered with LizardSkin

I figured there weren't going to be that many adults in the back anyway, and I wanted the under-car room for mufflers.
                  '53 Commander
                  Art Morrison chassis
                  LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I left mine in and still had room for mufflers; actually thought about going to the trouble of enlarging them; there's also room for that.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                      What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:

and covered with LizardSkin

I figured there weren't going to be that many adults in the back anyway, and I wanted the under-car room for mufflers.
                      First off, Continued nice work, you still need to post more.

Secondly, I'm curious why you chose Lizard Skin? Easier application, better insulation, less cost or ????

Just curious when I take on another project.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        First off, Continued nice work, you still need to post more.

Secondly, I'm curious why you chose Lizard Skin? Easier application, better insulation, less cost or ????

Just curious when I take on another project.

Bob
                        Well, thanks; don't want to hijack Brian's thread, but the Porsche 356 guys had some problems with Dynamat's adhesive backing coming loose on the bare roof (in the heat of parts of Southern California, well into triple digits) and falling into the gap between the headliner and the roof. Oops. So I looked for another way, and this is just one. Application is a job left to your painter, cause he will need a special gun. It's really thick, but I have to say that Dynamat is going to find its way onto the car regardless, in a lot of spots.
                        '53 Commander
                        Art Morrison chassis
                        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

[QUOTE=ralt12;530518]What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:

Wow, Ralt12, this is awesome work! Junior
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Did they just use a "Shultz Gun" used for rockguarding?
                            And yes I agree with Junior NICE WORK.
                            I thinks Sandi's foot wells are history tomorow!
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Now the Domino Theory starts! Withe the "Foot Wells" gone, for more exhaust clearance.....what about those under seat heaters?
                              61 Hawks have one on each side.
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X