electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric fuel pump

I just read the artical in the latest issue of TW concerning the electric fuel pump, I have a 51 Champion that is very hard to start after setting for a couple of weeks and this sounds like a good cure. I like the idea of the oil pressure safty switch the best but am trying to prevent using the starter so long to get fuel pumped up. Therefore the Ford enertia swith sounds like it would be the best. Have any of you used both methods and if so which one did you like best?

I have been installing solonid type at the fuel tank, hooking it up with a lighted toggle switch off the acc side of the ign. Turn the pump on, wait 5-10 seconds, start engine and turn the pump off. Also a good back up in case of vapor lock. Jim
    Last edited by DieselJim; 02-27-2011, 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I done the same as Jim, on my '53 Champion. A great improvement!
      Dave Pink
      Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
      1925 ER Tourer
      1925 Panel Delivery
      1953 Champion Sedan
      1957 Golden Hawk
      1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
      http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Did you guys use the regualtor? My Champion is still 6 volt and according to TW the 6 volt electric puts out 5 psi and I think that is about right for the machanical pump.

Comment

Quality Made in USA Fuel Pump

Here is a very good Compact 12Volt Electric Fuel Pump (6 Volt Also available) from a trusted SDC and Forum Member, not me just a friend.

NOT a selfless promotion!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just received this month's TW and it has a very thorough discussion of electric fuel pumps.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

You could use the oil pressure switch for safety and add a momentary contact button for priming.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I have electric pumps on all my Studebaker's. Sure makes it a lot easier to start them after not running for some time.
                Fred

sigpic

Comment

I put a electric pump on my 51. Before I put it on I was getting 7# pressure and after I was getting a little less than 5# pressure. So I took it off. When it sets for a while I just spray a little Carburetor cleaner in and start it.

Comment

A Champion should run just fine on 5 P.S.I. didn't it?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

But mine is a V8 it started out a 6 but in 1985 it become a V8
                      Last edited by Carl Purdy; 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

5 psi sounds a bit high.
                        I installed a 7psi Carter pump on the still 6 volt system. Works just fine. I just reversed the wires to turn the pump the other direction..!

I had to install a regulator (was planned anyway..) and I adjusted it to 3psi. It seems to love that pressure. No flooding and no starving at full throttle...which is where it's at most of the time...!

Right now it's just on a full manual switch. I turn the pump on to prime, off for starting, and back on for driving. No mechanical pump.

Mike

Comment

But mine is a V8 it started out a 6 but in 1985 it become a V8
                          That's not a big problem. I have a Holley FI pump on the Lark with a simple 3 port Holley regulator(modified to a four port for the supercharger reference line), and I just turn mine to the specifications on the carburetor. The R2 carb called for 7 psi, so I set the fuel pressure for 7 psi.

However, both the Lark and the '55 are fully electric and the pumps are always on when the car is on, there's no mechanical pump at all, just a block off plate where it used to reside. They both do have manual switches to shut them off if necessary.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                          X