X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Another update as we roll into 2013

The wheels have been at the wheelwright in Montana for some time now and we are anxious to get it rollin.

The spokes were old:

Hubs were carefully dismantled to check condition:

The rear wheel brake drums with sprockets removed:

The Hubs had to get bearings removed:

The bearings were disassembled, cleaned, hubs & sprockets sandblasted & painted.
    One rear hub was pretty battered on the back and had to machine the lock ring groove to get it back in. It was so pinched that they weren't sure they were going to get the lock ring out, to clean the bearings.

Checking out the spokes, most required new ones to be strong and true:

New Spokes were made and installed:

After a year of helping us search for correct original white solid rubber, they were able to locate some 2 1/2" white solid rubber!!!
    I couldn't believe it. Back in someones warehouse they found 48' of it, plenty to do our wheels.
    Although black rubber would have worked fine, they didn't have black rubber when this wagon was originally built.

Once the rims and rubber are finished, the wagon will be a rollin, rollin, keep those wagons rollin!

James Bell

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    One word, Amazing!
    I remember Curtis Publishing (Saturday Evening Post)
    of Philadelphia had a electric truck they used to take magazines to the Post Office with.
    Don't know if it was a Studebaker or not but, remember the Westinghouse plate near or on the motor.
    Thing was huge, but then I was a small kid.

Leave a comment:

• FlatheadGeo
    replied
    To quote the Britcom: "ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!"

Leave a comment:

• tomsamson
    replied
    Just bumping this thread for a year-end update.

Merry Christmas!

Tom.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Thanks for the lead Scott. I haven't tried them and will contact to see what they can do.
    They mention sending the wheels to do them and don't mention having embedded wires like the ones used (usually sold by length).
    Shipping of the wheels from eastern WA to MT shop was $540 one way, so I don't want to ship 2 ways back east if the rubber can be installed where it is.
    Black rubber is available from the Wheelwright where it is at a reasonable cost.
    Coker can only do custom order black solid rubber tires made and you have to ship your wheels out to Tennessee. Installed Rubber cost is $1,298 each (plus the shipping).
    I don't want to spend over 12K (more than most of our cars) on getting the wheels/tires done. The wheels still have to be painted and pin striped when they return.
    Hopefully they can provide the needed white rubber to the shop in Montana where it can all be finished and returned.
    We were also hesitant shipping the brake drum hubs and sprockets, if anything happens to them would be irreplaceable, but needed for proper mount on spokes.

Thanks,
    James

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Try these guys. They can remake solid rubber tires: http://www.cantonbandag.com/index.ph...rman%20Cushion and http://www.cantonbandag.com/index.php?page=Home. They are in Canton, OH. Good luck!

Also see this page for a picture of white tires they have done: http://www.manta.com/cp/mr5wwkz/4ef3...-and-new-tires.
    Last edited by Scott; 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimsLeadCommander
    replied
    Regarding the body being painted black: Could you 'fudge a little' and leave the 'bed floor' natural but, painted in a nice varnish or clear verathane type product so the wood grain shows through. I was looking at an old '42 Dodge pick-up the other day that was 'restored' with new paint on the outside and new very nicely finished boards in the bed. No one can see the nice wood grain bed floor looking at the outside of the vehicle...what do you think? An 'old/new' combo? Thanks for the new pictures with text!!
    Last edited by JimsLeadCommander; 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimsLeadCommander
    replied
    Hand built Craftsmanship; can't beat it. Quality you can be proud of, what a fine piece of workmanship you guys are performing for the rest of us. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person!
    Last edited by JimsLeadCommander; 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Solid rubber tires that are white.
    I’m only seeing pneumatic tires.
    The wagon wheels have a hot-set steel channel on the wheel to place a extruded (solid rubber) sheath with wires embedded in the rubber, that get tightened to grip the wheel.
    I'll give them a call tomorrow and confirm.

Thanks,

James

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Looks like they have several solid white tires available.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    I beleive we checked Coker and a few others who have white inflatable rubber tires (but will check again), but not solid.
    The wagon has solid white rubber without inner tubes.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    Try this link Chris:

http://www.cokertire.com/catalogsear...+tires&x=0&y=0
    There are 5 White tires listed.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    I seem to remember Coker offering solid white tires. I KNOW they are available b/c a lot of the Model T guys use them.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Sorry there was been some delay on this wagon, while working on the #1 Avanti and several other projects.

The wheels are rather unique and expensive to make, but they have been shipped to Engels Coach Shop in Joliet, MT to be done by a Wheelwright.

http://www.engelscoachshop.com/index.htm

This wagon was found in a barn near Hot Springs MT by a blacksmith and wagon restoration owner, who saved it to restore someday and passed away before it ever happened (sound familiar).

After spending a bunch of time trying to find solid White Rubber for the wheels, it seems to only be available in black.
    If you look at old pictures of vehicles that age, they were white because Rubber is Naturally White!

We have acquired side lamps needing restoration.

As you can see they bottom cap on one is missing and a top is squashed down, but not for long!

The lamps are mostly brass that will clean up nicely, but time consuming.

The battery trays are being built with pull-out sliders and the frame is about ready to then be bead blasted and powder coated the original color of red.

They even had some larger military electric vehicles.

Will try to post more pictures next month.

James

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    It is still there. I put new tires on it a couple of years ago so it doesn't set on jack stands now. Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X