Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Hawk
    replied
    James I have been watching the wagon rebuild with great interest, fantastic job. I look forward to the video of it's first drive. It's a pity Studebaker didn't build steam cars, that would have married my two great loves.

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    Thank you James! It's rare I'm right.
    Have to say, this post of your Studebaker Electric is among one of the best!
    I thank you for sharing with us.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Yes, Baker Electric was a completely different company.

Dwain, we got the first load in the wagon when Joan came out and placed fresh produce in the wagon from their garden to take home.
    The picture of the truck was only about a mile away from Cashmere with the river behind the truck and apple orchards in front of it.
    Studebaker's Restaurant is no longer there (it got sold to 49er Diner).

We may not be able to bring our electric wagon to St. Louis Meet, but it wouldn't be the only one that's ever been there -

James

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    To settle a discussion with friends...
    Studebaker had no connection with the Baker Electric Car Co. Of Ohio. Right?
    While growing up here in Pitman, there was a little elderly lady who would drive a Baker Electric least once a week well into the 1960's. Always had a 1950 NJ plate on it, police never bothered her.
    This how the conversation got started with some childhood buddies.
    To all involved in saving and restoring this Studebaker Electric...Job well done!
    Last edited by 57pack; 10-11-2014, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That is one sweet looking Wagon and one of a kind, beyond rare.

Great Pictures of the entire process of the final assembly and picking the Wagon up at Jerry's. Stephanie is to be congratulated on some really FINE progress photos.

I guess I really missed a lot by getting sick on Sat. and not making it to the Museum and Diner for the open house and Wagon unveiling. But once you get into those ER's you never get out for 4 or 5 hours at least.

Glad to see that Dave was able to help between his multiple trips to Los Angeles.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    James,

Thanks for the progress report! We are really looking forward to seeing your electric wagon when its all completed.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    James,
    I hope you picked up a few apples to munch on while going through Wenatche! I did that (and also dined at Studebaker's in Cashmere) after my visit to your fabulous diner & museum three years ago. That vehicle looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Bringing The Electric Wagon To Bellingham

After getting the wagon body mounted on its frame, it was ready to be loaded on the car trailer.

Gordon Bueling came over to Jerry's shop to help load it.
    We soon found out the added weight of the body on the rolling frame stand cracked the base board when trying to lift it.

Gordon added extra bracing to the bottom and we were able to use the fork lift.

Once it was lined up, I was able to back the trailer up enough to get the front on without hitting the fork lift wheels.

Then Jerry was able to lift the back and push it on the trailer.

We mounted the stand to trailer with more wood screwed to the trailer so the weight wasn't on the small stand wheels and strapped the wagon down.

Once finished, we were on a roll !!! (click to see video).

When was the last time anyone has seen a Studebaker Electric Truck being pulled by a 1958 Studebaker Truck?

We made a stop in Wenatche to pick up a Studebaker Boat (company owners were distant relatives)

We made the trip over the Cascade Mountains to Bellingham without a charge, or any problems, but got lots of looks.

Once home, the wagon couldn't be unloaded without adding the wheels, then removing the stand and rolling it off.

Dave Gahlbeck came over the next day and we got the remaining wheels on and the wagon off the car trailer. Thanks Dave!

The electric wagon looks different again with the wheels on it!
    The wheels still need to be painted and the metal hubs and brake drums get painted same red as frame.

Bell's Studebaker Diner & Museum 2014 Annual Open House had 153 people driving their Studebaker's to Bellingham, so Jerry and Joan were able to be with the electric wagon and explain all the interesting things about it!

It got a lot of attention and had a great time!

It still has things to finish, but it's a great example of what Studebaker did between manufacturing horse drawn vehicles and gasoline vehicles.

Thanks again Jerry!

James

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Installing Body & Frame

Before the body could be mounted on the frame, we needed to fix the frame that was bent in right front corner.

It may have rammed a loading dock, or something hard where it bends down and connects to the front of the leaf spring.
    The bend on the right side caused the left side spring connection to be off sideways from where it connects in the rear.

Almost like an expert chiropractor, Jerry knew how it would require bending the front right up a certain amount, to bring the rear of the left spring sideways where it should line up!
    A few measurements and off Jerry went to get some old school tools!
    I had to question how a big pipe wrench attached to a chain going over a certain size block of wood, then attached to mid frame, was going to fix the other side leaf spring.

After applying a tight chain binder we applied heat until it started to glow red (like the new paint I just burnt off).

Then I noticed the chain tension getting looser!
    So we measured it and found it went too far up, so Jerry gave it a couple good wraps with a hammer before it cooled off.

We measured again and still off some, but it was lunch time and Jerry said it may be different once cooled off, so we took a break.

Wouldn't you just know it, as luck has it, after lunch we measured again and it was RIGHT ON, so we bolted it up!
    YES!

It was time to take the frame outside and get the body with the fork lift.

All the wood we started with made me realize how far the project has come.

Then I realized we were not finished. And how quickly things can happen if your not paying attention.

Down it went and once the body holes were lined up with the frame holes, we placed the mounting bolts.

It was so amazing that all bolt holes line up except 1 needing very slight ream of the drill (a true measure of Jerry's Craftsmanship!).

Thought we'd call it a night, but after a great dinner cooked by Joan, we caught our second wind and Jerry showed me how the battery covers would be mounted.

Having a mentor is priceless and brings new energy and support to a project like this.

Wow, it really looked different with body on frame and battery box covers!

Thanks Jerry and Joan!

James

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Trucks and Wagons.

The following ad mentions:
    "The largest Truck order ever placed in this country was secured by Studebakers from Pierce & Co. of New York for 300 Electric Delivery Wagons,

Missing parts and repairs required research of both horsedrawn wagons and electrics of that time.
    Visiting museums, archives, etc brought leads and info that allowed us to search and make needed items.

Ours is a model 25 which was the smallest of commercial vehicles and we have chassis and drive train information for it.

We al

James

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    I am curious. From the early pictures, it appears this wagon got converted to being towed by either horses or a tractor, etc at some point and most of the electrical parts like the battery carriers, motor, etc were removed. I would assume locating such parts about near impossible and I see that you are fabricating a lot of them. Are you able to find old drawings from the museum or photos to go off or ??

What were the steel wheels on the rear from? Seems those were not correct. They sort of look like something from a farm implement.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Wouldn't this vehicle be a truck rather than a "wagon" (since it is a self powered vehicle used for hauling things)?
    Studebaker did call them 'electric wagons' in their advertising for them as per post #2 and the photo in #14 in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=electric

Of course the term 'station wagon' is still in use today, be it on a car chassis or a truck chassis.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Thank you for the updates.
    More important, thank you for undertaking this project.
    The work looks excellent.
    Wouldn't this vehicle be a truck rather than a "wagon" (since it is a self powered vehicle used for hauling things)?

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    The Wagon Frame

Once the wagon frame was blasted and painted, we went to see how it looked and took a few parts to discuss finishing the frame, battery box, etc.

It's amazing what an old rusty frame can look like with new paint.
    Jerry and his grandson Skyler hand painted the entire frame with 2 coats of paint.

The front right corner of frame was damaged at one time.
    It was pushed down inward and we needed to decide if worthwhile trying to fix it.

The battery box has sliding battery trays with handles and stoppers, so it's easy to maintain the 4 batteries.
    Since it requires 48 volts, (4) 12 volt modern batteries will be easy to get (just takes money).

Studebaker Craftsmen like Jerry are such a wealth of knowledge!
    Learning any of the old school ways to do things are so valuable!

Notice how the high tech internal expanding shoes were adjustable.
    The twisting of center piece expands the lower part of shoes outward and there are inserts that adjust from inside the shoes to adjust them.

I have such great appreciation for what both Studebaker and Jerry were able to do to this wagon!

James

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Wagon Wheels

Once the Wagon Wheels were done, we drove our 1963 Champ truck to pick them up in in eastern Washington.

We found another person taking a buggy to the Wheelwright in Montana. He was happy to drop the wheels off at Ron & DeAnn Hochhalter's shop in Sunnyside WA (where Avanti #1001 was being painted), so we picked them up there. At $540 one way delivery, it was easier to exercise the Champ truck since it has a factory 5speed Overdrive and does well on the highways.

We stopped to see Jerry and Joan before bringing the wheels over the Cascade mountains.
    Yes, there is desert with lots of sunshine in Eastern Washington

James

Leave a comment:

Working...
X