Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52-fan
    replied
    Fantastic! I was wondering a few weeks ago what had become of this project. I see it has been over a year since the last report.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Jim McClain has been a great help on the wagon since Jerry had moved into a smaller house without a shop.
    Jim has a wonderful shop and was even able to get Interstate Batteries to donate the batteries that power the Studebaker Electric Wagon!
    Original Edison batteries are not available and the new ones are better design and do a great job being reliable. A solar panel displayed in the back might get lots of attention with a very old Studebaker being powered by free energy (What kind of mileage does a 1902 Studebaker get?).
    Jim is a talented guy and knows how to get things done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	harrington 121.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1715861

Name:	IMG_1347.JPG
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1715862

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Wheels - Paint, Stripes & Booties

The Wheels received numerous coats of sealer, sanding and were painted several times to get a nice smooth finish to do some pin striping.

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1715857

Name:	IMG_1801.JPG
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1715858

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1715859

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1715860

We were fortunate enough to find an original photo showing this pin stripe pattern to use.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Steering - Tiller

The steering parts were missing when we got the wagon, so we had to determine how it worked and what to make.
    Jerry being a retired machinist, figured out the right angles and parts to make a Tiller that would swing up out of the way when climbing into the drivers seat.
    The parts and brackets were machined and installed with the brass handle.

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1715855

The lower pitman arm and reach rod was made to work as original.

Name:	IMG_1329.JPG
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1715856

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Hand Controller for Throttle Speed

The hand controller and all the electrical were installed and tested with everything working correctly.
    Power switch has a removable key like original and acts as a forward and reverse power switch.

Speed Controller

Power Key

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Lamps

The side lamps are still being restored, but mounts where placed were they belong and will add some Edison glow for the evening rides.

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1715851Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.JPG
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1715852
    Last edited by Bellingham Studenut; 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Updates - Sprockets

The sprocket on the rear drums were worn enough that the chain would climb out as the wheels spin, so a new ring gear was made.
    The front sprockets worked fine, but upon testing found the ratio made the wagon go too fast, so new front sprockets were installed giving it the correct ratio, speed and torque when controlling the throttle.

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1715850
    Last edited by Bellingham Studenut; 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by effiedude View Post
    I was wondering what type of Battery array are You using in Your Electric Car? Would You be interested in the Original Thomas A. Edison set for Your car? Just thought I'd share My Thomas A. Edison Nickle Cadmium Storage battery for the Studebaker Electric Cars. This One is in amazing working shape and is right down the road From the You
    Is that the older Type 'E', or the much improved Type 'A'?

Craig

Leave a comment:

• effiedude
    replied
    This set of batteries is the spare set that came from an estate that had an early Studebaker electric car, The buyer didn't take them as the original set had Studebaker stenciled on the battery box! but true these came from a buggy type two seater electric Studebaker car.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Studebaker may have used something like this in their Cars, but James' is a Electric Wagon, and definitely would be used as a Truck.

Interesting, if those Seven Cells were 2 Volts each, you would have 14 Volts!

The Wagon requires 48 Volts.

Leave a comment:

• effiedude
    replied
    James! I was wondering what type of Battery array are You using in Your Electric Car? Would You be interested in the Original Thomas A. Edison set for Your car? Just thought I'd share My Thomas A. Edison Nickle Cadmium Storage battery for the Studebaker Electric Cars. This One is in amazing working shape and is right down the road From the YouClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3594.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1705459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1705461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3591.JPG
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1705460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.JPG
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1705464Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3587.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1705465Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1705466Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1705467 in Sedro Woolley, WA. Yes James Bell, I would like to see Your car. I did see that Your original post said Your Electric Wagon is a 1902, Thomas A. Edison didn't have His Storage batteries available to the General public until 1903. FYI.

Leave a comment:

• effiedude
    replied

Name:	IMG_3594.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1705459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3591.JPG
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1705460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1705461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1705462Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1705463 Just thought I'd share My Thomas A. Edison Nickle Cadmium Storage battery for the Studebaker Electric Cars. This One is in amazing working shape and is right down the road From the Bells, in Sedro Woolley, WA. Yes James Bell, I would like to see Your car. I did see that Your original post said Your Electric Wagon is a 1902, Thomas A. Edison didn't have His Storage batteries available to the General public until 1903. FYI.
    Last edited by effiedude; 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    What a great video!
    What a wonderful project!
    Kudo's to all!

Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post
    The following link is for an interview with Jerry Gieseke, his wife Joan and the Studebaker Electric Wagon at the Bell's Studebaker Diner & Museum.

https://vimeo.com/135501235

James

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    The following link is for an interview with Jerry Gieseke, his wife Joan and the Studebaker Electric Wagon at the Bell's Studebaker Diner & Museum.

https://vimeo.com/135501235

James

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied

A St. Louis Bank also had the attached special Studebaker Electric Money Wagon driving around town.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X