No announcement yet.

Studebaker Electric Wagon Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich: Barney Rademacher's car was an 03 gas powered.
    The Electric at the 96 IM at the Queen Mary came out of Arizona.

studedick from the lower Ozarks
    Last edited by Dick Clemens; 02-24-2011, 05:10 AM.

Comment

This 1908 Studebaker electric is displayed at the Swigart Museum in Huntingdon, Pa. It is one of two built to carry legislators through the subway between the U.S. Capitol building and legislative offices. I believe the other still exists but do not know where it is displayed. Still a resource for evaluating battery and motive power.

http://www.swigartmuseum.com/
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Way cool James. Good on you for undertaking the restoration of that one.

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        I believe the other still exists but do not know where it is displayed. Still a resource for evaluating battery and motive power.
        Pretty sure it's in the SNM in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
          It was this one ....

That '02 looks huge! If my limited local Studebaker history memory cells serve me correctly, that info tag in that picture is incorrect. I'm fairly sure the 1902 vehicles were all built in Cleveland on Garford frames from their nearby Elyria factory. They moved all horseless production soon after to South Bend. Someone from the Antique Studebaker Club should know the exact final move date from Cleveland. 1903? '04?

By the way, great work, James. Looks amazing already.

Comment

I know nothing about it or the detailed history on the electrics, other than it was part of the concours and it was in the picture sets at a time where my interest in the Studes was in building a truck for the model car contest. Compared to the Runabout at Omaha, it does look fairly beefy though, but it is built in the same way the recent wagons of old were constructed.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Definitely looks beefy!

Comment

Oh wow!! That is amazing!!! I can't wait to see this beauty again!
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Hopefully it will be driving on September 10th for "Drive Your Studebaker Day" and on display at the Museum in Bellingham.
                  I'm hoping to have Jerry drive it after all the work he's been putting into it.

There may also be another very historical Studebaker displayed that day (during it's restoration).
                  I will give an update of that one on another thread soon.

It's a shame having to paint over the wagons nice woodwork, but originally it was painted black with red chassis (looking for lead paint & Whale blubber).

All electric Studebaker vehicles originally had Westinghouse motor's.

Note:
                  George Westinghouse married Marguerite Erskine Walker.
                  Their summer home - and the place Marguerite Erskine Walker loved the most, was Erskine Manor in the Berkshires in Massachusetts.
                  Mr. and Mrs. Westinghouse had one son (George III) who married and moved to Vancouver BC.
                  We purchased a 1932 Canadian built Rockne Sedan that came from a large Mansion owned by the Westinghouse family in BC.
                  Stored along with the Rockne were several high priced newer cars.
                  Why would they have such a low priced car if they could have bought a fancier President model?
                  And Albert Erskine was President of Studebaker when the Rockne was made?
                  Perhaps coincidence?
                  Another car, another story...

The wagon wheels had solid white rubber tires (prior to when carbon black was added to white rubber tires) and seem difficult to find replacements.
                  Black rubber is available, but would prefer white.

Looking for other pictures of commercial Studebaker electric wagons if anyone has some.

Thanks!

James
                  Last edited by Bellingham Studenut; 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM.
                  Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                  Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Hi James
                    It would be great to see it at the SDC meet in New West in August. If not, would it be possible to view it in Bellingham? Lucas tire has some white tires available. Don't know if they are solid or not. They are 30 X 3". I have attached a pic and the URL for them. Well done, so far! http://www.lucasclassictires.com/
                    BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	white tire.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1667361
                    sigpic
                    Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
                    41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      This 1908 Studebaker electric is displayed at the Swigart Museum in Huntingdon, Pa. It is one of two built to carry legislators through the subway between the U.S. Capitol building and legislative offices. I believe the other still exists but do not know where it is displayed. Still a resource for evaluating battery and motive power.

http://www.swigartmuseum.com/
                      The other one is here in South Bend in the SNM. I find it interesting that the one in your photo is varnished wood, but the other in the SNM is painted yellow. Interesting. I like the old electrics.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                        That '02 looks huge! If my limited local Studebaker history memory cells serve me correctly, that info tag in that picture is incorrect. I'm fairly sure the 1902 vehicles were all built in Cleveland on Garford frames from their nearby Elyria factory. They moved all horseless production soon after to South Bend. Someone from the Antique Studebaker Club should know the exact final move date from Cleveland. 1903? '04?

By the way, great work, James. Looks amazing already.
                        As I understand it Garford made chassis for the gas model cars only, electrics were done in house at South Bend. All bodies were South Bend built until the E-M-F deal of '08. (E-M-F/Flanders made there own bodies.)
                        The electrics resembled the horse drawn carriages so much, only motors and electricals had to be outsourced. Westinghouse, I believe.

Comment

Here's a picture of the SNM's Studebaker electric that was used in Washington D.C.
                          This one was called Peg, I can't remember what the other one was called.
                          I'm glad to see that the other one still exists!
                          John V.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Electric Wagon Update

Updates on Restoring the Studebaker Electric Wagon

Painted the undercarriage:

Restored the Tailgate:

Tailgate Chain:

Making the Seat:

Getting closer to finishing the body.
                            Then onward to the wheels, frame and some electrical!

James Bell
                            Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                            Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Beautiful work. And that wood is just georgeous!! Love what you are accomplishing.

Comment

I am thoroughly impressed with this work. It's amazing!
                                Chip
                                '63 Cruiser
                                '57 Packard wagon
                                '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X