This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Larks per day built in '63?

Does anyone know how many Lark were built per day in the 1963 model year? There is a Lark 2dr sedan on Ebay with a VIN 433 less than mine. Just wondering how many days apart they may have been built.
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

In Hamilton, Canadian production for 1963 models averaged at between 800 and 900 per month. It would depend on which month but you can probably make an educated guess.

Comment

In Hamilton, Canadian production for 1963 models averaged at between 800 and 900 per month. It would depend on which month but you can probably make an educated guess.

Comment

I once had two 56 Golden Hawks in my yard from two different parts of the country one number apart, go figure.

Studebaker On The Net
        http://stude.com
        Studebaker News Group
        http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
        Arnold Md.
        65 Sports Sedan
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2/4 speed
        63 Daytona HT
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT(parts car)
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I once had two 56 Golden Hawks in my yard from two different parts of the country one number apart, go figure.

Studebaker On The Net
          http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group
          http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
          Arnold Md.
          65 Sports Sedan
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Avanti R2/4 speed
          63 Daytona HT
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT(parts car)
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

According to Donald T. Critchlow's book, "Studebaker The Life and Death of an American Corporation" normal production was 60 cars an hour. This was undoubtedly the whole product line, not just Larks but Larks would have made up the lion's share. (Page 180).

Studedude1961
            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

According to Donald T. Critchlow's book, "Studebaker The Life and Death of an American Corporation" normal production was 60 cars an hour. This was undoubtedly the whole product line, not just Larks but Larks would have made up the lion's share. (Page 180).

Studedude1961
              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Does anyone know how many Lark were built per day in the 1963 model year? There is a Lark 2dr sedan on Ebay with a VIN 433 less than mine. Just wondering how many days apart they may have been built.
                Todd
                63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                Todd:

This question is interesting, but it would be impossible to answer correctly.

First, I note you are in Canada. Are the cars in question Hamilton or South Bend production, or one of each? [:I]

Second, production schedules varied widely from day-to-day during the 1963 model year. [:0] Some "working" days (i.e, a Tuesday or such), no cars were built. Other days were worked half-days to "balance inventory." [xx(] The car you are looking at could have been built the last half-hour of one day and the one you own built the first half-hour of another...or they could have been built the same day.

The Third Edition of The Standard Catalog of American Cars is dated 1992. It lists Studebaker as having built 17,401 "F" style (2-door sedan) cars during the 1963 model year. [] That figure is probably a little light (it might be a few cars higher) because I know some formerly-lost production records have been found since then and have added a few cars to what was thought to be the 1963 total.

If you figure 10 months of 5-day-per-week workdays, you could come up with a maximum of maybe 200 days available to build cars...but that wouldn't be realistic for Studebaker because Studebaker's 1963 sales did not support building cars every available working day for a full model year.

I'd honestly bet they didn't build cars 150 full, 8-hour shift days during the 1963 model year. But I emphasize; that's only an educated guess. It is based on having watched their daily production and sales figures during that time, as published in Automotive News. That's the weekly newspaper of the industry. My Dad still subscribed during 1963, when I was 17 years old, and I eagerly [] opened each issue to see how Studebaker was doing.

Rarely was there good news, I'm sorry to say... BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Todd
                  63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                  Todd:

This question is interesting, but it would be impossible to answer correctly.

First, I note you are in Canada. Are the cars in question Hamilton or South Bend production, or one of each? [:I]

Second, production schedules varied widely from day-to-day during the 1963 model year. [:0] Some "working" days (i.e, a Tuesday or such), no cars were built. Other days were worked half-days to "balance inventory." [xx(] The car you are looking at could have been built the last half-hour of one day and the one you own built the first half-hour of another...or they could have been built the same day.

The Third Edition of The Standard Catalog of American Cars is dated 1992. It lists Studebaker as having built 17,401 "F" style (2-door sedan) cars during the 1963 model year. [] That figure is probably a little light (it might be a few cars higher) because I know some formerly-lost production records have been found since then and have added a few cars to what was thought to be the 1963 total.

If you figure 10 months of 5-day-per-week workdays, you could come up with a maximum of maybe 200 days available to build cars...but that wouldn't be realistic for Studebaker because Studebaker's 1963 sales did not support building cars every available working day for a full model year.

I'd honestly bet they didn't build cars 150 full, 8-hour shift days during the 1963 model year. But I emphasize; that's only an educated guess. It is based on having watched their daily production and sales figures during that time, as published in Automotive News. That's the weekly newspaper of the industry. My Dad still subscribed during 1963, when I was 17 years old, and I eagerly [] opened each issue to see how Studebaker was doing.

Rarely was there good news, I'm sorry to say... BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was refering to South Bend production. Am I right that if a Lark was built with the sequence number 15565 there could be a Hawk right behind it and it would have a sequence number of 15566? I guess this Lark could be 3 or 4 days younger than mine based on 100-150 cars a day. That's why it looks to be in better shape than mine!
                    Thanks!
                    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I was refering to South Bend production. Am I right that if a Lark was built with the sequence number 15565 there could be a Hawk right behind it and it would have a sequence number of 15566? I guess this Lark could be 3 or 4 days younger than mine based on 100-150 cars a day. That's why it looks to be in better shape than mine!
                      Thanks!
                      Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Thanks!
                        Todd
                        63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Todd:

What you surmise is true IF your car is a V-8. I.e, if you car's Serial Number is 63V15565, the next number (63V15566) could have been a Hawk or any other V-8 model except an Avanti.

On the other hand, if your car is 63S15565, the next car would have had to be any six-cylinder model, not a Hawk (except export, of course, since 63S-K6 models were built for export). BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks!
                          Todd
                          63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Todd:

What you surmise is true IF your car is a V-8. I.e, if you car's Serial Number is 63V15565, the next number (63V15566) could have been a Hawk or any other V-8 model except an Avanti.

On the other hand, if your car is 63S15565, the next car would have had to be any six-cylinder model, not a Hawk (except export, of course, since 63S-K6 models were built for export). BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

This thread is interesting to me. I always look at serial numbers of any '63 V8 cars I see, to see how close it may have been in production to mine. I haven't looked at any that are very close, unfortunately. I have seen in the Jet Thrust News, that a fellow in Georgia has (or had) a '63 R1 Cruiser with an engine number just one after mine.

About a month ago I looked at a '64 GT Hawk at a local Stude meet that had serial number 64V-20170--built on the last day South Bend built Lark-types and Hawks. This car is only 32 cars from that last red Daytona Hardtop that's in the SNM.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 R1 Lark Daytona Skytop
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

This thread is interesting to me. I always look at serial numbers of any '63 V8 cars I see, to see how close it may have been in production to mine. I haven't looked at any that are very close, unfortunately. I have seen in the Jet Thrust News, that a fellow in Georgia has (or had) a '63 R1 Cruiser with an engine number just one after mine.

About a month ago I looked at a '64 GT Hawk at a local Stude meet that had serial number 64V-20170--built on the last day South Bend built Lark-types and Hawks. This car is only 32 cars from that last red Daytona Hardtop that's in the SNM.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 R1 Lark Daytona Skytop
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X