Help find Mary Anne's Avanti--gold '63 R1 with Powershift, serial 63R-2837

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
    Did Anne ever acquire a 1/24th scale GOLD Avanti? I have one - that I would trade for another color version.

Also, I see Anne is from Kansas - I helped move a group of Studes from KC Metro to Topeka about 5 years ago - one was a GOLD Avanti - Studebaker, possibly 1964. Owner was the daughter of the previous owner - she may still have this car.
    Drew, Mary Anne did get a gold Franklin Mint Avanti. I have one too. I'd have loved a turquoise edition which they started selling later. Do they sell any other colors?
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Mary Anne, hang in there, there are Avantis out there and look for a good one and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I think what helped us a lot in the 'search' was that we had the car's serial number, and we are very lucky that the Studebaker National Museum still has production and sales paperwork for the cars...which most other makes do not.

I would like to see a pic of the car now, even if it's mid-restoration.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        Drew, Mary Anne did get a gold Franklin Mint Avanti. I have one too. I'd have loved a turquoise edition which they started selling later. Do they sell any other colors?

Bill-

As far as I know - I do not think so. I used to build models - and built a amt version in Turquoise - with the 3-tone interior. Found out later - that i had painted the engine the wrong color - I did it in red, I believe it should have been in black (?). And I built it about 5 years before I learned about bare-metal foil - for the chrome trim. I really should re-do it.

The group of Studes that I helped move was featured in Turning Wheels - in 2003 (?) - I think. It was Charlie Laningham's stash of cars. I had a 63 Daytona Convert and a 64 Champ in my driveway over night. Doug (my brother) had a 63 Avanti R-3 at his house overnight. We all had some interesting experiences with those cars - driving them from KC to Lawrence for an AACA show, then on to Topeka. I think 8 of the 13 cars made the trip, and most had not been driven more than 20 miles per year, for the previous 5 years... Got to drive a GT Hawk, the Champ, the Avanti, and the Convert.

There was a gold, I think 1964 - R1 Avanti in the stash - with very low miles, that got moved. The Turning Wheels mag has a side view of a 1920's (maybe 1928) Cabriolet on the cover. All of the cars were for sale,, with the exception of the gold Avanti - but it might be worth asking about.

Drew

Comment

Working...
        X