No announcement yet.

Help find Mary Anne's Avanti--gold '63 R1 with Powershift, serial 63R-2837

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Bill, from my interpretation of all the posts, it seems that we are looking for a Gold R1 Powershift Avanti that at least when New anyway, was DELIVERED WITHOUT A/C, Correct?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      So Bill, from my interpretation of all the posts, it seems that we are looking for a Gold R1 Powershift Avanti that at least when New anyway, was DELIVERED WITHOUT A/C, Correct?
      That's correct, Rich.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        Craig, thanks for mentioning that fellow in your previous post. Ten days ago, I emailed him (got an address from the old 'alt.autos' Stude site). Haven't heard anything back yet, but also didn't get a 'mailer daemon' or other error message back. We'll see.
        Here are a couple photos that I took in May, 1984:

The only item I can see that might separate it from others out there is the rearview mirror on the driver's door as its not the 'Stratovue' mirror one commonly sees on Avanti's.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Here are a couple photos that I took in May, 1984:

The only item I can see that might separate it from others out there is the rearview mirror on the driver's door as its not the 'Stratovue' mirror one commonly sees on Avanti's.

Craig
          Thanks Craig! Mary Anne's was built without an outside mirror, as none are listed on the production order (unless an outside mirror was standard on an Avanti? I don't know). That could explain the non-'Stratovue' mirror. I notice the photo shows the car with an "Avanti" trunklid nameplate instead of the original "Studebaker", which might indicate paintwork. Interesting, though. I still haven't heard anything back, but it was an old email address. I've sent a person with that name, a message on Facebook. The guy looks young, though. Maybe a grandson.

That car is a fairly early serial no., like Mary Anne's, as I see it lacks the roof gutter trim.
          Last edited by Bill Pressler; 02-28-2011, 02:04 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Exterior rear view mirror was optional at extra cost, Bill, so, as you say, this one could have been added later.

Also, note that door's color. It is sufficiently "off" that the door has likely been refinished at some point, so who knows when the mirror was added...or if it was added to replace a factory-option mirror that was knocked off and a body shop didn't know where to get a Studebaker replacement (or didn't want to) in the 1980s.

Did I miss something in this thread? Is this Avanti (here, the one in Craig's pictures) supposed to be Mary Anne's Avanti? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Did I miss something in this thread? Is this Avanti (here, the one in Craig's pictures) supposed to be Mary Anne's Avanti? BP
              Bob, at this point, its an educated guess. This car was owned by an SDC member in Bismark, North Dakota in the early 1980's. It was/is the closest gold Avanti to Grand Forks that anyone knows of so far. Bill has attempted to contact Goldade's to find out its fate and the serial number to comfirm whether this is her car or not. And who knows, that door could have been repainted prior to the 1980's as well. Until we get some answers, the plot thickens....

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 02-28-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

There is a 1/24 scale on eBay right now with 5 days to go.
                Good Luck and Good Bidding.
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                  There is a 1/24 scale on eBay right now with 5 days to go.
                  Good Luck and Good Bidding.
                  Brian
                  Thank you Brian, I've passed the information onto Mary Anne.

I sent the particulars of a potential article, and the photo of Mary Anne and the car from "The Studebaker News", to Art and Ann, the editor of "Avanti" magazine, and Richard Lentinello from Hemmings. So, we'll see how it goes. Richard Lentinello almost immediately sent back an email saying they couldn't do it, as they'd be inundated with similar requests. I am 'holding back', but am compelled to reply that what makes this story different than the guy looking for his '63 Impala 283 with Powerglide, is the fact that it was generated from a February article in Hemmings, that we have a photo of the original owner from a Studebaker dealer publication, that she was a college girl buying an exotic car like an Avanti new (!), and that the pool of Avantis is way smaller than other cars. But hey, I understand (kind-of). I know he read my email quickly as he refers to Mary Anne as "May" (apparently from the date of the "Studebaker News" photo I attached!).

Lastly, the Bismarck Avanti shown in photos above may be serial R-3608 instead of Mary Anne's, as R-3608 was a similar car shipped new to Bismarck. I haven't heard anything from my couple of attempts to contact people named 'Grant Goldade' via email and Facebook.

I'll 'bump' this thread every so often just to keep it in people's minds!

Thanks all!
                  Last edited by Bill Pressler; 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM. Reason: Clarification (hopefully)
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Lastly, the Bismarck Avanti shows in photos above may be serial R-3608 instead of Mary Anne's, as R-3608 was a similar car shipped new to Bismarck. I haven't heard anything from my couple of attempts to contact people named 'Grant Goldade' via email and Facebook.
                    I have contacted Mark Soholt, and he mentioned the car was sold to an insurace company and in turn sold to someone who rebuilt it, so that's good news. Unfortunately, no one ever followed up as to where it went. But......Mark has told me he still has in his files a printout from 1985 or so, of every Studebaker still registered in North Dakota at the time when the Roughrider Chapter there was recruiting new members. This Avanti serial number will definitely show up on it, and later today, he will contact me when he locates it.

Craig

Comment

Great detective work, Craig. I'm sure Bill & Mary Anne will be excited about that, especially if it pans out. It's good to see other people save files forever, too. It's not too popular in my house, but at least I know where things are...even if it looks like junk to the unappreciative!

Comment

Thanks Craig; your help is very much appreciated! And Dave...you didn't make it to York either?!
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Had to work..go figure.

Comment

mary annes avanti

Hi everyone
                            The Avanti that Goldade had is not the Avanti that was Mary Annes car. I have known the car since new & belonged to a man that was the mgr. of Cook Sign in Fargo,ND. John would drive his Avanti down main street in Fargo with his arm out the window & the pipes making noise all the way to the next lite.
                            Gary Olson 701.361.2768 There is more to this story.

Comment

Just ask JP... He's probably sold it two or three times

From an earlier thread:
                              <snip>
                              Mary Anne wants to find her car. I'm trying to put the word out there.
                              <snip>.
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by paxton bloR View Post
                                Hi everyone
                                The Avanti that Goldade had is not the Avanti that was Mary Annes car. I have known the car since new & belonged to a man that was the mgr. of Cook Sign in Fargo,ND. John would drive his Avanti down main street in Fargo with his arm out the window & the pipes making noise all the way to the next lite.
                                Gary Olson 701.361.2768 There is more to this story.
                                Thanks for the update, Gary. I am still waiting for Mark to produce the 1986 printouts from the ND DoT which have serial numbers along with the owner's name and address. As of yesterday evening, he located a later printout from the early 1990's which do not have serial numbers; only owner's name and address and licence plate numbers. If he locates the 1986 paperwork, perhaps it will show if Mary Anne's Avanti was still registered in North Dakota up to that time.

As for posting in more information on Val Goldade's Avanti and if you know of it current status, start a new thread on it. I'd like to know more about that one. Thanks

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X