Stolen Studebaker Alert, now w/ 2 photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Studebaker Alert, now w/ 2 photos

This just in from Indy Chapter SDC Member Andy Hess. This car is reasonably complete but needs a full restoration. I'll post a picture of the rig later, but wanted to get this out ASAP: BP

My newly acquired 1938 Commander State sedan and car trailer have been stolen from the storage facility on West 10th street here in Indianapolis. I have attached a picture of both the car and the trailer. The trailer has 1961 Studebaker full wheel covers on it, and a jack with a wheel on the right side of the tongue. The car was covered with a large blue tarp.

Andy's Commander had lanquished on consignment in a small hobby collector car store for several years in little Bainbridge IN maybe 60 miles due west of Indianapolis, where I had seen it [inside] before Andy bought it. All parties finally got together on it last year some time.

Andy bought it and pulled it onto his trailer and had it stored in a place he felt was secure until he could take it home. IIRC, it had been there maybe 3 or 4 months before it disappeared. Bummer.

There just aren't that many of these around and the car is far from operable, although it was said to run maybe 12-15 years ago. So I hope this Amber Alert causes someone to see this rig flying down the interstate. If you see it, be assured that it isn't being pulled by the rightful owner unless the guy's Drivers License says Andy Hess!

Andy is a super-nice guy who would have done this car proud in due time. I hope we can nail it down for him. Thanks for all keeping their eyeballs peeled.BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-19-2011, 08:57 AM. Reason: add second photo of rig and further description
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

It is exactly this kind of thing that boils my blood. I truly hope the car and trailer finds it's true owner. Good Luck, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Does Mr. Hess have any pictures of the trailer and/or car to post on here? It might be very helpful.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Does Mr. Hess have any pictures of the trailer and/or car to post on here? It might be very helpful.
        Just posted, Milaca. Thanks for keeping your eyes open. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. I'll try to find the ad again.
          Allen

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
            i saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. i'll try to find the ad again.allen
            try real hard, allen! bp

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Those modern Turn signals and Three bumper Guards should make it easy to spot.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I looked at all of the search sites again that I checked the last few days and I don't see it. Do you have a picture of the drivers side. I could tell if it was the one i saw.
                Allen

Comment

I saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. I'll try to find the ad again.
                  Allen
                  Is this the one you saw?
                  http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2210254107.html
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

I looked at all of the search sites again that I checked the last few days and I don't see it. Do you have a picture of the drivers side. I could tell if it was the one i saw.
                    Allen
                    No, Allen; the above is the only photo I have.
                    I have sent this link to Andy Hess, but I'm not sure if he is registered on the forum.
                    He may see your post and supply other photos.
                    Thanks for trying. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Wow :: I inquired about that car recently . It was for sale last year and cheap too . Wish i would have snatched it up . Could have used a ton of parts off it for my rig . . . . . . . . .
                      Hope all turns out well .........

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                        Wow: I inquired about that car recently. It was for sale last year and cheap too . Wish I would have snatched it up. Could have used a ton of parts off it for my rig . . . . . . . . .
                        Hope all turns out well .........
                        Yes, the car had been advertised off and on in various venues more than two years. Like many projects, the asking price was simply too high for what it was, although it was certainly more than a parts car.

Andy got there about the time the "dealer" and his friend who had it consigned, decided it really needed to leave, and would talk turkey with Andy...in fact, IIRC, it was at our SDC Indy Chapter "Thanksgiving Dinner" that Andy showed us the pictures and told us the story of his newly-acquired pride and joy.

Let's hope he gets it back. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I recently received an email from Richard Poe concerning this stolen car. I have posted it in our newsletter which should go out the first of the week. If we spread this information out far enough we are bound to find this car. Let's just hope it is found before something ugly happens to it.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

5PM Saturday, February 19, 2011: 'Just got this dispatch from Andy Hess. I had asked him if he had any other details, when he thought it was stolen, etc. Obviously, it was sometime between January 1 and February 16. (The posted pictures were taken earlier without the tarp, when he first bought the car and it was strapped down from having made the trip back to Indianapolis from Bainbridge.) With the security cameras and all, this should be "solvable." At least we'd hope so:

Bob: I checked on the car and trailer 12/31. Everything was fine. Thursday [Feb 17] I went and started the '50, and went to the storage place and found it gone. Car and trailer were covered with big blue tarp and tied securely. Of course that was gone too.

The facility is locked, with a gate operated by keypad; both outside and inside. There is a security camera; hopefully something can be seen from that. I'm sure that they wanted the trailer - there was no way to know what was under the tarp. Hopefully the car is not cut-up, crushed, or worse!

They probably had an "oh-s***" moment the first hard stop - the car was not strapped down on the trailer!

Thanks for your help on this.
                            Andy and Cathy

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The first thought that I had was that every storage facility that I know of has security cameras to record everything that comes and goes through the gate. I hope that Andy can get the plate number and description of the vehicle that pulled it out.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X