Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foglamps 53-54 and 55

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Foglamps 53-54 and 55

    How do you tell the difference in the 53-54 and the 55 foglamp bumperettes?

    I thought someone on the forum already covered this with a photo or a drawing, but I can't find anything with my searches.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Don, they look the same but since the 53-54 bumpers are smaller than the 55 the cut is different, they will not enter change. your package is all wrapped and ready to go...Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California


    Comment


    • #3
      How is the cut different?

      Can you describe?

      Comment


      • #4
        The cut follows the convex shape of the '53/'54 front bumper for those lights, and the '55 lights follow the convex shape of the '55 front bumper. The bumpers are different '54/'54 versus '55.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
          How do you tell the difference in the 53-54 and the 55 foglamp bumperettes?

          I thought someone on the forum already covered this with a photo or a drawing, but I can't find anything with my searches.

          Can anyone help?

          Thanks
          Maybe these will help.

          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

          Comment


          • #6
            I've placed a '55 lamp housing in front of the housing on my '53. These aren't the best photos but may give some indication of the difference. They are subtle and, without two to compare or a bumper to test fit, you could still choose the wrong one. By the way, the '55 housing is for sale. Passenger side only. It's got no lamp, was triple show plated by LiBrandi of Middletown, PA. $100 delivered to York is less than what I paid for the plating.

            From the outboard side you can notice the arc is more pronounced on the '55 than on the '53-'54.


            From the inboard side you can notice the '55 has a more pronounced arc where it meets the top of the bumper.
            Last edited by rockne10; 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

            Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks so much everyone for your help and insights. I feel I am a little wiser now about 53-55 foglamps, but not very much smarter.

              I now know something more about how the 53-54 and 55 foglamps differ in configuration, but still cannot recognize the difference between the two just from a stand alone photograph of one foglamp bumperette. Perhaps after handling the two types and matching them up to the different bumpers I will be able to do that.

              Thanks again for explaining the finer points of recognition, I know you went to some effort to do so.

              Best regards,

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                Thanks so much everyone for your help and insights. I feel I am a little wiser now about 53-55 foglamps, but not very much smarter.

                I now know something more about how the 53-54 and 55 foglamps differ in configuration, but still cannot recognize the difference between the two just from a stand alone photograph of one foglamp bumperette. Perhaps after handling the two types and matching them up to the different bumpers I will be able to do that.

                Thanks again for explaining the finer points of recognition, I know you went to some effort to do so.

                Best regards,
                Think "V" shaped cut out on '53s/'54s. Think rounded cut out on '55s. ">" on '53s/'54s, ")" on '55s
                Last edited by 53k; 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Don, Which ones do you need? I have a pair of '55s I would trade for a pair of '54s. They are complete, no damage, but need to be replated.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                    Don, Which ones do you need? I have a pair of '55s I would trade for a pair of '54s. They are complete, no damage, but need to be replated.
                    Thanks, but I have a '54 K and am looking for a pair for it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      Think "V" shaped cut out on '53s/'54s. Think rounded cut out on '55s. ">" on '53s/'54s, ")" on '55s
                      Thanks Paul, that helps.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X