studebaker doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    I need the piece to which the inside door handle attaches, drivers side, 55K. Some yahoo used vicegrips instead of a door handle and the splines are fudged.. If someone can help me out, please pm me. Car's coming out of storage in a month and would like to be able to exit the car without rolling down my window
    Post a picture of what you need, I have several used pieces for K series door mechanisms laying around. I'll be home 3/2/11.

Bob

Comment

Sorry, Bob. The car's in storage. Hope to get one while it's away. If you take your inside door handle off the splined shaft, remove the inner door panel, I believe the shaft mechanism is attached to the door with about four bolts. If your parts are already out, I need the shaft and whatever is attched to it. Thanks!
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
        Everybody is looking for 53-56 C/K doors at the right price. These will be very easy to move. eBay is where your bib money is, but it would be nice to se them stay in Canada. We are always having to pay shipping out of the USA.
        Good Roads
        Brian
        To try to prevent problems/misconceptions - these doors are for a '53-'56 K body, not C body.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry, Bob. The car's in storage. Hope to get one while it's away. If you take your inside door handle off the splined shaft, remove the inner door panel, I believe the shaft mechanism is attached to the door with about four bolts. If your parts are already out, I need the shaft and whatever is attched to it. Thanks!
          If you have no luck with parts, PM me or bump the post 3/3/11 and I'll look at my parts and take a picture or two to see what you need. Or if you have a parts manual, PM the numbers and I'll match them up with my book.

Bob

Comment

While they will fit others, with the holes I THINK I see, they appear to be '55 K doors. I think they'd require some hole filling to fit the other cars.

John

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I'll check the body parts catalogue and get the exact desciption. You must be wintering somewhere warm? OK, just looked in the book! Part # 297939, CONTROL, left door remote. looks like just two bolts to hold it in. The shaft is attached to a plate and a small cam lever that connects to the door latch linkage. Do you think SI might have one? Didn't see it in their catalogue.
              Last edited by warrlaw1; 02-20-2011, 06:10 AM. Reason: found the parts catalogue

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                To try to prevent problems/misconceptions - these doors are for a '53-'56 K body, not C body.
                Sorry Gary
                I was not trying to mislead anyone as to what these doors were. My statement was a general one on the popularity of the earlier C/K doors as oppossed to the smooth doors used on the 57 and up models. And yes you are correct these are definitely "K" doors. A Good snag for anyone who is in need of these.
                Good Raods
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I'll check the body parts catalogue and get the exact desciption. You must be wintering somewhere warm? OK, just looked in the book! Part # 297939, CONTROL, left door remote. looks like just two bolts to hold it in. The shaft is attached to a plate and a small cam lever that connects to the door latch linkage. Do you think SI might have one? Didn't see it in their catalogue.
                  I think I know what you are looking for. I think I have a couple that are splined and a couple that are square shafted. I believe you said you needed the splined? If you don't find any before that, I'll PM you a picture to be sure.

And yes, we are in Florida for the month of February.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    Hello Ken.

Send me an e-mail or private message via this Forum, and let me know what you want for the doors. I don't need them myself, but I have storage space, and I could pass them on to somebody who needs them. I am at a wellsite near Edson, but I will be passing through Spruce Grove on my way home next week if we finish up on schedule.
                    I have more then enough storage space. I am only posting these here to find out what they fit before posting them on e-bay.

Gary - thanks for identifying them for me, and thanks everyone else for putting in their 2 cents worth to help figure out what they are.

If anyone is interested in these doors and would like to make an offer feel free to send me an email.

I really like this forum and will be coming back to see whats new once or twice a week. You guys have something great going on here. I have been to other forums and cancelled my membership within a week or 2 but I think I will stay with this one. I love the older cars, all makes and models alike, and would love to restore a Studebaker some day, but I am a mechanic and at the end of the day I don't want to work on any cars anymore. Sometimes I don't even want to see a car driving down the road. (especially the way some people drive)

Ken V

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                      While they will fit others, with the holes I THINK I see, they appear to be '55 K doors. I think they'd require some hole filling to fit the other cars.

John
                      John:
                      If you can tell me which holes you are talking about then I will get a better picture of these holes and post it so I can be absolutly sure.

Comment

I believe they went to the splined in 56 held on with a clip . 53-55 were square and held on with a screw. I have a couple sets of the splined version with a flat link to the latch.
                        There is also another later version which uses a wire link to door latch though they are interchangeable if you use the corresponding latch.

Comment

Leyrret, the window regulators are square and handles are held on with a screw/ Door handles go over splines and are held on with a screw. It's a 55K and I have reason to believe they are factory. This one had splines but the vice grips flattened them enough to ruin the splines in the door handle. I have replacment handles but unless I replace the shaft it will continue to ruin door handles.

Comment

I'm sure if they are held on with a screw they are originals. The ones I have are from 56. They use clip instead of screws. I replaced mine with later NOS latches and remotes which required the wire link so I didn't use the originals. If you can't find the correct one it may be possible to drill and tap a later version

Comment

Working...
                            X