Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy 500 pace car reunion May 2011 How many Studebakers will be there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500 pace car reunion May 2011 How many Studebakers will be there?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1297755182
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Incidentally, none of the original four Studebaker pace cars are known to have survived.
    Dick: Are the Serial Numbers of the actual two prewar Pace Cars known, should one turn up? (Since we know the Serial Numbers of the Postwar Pace Cars, I just wondered if that is true of Studebakers two Prewar Pace Cars.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I will try to find the name and address of the guy that bought our 1962 Indy 500 festival car and see if he has the restoration done.
      Richard
      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Frank G. of Maine owned a restored Maui Blue '52 Commander convertible with red leather seats for many years. He bought it from Bob Y. of NC who had it restored by the S Bros. of PA. I do not know who now owns this car. I think that it either went to NJ or Canada. Frank is a snow bird and in FL at this time if someone wants to start the trace. Hopefully, the current owner of the '52 will come forward on his own.
        Somewhat related. I was involved in Frank's finding and buying a 1951 Commander convertible (near here) that he had been searching for for some time. The car was still original in Maui Blue and red leather. Frank didn't want the '52 and '51 to look so much the same, so when he had the 1951 restored he had the color changed. I would have kept the 1951 in its original color and had the two cars look similar, but it was his car and his money. Frank no longer owns the 1951 either.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

One of the neighbors is currently building a '62 replica. Don't think it will be done in time though. I would like to know the serial number of the '40 pace car. I can only hope it's G-41927... (Don't think it is though)
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Some photos of pace cars:

Chris Dresbach

Comment

'Nice to see the Gulling business in your 1940 photo, Chris. Gulling Small Engine is "the" place in Indianapolis for such products to this day, but from the sign on the window, must have been Gulling Auto Something back then:

http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/p...ll_engine.html

BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sorry Chris the actual pace car was a Deluxe model finished in Ruby Red. Many years ago when Jim Maxey still owned your car I checked the production order on it. If it had been the pace car you would not be the owner today! The serial number for the ’40 pace car was G73306. I think Wilbur Shaw may have been given an identical but different car though there are no records that I have found that would substantiate this.

As for the ’29 President pace car we do not have a serial number for that car. It was not however the one shown in the photo you posted. That Indy 500 museum photo has been circulated around for many years and it has always been an irritation to me since it is not the actual pace car. First note the “ornament” shown on the headlight cross bar. Studebakers of 1929-30 had nothing like this so I am not sure whether it was artist enhanced or just how it came to be. The actual pace car is shown in the two photos above and you will note that it has nothing like that but only the oval with the “8” in it. Note too the larger wheel hubs, the stainless spokes and the Firestone racing tires as well as the graphics on the rear. The rear view of this car shows the actress Anita Page at the wheel and famed Indy driver Harry Hartz at the passenger door. She was at Indy in 1929 with a large production crew making a film entitled “Speedway” that was released later that year (it is a “silent” and is still available on DVD). Another observation re this particular vehicle, it is a model FH on a 125” wheelbase. On at least three occasions in the past few years I have seen major publications refer to this car as a model FE. Not so, the FE was on a 135” wheelbase and there were no roadsters ever built on the longer FE wheelbase chassis. This is what I refer to as a "recurring mistake." The first writer makes the error then it is copied again and again by subsequent writers and no one makes an attempt to correct the error so it is perpetuated and becomes "fact." How often has that happened?
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  As for the ’29 President pace car we do not have a serial number for that car.
                  With the front plate clearly visible in the photo, it would be interesting if the Indiana DMV still has copies of vehicle registrations dating that far back stashed in the basement of one of the government buildings in old wooden filing cabinets somewhere. That way, one might be able to back-track the serial number from the old registration.

Craig

Comment

Interesting discussion, all.

Dick: I believe the superflous adornment you cite on top of the crossbar "8" on the alleged Pace Car is something like a "tag topper" of the Indianapolis 500 Winged Wheel trademarked graphic.

They have used that almost forever with little change. It may have been an accessory sold by the Speedway and someone just fastened one of them to the President's headlamp crossbar right on top of the "8" emblem for publicity shots such as this. ('Probably didn't use ZIP ties, though.)

As for an error being repeated often enough to become fact, I must say I had never considered the possibility(!) until you postulated same. My gosh, I can see where that might happen, now that you mention it. <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      With the front plate clearly visible in the photo, it would be interesting if the Indiana DMV still has copies of vehicle registrations dating that far back stashed in the basement of one of the government buildings in old wooden filing cabinets somewhere. That way, one might be able to back-track the serial number from the old registration.

Craig
                      Tried that many years ago, nothing back that far.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

On the general topic of the Indy 500 the United States Postal Service is issuing a new stamp on May 20 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first 500 mile race. Appropriately perhaps the stamp will feature the first ever winner a 1912 Marmon "Wasp" (a slightly stylized rendition). It was driven by Hoosier native Ray Harroun who finished the grind at an average speed of 74.602 mph and picked up a check for $14,250 for his trouble. He was 1:43 seconds ahead of second place driver Ralph Mulford driving a Lozier. Harroun's Marmon was one of only 5 cars in the event running a six cyl engine all the others were Fours (however the average displacement for all 40 cars was 460 c.i. so they were BIG fours!). Some claim Harroun's victory was due in part to the fact that he had installed a new device on his car that was unique for the time. What was that device?
                        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-16-2011, 03:08 AM.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Rear-view mirror!---- Was it a 1912 or 1911 Marmon?

Comment

A few years ago, I had the vin numbers of the Pace Car and the back up ran through the State Police. Those vin numbers do NOT come up anywhere in Indiana or surrounding states. I'm not sure if they were run nationwide. I can maybe have them run again. It is like my 52 commander, it sat dormant in a garage from 1975 thru 1990 when I bought it and re-registered it.
                            They still could be around, but---

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                              A few years ago, I had the vin numbers of the Pace Car and the back up ran through the State Police. Those vin numbers do NOT come up anywhere in Indiana or surrounding states. I'm not sure if they were run nationwide. I can maybe have them run again. It is like my 52 commander, it sat dormant in a garage from 1975 thru 1990 when I bought it and re-registered it.
                              They still could be around, but---

Jim
                              Jim; I wrote a rather comprehensive article on the 1952 Pace cars as well as all the Studebaker support vehicles at Indy for the TW Almanac in April 1999. Besides the two cars prepared for pacing the race there were 20 Commanders of various body styles, three Champions and four R Series trucks. In it I listed the serial and body numbers of each and ask SDC members if any of the numbers matched any known vehicle. I received no responses.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X