Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A $175,000.00 ’56 Golden Hawk on the auction block...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A $175,000.00 ’56 Golden Hawk on the auction block...

OR ...at least that’s what the promoter would like you to believe!!!

Just posted to a '56J related web site: http://tinyurl.com/4a7p47v

So what's this Group's guess of what it will go for??? My guess-timate would be upwards of $65K.
    Last edited by Welcome; 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM.

Believed to be one of only four Golden Hawks produced for 1956 that feature dual four-barrel carburetors that resulted in 330bhp and 425 pounds-feet of torque.
    I thought that was a dealer installed option!
    Show me the production order!

Never mind, I can't buy it this month. I got bills to pay.

Comment

The auction house shows it's stupidity via junk research!

In 1956 Packard had two V8s.........the 352 275 bhp........and the 374 which had a bhp of 290...........this was known as the Caribbean engine and indeed had dual quads. I have never seen nor heard of a '56 GH from the factory with the 374 version...........maybe the dealer installed but not oem.

Comment

Single 4-barrel 374 had 290 hp; the dual quad version was 310. No factory dual quads on 56 Golden Hawks, or 374's either; they were all single 4-barrel 352's.
        Last edited by black56hawk; 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

My excuses for not buying:
          1. $145,000.00 is my top offer.
          2. I wanted one with only one four barrel carb.
          3. Wrong color.
          Any others?
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Unusual for an auction company. Usually they put the estimate low to get buyers thinking they might get a steal and therefore show up. By going ridiculously high they make serious buyers stop looking and go elsewhere.

Must be they're counting completely on unknowledgeable ego millionaires to bid.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It looks like they've priced it like a "1 of 4" offering from the "Big Three".

"Hey, a rare GTO or 'cuda is worth 175...why not a Studebaker?"
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Every time I see the write-ups from auction companies, I wonder how they avoid being sued by buyers for misrepresentation. A bidder has one too many comp martinis, pays way too much, gets buyer's remorse and then has everyone tell him the car he bought is a fraud.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

They print what the owner tells them, then cover themselves in legalese which basically says.."Hey, this is what the owner told us".

It's up to the buyer to perform due dilligence...the company can only be sued for blatant fraud.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I sent Auction America an e-mail challenging their description. Wonder if they'll bother to reply?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Nice enough looking car, but you'd think for that money they could at least put the correct wheels (or at least some real wires) and chrome the horn ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        I sent Auction America an e-mail challenging their description. Wonder if they'll bother to reply?

jack vines
                        I also wrote to the auction company (before today) and did not get a reply.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"The 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk was among the last cars ever built that were powered by a Packard V-8 engine."

And not that far from the first, either.
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Wrong exhaust deflectors and must have been one of a few that came with modern screw type hose clamps. the guy painting the engine missed every visible bolt............lol. It does havea battery hold down so Bob Palma would be proud.

I'd sell mine for "slightly less" if anyone has the urge..........lol.
                            sigpicIt is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              "The 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk was among the last cars ever built that were powered by a Packard V-8 engine."

And not that far from the first, either.
                              Now there's a good trivia question I've not researched and, therefore, cannot answer definitively:

Was there ever an all-new engine that was in production only two (or even one) model year(s) and never used again by the parent company in any iteration? BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X