X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Bob,I think I'm gonna lay down a fly strip or something ?that oughta stop it .<G>
    Surely you are not referring to me, sir. I have no idea what bug you guys are seeing...?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Here's some tips from this carrier:

Your box has to be an approved box- that is, no cobbled wood boxes or doors with latches
    Make the post from what you like, provided the box is firmly fastened to it
    Box must be about 45" from ground to bottom of box
    Not too far back off the shoulder of the road
    Your CORRECT house number on both sides, at least 3" tall
    Box approach MUST be kept clear- no cars, no trash cans, NO SNOW
    Carrier must be able to drive up, serve box, AND drive away, without having to back up
    If you plow, one quick swipe with the blade is all you need to do!
    If you have any questions, sit in the passenger's seat of you car and simulate delivery, and drive away. That tells the story pretty quick

Yes, all of the above should be common sense, but amazingly, it isn't. I think it's a testament that mail delivery is like electricity or water- nobody ever gives it a thought until it stops <G>

Postal fact: The older the customer, the more likely the box will always be tip-top shape and perfectly accessible.

Another Postal fact: The younger the customer, the more likely the box will be inaccesible and poorly maintained- and more likely to piss and moan...

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Bob,I think I'm gonna lay down a fly strip or something ?that oughta stop it .<G>
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    ?? Love what??

Leave a comment:

• LarkTruck
    replied
    Hey Jon, Didn't take it as a slam. Gee Bob, aren't your arms 6ft long like my customers think mine are? Thanks all for supporting the USPS!
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I'm not a mail carrier, but have noticed some very shabby and un-maintained mailboxes around where I live. Aside from not taking a few minutes to shovel snow away from the box, people let trees and tall weeds grow up next to them and some simply set a box atop a stack of concrete blocks or a 55 gallon barrel rather than using a proper post. I also notice some being very low to the ground and a large percentage not having the home address labeled on the box. This doesnt bother me, but it would if I was delivering their mail.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    I drive an older car just for that reason.

I would gladly settle for just moving enough snow so I can get to the box. And no, a two-foot u-shape is not nearly enough.

At the minimum, don't whine that your welfare check didn't get delivered because I couldn't find your mailbox.

Yes, that really happens.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
    Why do you think there should be scratches on the right fender? Not all of us Rural Carriers scrape the mail boxes! (But it does leave nasty marks when you pull away and the lid falls open!) Thought about having a Rural Router Stude to use on the route in nice weather, but I'd probably spend too much time splainin to my customers what a Studebaker is, let alone why the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!! :-)
    Guess I'll just stick with my RHD Cherokees. JS
    Not a slam against rural carriers. You said it yourself, lids fly open when you drive away. The condition of the mailboxes is a constant problem for rural carriers and I never knew a rural carrier that was exempt from scratches - no matter how careful they were.

Maybe those reading this post can take a look at their box and go out and fix it up. I understand the mailbox is way down on the list of things to fix for most folks.

Leave a comment:

• stude-sled
    replied
    The floor rust was fixed by laying sheet metal over the rust. The trunk floor and side are also very rusty.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    The bug, Bob, the bug!! And I don't mean no VW. That is soooo neat! And I so apologize for feeling like the thread has been hijacked........................

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    ?? Love what??
    First time I saw that avitar I tried to swat the bug on my screen!
    Tough little critter, ain't it!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    oooh, Bob, I love it!
    ?? Love what??

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by gohdes View Post
    if the "body is sound (suface rust)...", as advertised in description, why did the floorboards need to be replaced? Hmmm.....
    You're probably right, the outer body likely has some rust issues....but not necessarily. I have a '63 Champ cab from Arizona that has a perfect outer body but the floors needed replacement as they apparently held dirt & moisture. Could possibly be that the Champ and this car had rubber floor covering that held moisture against the floorboards.

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    my 1st thought was this would be a nice project for our aussie friends, however i suppose the shipping would be a killer... cost the same to ship a perfectly good one or a rust bucket. but would the cost savings for it already being a right hander make up for part of the shipping cost?

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    oooh, Bob, I love it!

Leave a comment:

• LarkTruck
    replied
    Originally posted by Sdude View Post
    There's no rear view mirror on the right (drivers) side. That's a good sign it was used to deliver mail. I didn't see the tale-tell scratches on the right front fender though.
    Why do you think there should be scratches on the right fender? Not all of us Rural Carriers scrape the mail boxes! (But it does leave nasty marks when you pull away and the lid falls open!) Thought about having a Rural Router Stude to use on the route in nice weather, but I'd probably spend too much time splainin to my customers what a Studebaker is, let alone why the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!! :-)
    Guess I'll just stick with my RHD Cherokees. JS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X