Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet
    replied
    Wow Thank you for a great education on these. My main intent was to make an awareness of this vehicle that I saw on ebay and in the process learned quite a bit. I am not selling nor am in any way associated with the car or ebay seller.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• studelark
    replied
    Originally posted by Bullet View Post
    Did Studebaker make a rural router in 1962? This looks like it could be one...
    Mark
    This car may or not may be a rural router. It would depend on the body tag which is not noted in the eBay description. The serial number doesn't help us here.

The factory 'Rural Route' model (note not router) was introduced and promoted for the 1962 year. It was a model which evolved from the earlier Lark models referred to as "servere service" models. In 1963, the 'Rural Route' model was carried over. In 1964, the model was promoted as the 'Rural Router' (note the added 'r')and included the Champ truck in factory literature. All of the vehicles from the factory that were true 'Rural Route(r)'s carried body codes with the trim level designated with the number code 3. My 1963 'Rural Route' model carried the body code 63V-Y3 and it was purchased by and used for 200,000+ miles as a rural mail delivery car.

Just because a Studebaker is a right hand drive configuration from the factory does not make it a 'rural router'. Right hand control (drive) was a Studebaker factory option on cars and trucks going back for decades. RHC could be found on the top of the line models as well as the 'barebones' models. The car in question could be simply a four door sedan with the optional RHC from the factory. If it doesn't have a 3 in the body code, this car would be the latter.

Would like to hear other opinions, comments, or reflections on 'Rural Route(r)'s.

Frank Drumheller
    Locust Grove, VA
    60S-Y6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer bodied-fire truck
    Last edited by studelark; 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM. Reason: added information about trucks

Leave a comment:

• snowy_buffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
    How often has this car come up for sale....? I have seen it on craigslists earlier. The Ebay auction did not meet its reserve and I was outbid my whoknows.
    Tom
    Tom, It was on Springfield Mo. Craigslist several times getting cheaper and cheaper. Last I saw there was $700. It was even on eBay classifieds right before the auction listed at $700. Maybe they bumped their reserve back up to cover the eBay fees. So maybe $850 ???

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    replied
    I dont know if they made RHD in 62,but in summer of 63 on our family vacation trip to Rehobeth Beach from Penna. I saw a 61 2dr lark RHD in the act of delivering mail in Delaware.Counting Studebakers on long trips was a game we kids invented to pass the time and 63 was the best year for stude sighting with 34 total cars,trucks counted on the 400 mile round trip.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
    How often has this car come up for sale Bob? I have seen it on craigslists earlier.
    I recall seeing it maybe 3 or 4 times over the last couple years. I belive this was the first time on eBay.

Wonder what they're wanting for it? Probably best I don't find out.......

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    The stories about non-wood mailbox posts reminds me of my Dad's box- when I was a kid, a neighbor who liked to stay out until "bar time" knocked our box over a half-dozen times, until my Dad got a length of ship anchor chain, welded all the links together, and sunk it about 10 feet into the ground. The neighbor totalled his car on the chain not long after it went up. It was still there the last time I went to see the old house.
    PS and the rural carrier I have is awesome, he must be busier than all heck, but he comes up to the house to drop packages off! That NEVER happened at any of my old addresses.

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Each time that car comes up I think, how convenient, just bring the trusty tow dolly to the IM and haul 'er back!
    How often has this car come up for sale Bob? I have seen it on craigslists earlier. The Ebay auction did not meet its reserve and I was outbid my whoknows.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Sdude View Post
    Not a slam against rural carriers. You said it yourself, lids fly open when you drive away. The condition of the mailboxes is a constant problem for rural carriers and I never knew a rural carrier that was exempt from scratches - no matter how careful they were.

Maybe those reading this post can take a look at their box and go out and fix it up. I understand the mailbox is way down on the list of things to fix for most folks.
    I spent a little time this afternoon making a temporary fix on my mail box after the town plow broke the box off the post. When some snow goes away and I get some new bolts, I will make a better repair than the three bungee cords that are holding the box now.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    In our area, several mailboxes are built into brick "cornerposts"... definitely not "break away". Mine?... it is mounted on a piston and rod that is extending from a vertical standing Detroit Diesel crankshaft. That is bolted to a mounting post that is sunk in concrete. The mounting is by three bolts, so I can re-right it a bit when someone does back into it. That has happened twice. When the mailbox itself is hit, it merely swings the rod a bit on the crank throw & I can loosen the rod nuts and put it back in position.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    My favorite is when they take two or three crotch-deep steps into the snowbank to put in an outgoing letter and expect I can reach it from my van
    Gee Bob, That's contrary to what I once told one of my rural carriers. He was delivering his route during a flood and felt bad that he just couldn't get to a couple of his boxes because the water was mid door in debth. I told him that if he couldn't get to the mailbox, neither could the customer and the mail was safer back at the post office.

I always thought it was a great testiment to how dedicated postal workers really are.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    Bob, I suggest you purchase yourself a right-hand drive International Scout with snow plow.
    I actually had one that my Dad used, Brent! Talk about a freezing cold tin can It did end up as a plow truck till I replaced it with a 3/4 ton chevy with both floors AND heat

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    My favorite is when they take two or three crotch-deep steps into the snowbank to put in an outgoing letter and expect I can reach it from my van

Goes back to what I've been saying for a while now: Thinking has gone completely out of style
    Bob, I suggest you purchase yourself a right-hand drive International Scout with snow plow. No more problems, plus you'll look really impressive while delivering!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
    Gee Bob, aren't your arms 6ft long like my customers think mine are?

Goes back to what I've been saying for a while now: Thinking has gone completely out of style

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
    I'm reminded of a story my dad told me about. One of his customers had problems with a local kid who kept running over his mailbox. Several times he replaced the post, just to have it knocked down a few days later.
    Finally he got a length of rail (Railroad type) cut two 7 foot pieces and welded them together and painted them brown. This became his new mailbox post. A few days later he found an older pickup with the front end wrapped around his mailbox. When the truck was pulled away and he replaced the box one last time (Post was fine!) he never had any more trouble.
    This was probably a good lesson learner for that individual, but I believe in todays world all mailbox stands must be of a break away of some sorts.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    I'm reminded of a story my dad told me about. One of his customers had problems with a local kid who kept running over his mailbox. Several times he replaced the post, just to have it knocked down a few days later.
    Finally he got a length of rail (Railroad type) cut two 7 foot pieces and welded them together and painted them brown. This became his new mailbox post. A few days later he found an older pickup with the front end wrapped around his mailbox. When the truck was pulled away and he replaced the box one last time (Post was fine!) he never had any more trouble.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X