Rural Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Each time that car comes up I think, how convenient, just bring the trusty tow dolly to the IM and haul 'er back!
    How often has this car come up for sale Bob? I have seen it on craigslists earlier. The Ebay auction did not meet its reserve and I was outbid my whoknows.
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

The stories about non-wood mailbox posts reminds me of my Dad's box- when I was a kid, a neighbor who liked to stay out until "bar time" knocked our box over a half-dozen times, until my Dad got a length of ship anchor chain, welded all the links together, and sunk it about 10 feet into the ground. The neighbor totalled his car on the chain not long after it went up. It was still there the last time I went to see the old house.
      PS and the rural carrier I have is awesome, he must be busier than all heck, but he comes up to the house to drop packages off! That NEVER happened at any of my old addresses.
      Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
        How often has this car come up for sale Bob? I have seen it on craigslists earlier.
        I recall seeing it maybe 3 or 4 times over the last couple years. I belive this was the first time on eBay.

Wonder what they're wanting for it? Probably best I don't find out.......
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I dont know if they made RHD in 62,but in summer of 63 on our family vacation trip to Rehobeth Beach from Penna. I saw a 61 2dr lark RHD in the act of delivering mail in Delaware.Counting Studebakers on long trips was a game we kids invented to pass the time and 63 was the best year for stude sighting with 34 total cars,trucks counted on the 400 mile round trip.
          NEIL G.

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
            How often has this car come up for sale....? I have seen it on craigslists earlier. The Ebay auction did not meet its reserve and I was outbid my whoknows.
            Tom
            Tom, It was on Springfield Mo. Craigslist several times getting cheaper and cheaper. Last I saw there was $700. It was even on eBay classifieds right before the auction listed at $700. Maybe they bumped their reserve back up to cover the eBay fees. So maybe $850 ???
            \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
            \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
              Did Studebaker make a rural router in 1962? This looks like it could be one...
              Mark
              This car may or not may be a rural router. It would depend on the body tag which is not noted in the eBay description. The serial number doesn't help us here.

The factory 'Rural Route' model (note not router) was introduced and promoted for the 1962 year. It was a model which evolved from the earlier Lark models referred to as "servere service" models. In 1963, the 'Rural Route' model was carried over. In 1964, the model was promoted as the 'Rural Router' (note the added 'r')and included the Champ truck in factory literature. All of the vehicles from the factory that were true 'Rural Route(r)'s carried body codes with the trim level designated with the number code 3. My 1963 'Rural Route' model carried the body code 63V-Y3 and it was purchased by and used for 200,000+ miles as a rural mail delivery car.

Just because a Studebaker is a right hand drive configuration from the factory does not make it a 'rural router'. Right hand control (drive) was a Studebaker factory option on cars and trucks going back for decades. RHC could be found on the top of the line models as well as the 'barebones' models. The car in question could be simply a four door sedan with the optional RHC from the factory. If it doesn't have a 3 in the body code, this car would be the latter.

Would like to hear other opinions, comments, or reflections on 'Rural Route(r)'s.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-Y6
              1948 M16-52 Boyer bodied-fire truck
              Last edited by studelark; 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM. Reason: added information about trucks

Comment

Wow Thank you for a great education on these. My main intent was to make an awareness of this vehicle that I saw on ebay and in the process learned quite a bit. I am not selling nor am in any way associated with the car or ebay seller.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X