Rural Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
    Why do you think there should be scratches on the right fender? Not all of us Rural Carriers scrape the mail boxes! (But it does leave nasty marks when you pull away and the lid falls open!) Thought about having a Rural Router Stude to use on the route in nice weather, but I'd probably spend too much time splainin to my customers what a Studebaker is, let alone why the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!! :-)
    Guess I'll just stick with my RHD Cherokees. JS
    Not a slam against rural carriers. You said it yourself, lids fly open when you drive away. The condition of the mailboxes is a constant problem for rural carriers and I never knew a rural carrier that was exempt from scratches - no matter how careful they were.

Maybe those reading this post can take a look at their box and go out and fix it up. I understand the mailbox is way down on the list of things to fix for most folks.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I drive an older car just for that reason.

I would gladly settle for just moving enough snow so I can get to the box. And no, a two-foot u-shape is not nearly enough.

At the minimum, don't whine that your welfare check didn't get delivered because I couldn't find your mailbox.

Yes, that really happens.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm not a mail carrier, but have noticed some very shabby and un-maintained mailboxes around where I live. Aside from not taking a few minutes to shovel snow away from the box, people let trees and tall weeds grow up next to them and some simply set a box atop a stack of concrete blocks or a 55 gallon barrel rather than using a proper post. I also notice some being very low to the ground and a large percentage not having the home address labeled on the box. This doesnt bother me, but it would if I was delivering their mail.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hey Jon, Didn't take it as a slam. Gee Bob, aren't your arms 6ft long like my customers think mine are? Thanks all for supporting the USPS!
          Jim
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Bob,I think I'm gonna lay down a fly strip or something ?that oughta stop it .<G>
            Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            ?? Love what??
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Here's some tips from this carrier:

Your box has to be an approved box- that is, no cobbled wood boxes or doors with latches
              Make the post from what you like, provided the box is firmly fastened to it
              Box must be about 45" from ground to bottom of box
              Not too far back off the shoulder of the road
              Your CORRECT house number on both sides, at least 3" tall
              Box approach MUST be kept clear- no cars, no trash cans, NO SNOW
              Carrier must be able to drive up, serve box, AND drive away, without having to back up
              If you plow, one quick swipe with the blade is all you need to do!
              If you have any questions, sit in the passenger's seat of you car and simulate delivery, and drive away. That tells the story pretty quick

Yes, all of the above should be common sense, but amazingly, it isn't. I think it's a testament that mail delivery is like electricity or water- nobody ever gives it a thought until it stops <G>

Postal fact: The older the customer, the more likely the box will always be tip-top shape and perfectly accessible.

Another Postal fact: The younger the customer, the more likely the box will be inaccesible and poorly maintained- and more likely to piss and moan...
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Bob,I think I'm gonna lay down a fly strip or something ?that oughta stop it .<G>
                Surely you are not referring to me, sir. I have no idea what bug you guys are seeing...?

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I'm reminded of a story my dad told me about. One of his customers had problems with a local kid who kept running over his mailbox. Several times he replaced the post, just to have it knocked down a few days later.
                  Finally he got a length of rail (Railroad type) cut two 7 foot pieces and welded them together and painted them brown. This became his new mailbox post. A few days later he found an older pickup with the front end wrapped around his mailbox. When the truck was pulled away and he replaced the box one last time (Post was fine!) he never had any more trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
                    I'm reminded of a story my dad told me about. One of his customers had problems with a local kid who kept running over his mailbox. Several times he replaced the post, just to have it knocked down a few days later.
                    Finally he got a length of rail (Railroad type) cut two 7 foot pieces and welded them together and painted them brown. This became his new mailbox post. A few days later he found an older pickup with the front end wrapped around his mailbox. When the truck was pulled away and he replaced the box one last time (Post was fine!) he never had any more trouble.
                    This was probably a good lesson learner for that individual, but I believe in todays world all mailbox stands must be of a break away of some sorts.
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                      Gee Bob, aren't your arms 6ft long like my customers think mine are?
                      My favorite is when they take two or three crotch-deep steps into the snowbank to put in an outgoing letter and expect I can reach it from my van

Goes back to what I've been saying for a while now: Thinking has gone completely out of style
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

My favorite is when they take two or three crotch-deep steps into the snowbank to put in an outgoing letter and expect I can reach it from my van

Goes back to what I've been saying for a while now: Thinking has gone completely out of style
                        Bob, I suggest you purchase yourself a right-hand drive International Scout with snow plow. No more problems, plus you'll look really impressive while delivering!
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          Bob, I suggest you purchase yourself a right-hand drive International Scout with snow plow.
                          I actually had one that my Dad used, Brent! Talk about a freezing cold tin can It did end up as a plow truck till I replaced it with a 3/4 ton chevy with both floors AND heat
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Gee Bob, That's contrary to what I once told one of my rural carriers. He was delivering his route during a flood and felt bad that he just couldn't get to a couple of his boxes because the water was mid door in debth. I told him that if he couldn't get to the mailbox, neither could the customer and the mail was safer back at the post office.

I always thought it was a great testiment to how dedicated postal workers really are.
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

In our area, several mailboxes are built into brick "cornerposts"... definitely not "break away". Mine?... it is mounted on a piston and rod that is extending from a vertical standing Detroit Diesel crankshaft. That is bolted to a mounting post that is sunk in concrete. The mounting is by three bolts, so I can re-right it a bit when someone does back into it. That has happened twice. When the mailbox itself is hit, it merely swings the rod a bit on the crank throw & I can loosen the rod nuts and put it back in position.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                                Not a slam against rural carriers. You said it yourself, lids fly open when you drive away. The condition of the mailboxes is a constant problem for rural carriers and I never knew a rural carrier that was exempt from scratches - no matter how careful they were.

Maybe those reading this post can take a look at their box and go out and fix it up. I understand the mailbox is way down on the list of things to fix for most folks.
                                I spent a little time this afternoon making a temporary fix on my mail box after the town plow broke the box off the post. When some snow goes away and I get some new bolts, I will make a better repair than the three bungee cords that are holding the box now.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X