Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More history found. Still have questions.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More history found. Still have questions.

    In researching the history of my 1950 2R5, I have found some info. The pickup was painted Bell System blue and shipped from SB to Steelweld equipment in Robertson, MO. I made contact with the vice president of Steelweld, who started with them in 1955. He explained to me that they were a stop over for 100s of trucks of all brands between the factory and the dealership. Steelweld manufactured and installed ladder racks and bed side tool boxes for Bell Systems. I did receive a promotional photo of a Studebaker pickup bed with the tool boxes installed from Steelweld. I am still looking for a photo of a 2R5 in service with the telephone company, but am not having any luck so far. Can anyone help?

  • #2
    Originally posted by pushrod63 View Post
    In researching the history of my 1950 2R5, I have found some info. The pickup was painted Bell System blue and shipped from SB to Steelweld equipment in Robertson, MO. I made contact with the vice president of Steelweld, who started with them in 1955. He explained to me that they were a stop over for 100s of trucks of all brands between the factory and the dealership. Steelweld manufactured and installed ladder racks and bed side tool boxes for Bell Systems. I did receive a promotional photo of a Studebaker pickup bed with the tool boxes installed from Steelweld. I am still looking for a photo of a 2R5 in service with the telephone company, but am not having any luck so far. Can anyone help?
    Holy Cow! If he started with them in 1955, even at age 18, he would still be 73 years old today! Quite a tenure. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

    Comment


    • #3
      perhaps this link will help...

      http://www.museumphones.com/facts3.html
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

      '51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

      '40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

      Comment


      • #4
        The vice president, Mr Clark is in his 70s and only works one day a week.

        Comment


        • #5
          Saw that one, but was hoping to find a photo taken in the 50s.

          Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          perhaps this link will help...

          http://www.museumphones.com/facts3.html

          Comment


          • #6
            '55 Pacific Bell System Truck

            This is posted as a '52 but is a '55, it looks very savable.


            With those front wheels and the flared rear wheelwells, I am going to guess a 1 Ton, possibly a Dually!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              This is posted as a '52 but is a '55, it looks very savable.


              With those front wheels and the flared rear wheelwells, I am going to guess a 1 Ton, possibly a Dually!
              I bet that Bell truck is now in the Bell museum by now!!

              Craig

              Comment


              • #8
                Bell System Truck in the Bell Studebaker Collection?

                Lol! Craig, I'll bet that Stephanie and James WISH that it were!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not an in-service photo or from the 50s but it's a nice truck nonetheless.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	BellTelTruck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1667192
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very nice truck. Mine still used the original bed, just had the add on boxes and ladder rack that fit in to the stake holes.
                    Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                    Not an in-service photo or from the 50s but it's a nice truck nonetheless.

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7106[/ATTACH]

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X