X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny and 40 (Champion) pics

Actually it was in the low 50's...
    [IMG][/IMG]

notice the trunk area has the worst of the original paint. after trying a couple of polishes, ended up using clay bar and meguiars cleaner wax (already had it ). haven't done the wheels and 'caps yet.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Looking good... enjoy the ride.

Comment

Lookin good....maybe even better without those fender skirts!! A few small points. That car is so nice it deserves some detail refinements. Both the gear shift ball and the cowl vent regulator knob have been replaced with non original parts. The original parts can be ordered from the Shrock brothers in Coalport, PA see:
      http://www.shrockbrothers.com/studeb...ion_parts.html

Also I have replacement hub caps....guaranteed to be better than NOS (although I should have taken some chrome cleaner to the one above before photographing it). If interested get in touch with me directly.
      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-10-2011, 02:38 AM.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Lookin good....maybe even better without those fender skirts!! A few small points. That car is so nice it deserves some detail refinements. Both the gear shift ball and the cowl vent regulator knob have been replaced with non original parts. The original parts can be ordered from the Shrock brothers in Coalport, PA see:
        http://www.shrockbrothers.com/studeb...ion_parts.html
        Also I have replacement hub caps....guaranteed to be better than NOS (although I should have taken some chrome cleaner to the one above before photographimng it). If interested get in touch with me directly.
        thank you for the information, sir... i haven't got around to the fender skirts yet. i did find a knob in the glove compartment that might be the gearshift ball (the one on the right)...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0392.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1667177

also, i haven't got to the wheels and caps yet...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0395.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1667178
        dirtier than yours i'll pm you if i can't clean 'em up...

i'll research the cowl vent knob, and the gearshift ball (if necessary) w/ shrock bros soon...

might have to take a day or 2 off - exhausted after a few 12 hour days and still only 5 weeks out from my knee replacement...

thanks again!

Comment

That is the model I learned to drive on in the 50's, put a lot of miles on it and had a lot of fun. Enjoy it.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Your car is stunning. I'd like to see it in person. Do you plan on taking it to Springfield for the Intl. meet?
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

thanks chris for the kind words.

i really want to go to springfield - right now it's a matter of finances - doctor bills to pay, etc. and talking mrs. corvanti into it...

while bidding for the '40, i thought about your '40 and wished mine would be a 2 door also. however, i do like the "suicide doors" as "they" call them. so many folks my age to yours have never seen them in person.

i've also been following your work on the "N" project. it would be so cool if you're able to possibly find a donor frame, etc. suitable to find and/or fabricate other parts to "make it so"...
              Last edited by Corvanti; 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

You have a great-looking car, and I'm certain you will enjoy it. I can empathize with you because I had just gotten my '40 Commander where I wanted if when it was t-boned and totalled. (There's a picture of it on this site.) I bought it back from the insurance company and already a totally rust-free replacement that I found in Arizona. Hopefully, with a new paint job and other switched parts, I'll have it back on the road by summer.

I was born and raised in the southern Appalachians, basking in the admiration of smitties, fender-skirts, mud-flaps, and a "bird" on the hood. (There were other less important decorations for cars such as half-moons, headlight shields with marbles, fog lights, spot-lights, sun-visors, blue dots and ona and on. I still have a strong liking for dual exhausts and fender skirts. Most cars with fenders similar to yours wore tear-drop skirts, but I noticed that you fender skirts are shaped similar to the wheel opening like the '41 Commanders had to have. If you take the skirts off, hang on to them because you will probably want to try them again later, and they just might be the deal clinchere if you ever decide to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                  You have a great-looking car, and I'm certain you will enjoy it. I can empathize with you because I had just gotten my '40 Commander where I wanted if when it was t-boned and totalled. (There's a picture of it on this site.) I bought it back from the insurance company and already a totally rust-free replacement that I found in Arizona. Hopefully, with a new paint job and other switched parts, I'll have it back on the road by summer.

I was born and raised in the southern Appalachians, basking in the admiration of smitties, fender-skirts, mud-flaps, and a "bird" on the hood. (There were other less important decorations for cars such as half-moons, headlight shields with marbles, fog lights, spot-lights, sun-visors, blue dots and ona and on. I still have a strong liking for dual exhausts and fender skirts. Most cars with fenders similar to yours wore tear-drop skirts, but I noticed that you fender skirts are shaped similar to the wheel opening like the '41 Commanders had to have. If you take the skirts off, hang on to them because you will probably want to try them again later, and they just might be the deal clinchere if you ever decide to sell.
                  saw your t-bone pic: ouch! hope your '40 "replacement" goes well...

maybe i'll take one skirt off, take a pic and hold a poll...

i also have an original external "sun-visor" in primer that came with the car. i'm thinking about getting it painted and installing...

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    thanks chris for the kind words.

i really want to go to springfield - right now it's a matter of finances - doctor bills to pay, etc. and talking mrs. corvanti into it...

while bidding for the '40, i thought about your '40 and wished mine would be a 2 door also. however, i do like the "suicide doors" as "they" call them. so many folks my age to yours have never seen them in person.

i've also been following your work on the "N" project. it would be so cool if you're able to possibly find a donor frame, etc. suitable to find and/or fabricate other parts to "make it so"...
                    I certainly hope you can make it to springfield. The two door '40 Champions are good looking cars, but be glad you have a four door. Sometimes it gets to be a pain to have to get out to let the passengers in the back out. It would seem strange that the driver would have to get out to let the rear passengers out, but I have a (incorrect) seat cover over my front seat and when the seat folds forward it messes up the cover if somebody is sitting on it... I got my two door (and the car alone) by sheer luck. I saw it sitting in the neighbors yard and fell in love with it and looked at it from the road for years (at least it seemed like years). I commented that I was interested in it, but Jim didn't really want to sell it to me (yet) without my drag car driver uncle checked it out first. Long story short, my uncle has only ever seen the car in his driveway shortly after I got it and I got the car for $1,600. Deal of the century. I get more stragne looks when I drive it, and that alone almost makes owning it worth it. It's also so dang old. By today, when I say "I own a Studebaker" typically people think "Oh, a Lark or '60s". I like Larks, but NOBODY expects a 1940 and that really makes owning it fun. Car shows too, NOBODY expects a 17 year old to be the owner. Ok, enough boaring you with my '40 story...

The N project needs two donor cars actually. I need to find myself a '53 sedan frame and a complete '51 front end with engine and something for an interior. I also need to find '51 Starlight or bussiness coupe doors. Someday that car WILL be on the road!!!
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                    X