Matthew's Feb. 2011 TW article, "Lifelong Relationship"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew's Feb. 2011 TW article, "Lifelong Relationship"

Matthew, great job on that article! I love reading about one-family cars, and/or cars known since new! Great photos, too. Thanks for writing it.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Thanks Bill! That story has to be one of the most enjoyable ones that I've written. Learning all about Sue and her Studebaker history was fun to do and the article came out looking great when printed. I appreciate the kind works.

Comment

That was a VERY good article from Matthew.

One correction - The Daytona four door sedan is a 1964, not "1965" (none made in the 1965 model year).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, a great article. How wonderful that Sue saved all those old-timey, period family photos with the car. That really "makes" an article like that. Good show. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congrats are in order both to Sue and her family for taking such good care of the car, and to Matthew for doing such a great job of telling the story.

Comment

Here's what I find interesting:
            The picture from 1955 shows the rear window to be the style used from 47-50? So had the top already been replaced at this point in the car's life? The photo from 1975 in Village Grove clearly shows a larger plastic (?) rear window. Recent photo on page 42, lower right---hard to tell, looks like smaller framed-glass 47-50 style. Just wondering if it currently has the correct plastic window in it?
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I saw this car in Glendale and made pictures of it, but I made none of the engine. I can't remember if it is a six of V-8. Which is it. The story in TW doesn't say. That is certainly an interesting story and a good job writing it.

Comment

It's a Commander V8 with Overdrive.

Comment

Matt, do your English teachers from high school know you are a published author?
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                    Matt, do your English teachers from high school know you are a published author?
                    Not that I'm aware. Unfortunately, the one English teacher that I know would appreciate knowing, and was the most influential to me, has passed away since I graduated.

Comment

Working...
                    X