X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdrnec
    replied
    Originally posted by JDP View Post
    I think he used a adapter and he used a cable throttle, but we'll get back to you.
    Exactly, with a 6V electric fuel pump. Cable throttle rocks, takes all the slop out of that Rube Goldberg linkage nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• pdrnec
    replied
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    FWIW, all four cars drove off the truck with very little trouble. They all seem to have brakes that work well and each car started from a long slumber with just a one second shot of nitrous..... I mean, ether. The lights worked and I drove each one into the barn and parked them in the reverse order from which they will emerge. Truck first, Brown Cruiser second, 62 2 door third and the 50 Champion last. The Champion needs a little attention under the hood. Hopefully we'll see the truck tomorrow.
    More significant, I drove all four on to the trailer - and wasn't that an adventure, taking a running start in reverse to go uphill on those ramps

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Thanks for that date, that tells me how long ago I bought it.
    Yep, John, I well remember that date. It was at that meet that organzier Sam Roberts (no longer playing with Studebakers) told me the late Earle Haley's son George might want to sell Earle's Astra White 1964 Daytona sedan.

Two months later, I was in Troy, MI picking it up...and still have it, of course. BP

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Spokejr, I personally didn't go to the estate but my buddy Leon did and intern purchased a 64 R1 Daytona Hardtop that they had as well but wasn't listed. All I can say is Shane Williams is a pleasure to deal with and sent me as many photo's as requested and informed me everything about the car I needed to know. If you are interested in talking to him about any other cars they have for sale here is his number 707-337-1497. I don't think Leon inspected that Hawk because we were not interested in buying it.
    Hey Bob you are spot on again in your Vin numbers as always!
    Regards Brian
    Last edited by packardHawk58; 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Sal, that would be especially significant for the '64 Cruiser. I saw the car exactly nine years ago, in June 2002, when Lee and Debbie DeLaBarre drove it to an SDC Chapter meeting in Warren IN. IIRC, it has factory disc brakes, right? That being the case, and as much as they cost to fix, it is important they are still working well! BP
    Thanks for that date, that tells me how long ago I bought it.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    FWIW, all four cars drove off the truck with very little trouble. They all seem to have brakes that work well....
    Sal, that would be especially significant for the '64 Cruiser. I saw the car exactly nine years ago, in June 2002, when Lee and Debbie DeLaBarre drove it to an SDC Chapter meeting in Warren IN. IIRC, it has factory disc brakes, right? That being the case, and as much as they cost to fix, it is important they are still working well! BP

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    FWIW, all four cars drove off the truck with very little trouble. They all seem to have brakes that work well and each car started from a long slumber with just a one second shot of nitrous..... I mean, ether. The lights worked and I drove each one into the barn and parked them in the reverse order from which they will emerge. Truck first, Brown Cruiser second, 62 2 door third and the 50 Champion last. The Champion needs a little attention under the hood. Hopefully we'll see the truck tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Since you've been out to see the Williams estate, what did you think of the `62 Hawk GT's that are listed on Hemmings, particular the gun metal grey one?

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    We had these hauled to Sal's this AM for ebay prep.
    John - That is a truck loaded, not a "loaded trailer". It is a straight truck with ramps, not a truck/tractor with trailer.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    FWIW, the 2bbl bolted on the stock 1-bbl intake will only help a very little bit. The Commander engine is a 4-3/4"-stroke 1930s flathead design and literally everything is a top end bottleneck.

If you want more power, a turbocharger is your answer. (Yes, DD was right about a few things ;>)

jack vines
    It may not add much HP, but Pat said it made it run a lot nicer and did not hurt the fuel economy.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
    JDP..
    Looks like a nice truck.. Is it as good as it looks? What are you going to ask for it?
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, CO
    We are not sure yet, until we get finished with it, but it will probably be north of 6K.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    our '60 Champ 245 Pickup, it has never had any top end power with that tiny one barrel.
    FWIW, the 2bbl bolted on the stock 1-bbl intake will only help a very little bit. The Commander engine is a 4-3/4"-stroke 1930s flathead design and literally everything is a top end bottleneck.

If you want more power, a turbocharger is your answer. (Yes, DD was right about a few things ;>)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    JDP..
    Looks like a nice truck.. Is it as good as it looks? What are you going to ask for it?
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, CO

1954 3R11 pickup, big six/OD. long bed.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post

While you are on the subject of Bermuda Brown Studebakers, the Daytona I bought from the Williams estate, a bit rusty but cheap.
    True, Brian, but IIRC, that is the very last 1964 Daytona convertible built in South Bend, correct, Serial #64V20073, right? Worthy of far more consideration than 'most others, and you are fortunate to have it; that it survives at all! BP

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied

While you are on the subject of Bermuda Brown Studebakers, the Daytona I bought from the Williams estate, a bit rusty but cheap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X