No announcement yet.

Avanti R2 Fuel Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's anything like the system I have, it takes the pulsed signal off of the tach signal on the distributor, which if I recall was the (-) side on the coil. The signal tells it when to inject the fuel. They may have a separate kit for the timing. For mine it's an extra pin on the connector for the EDIS equipment, and additional software that's loaded onto the ECU.
    There also seems to be two different recommendations going on from two major parts houses. One is saying that it's easy to set up with forced induction, the other is saying forget it, it doesn't work. I'd be real surprised if it didn't support forced induction, considering how modern the system is. I mean even my own system, which is just a notch above the Heathkit type of electronic kits, has all of this stuff ready to go in the ECU. In all actuality, the literature tells me that as long as the rest of the engine is set up to handle boost, the MAP sensor on the back of the ECU should have no troubles as it can read between 2-36 psi. If you want anything larger, such as using it on a tractor for drag racing, or you're modifying a diesel locomotive, you'll need to modify the ECU by changing out the 2 bar MAP sensor for a larger 4 bar MAP sensor. The 4 bar MAP sensor can then read up to 44 psi.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

PlainBrownR2
      Now I am really confused.. Thier own site says forced induction won't work! That is a disappointment.. I wil have to call several of these folks when I am close to making a decision..
      Ron

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
      If it's anything like the system I have, it takes the pulsed signal off of the tach signal on the distributor, which if I recall was the (-) side on the coil. The signal tells it when to inject the fuel. They may have a separate kit for the timing. For mine it's an extra pin on the connector for the EDIS equipment, and additional software that's loaded onto the ECU.
      There also seems to be two different recommendations going on from two major parts houses. One is saying that it's easy to set up with forced induction, the other is saying forget it, it doesn't work. I'd be real surprised if it didn't support forced induction, considering how modern the system is. I mean even my own system, which is just a notch above the Heathkit type of electronic kits, has all of this stuff ready to go in the ECU. In all actuality, the literature tells me that as long as the rest of the engine is set up to handle boost, the MAP sensor on the back of the ECU should have no troubles as it can read between 2-36 psi. If you want anything larger, such as using it on a tractor for drag racing, or you're modifying a diesel locomotive, you'll need to modify the ECU by changing out the 2 bar MAP sensor for a larger 4 bar MAP sensor. The 4 bar MAP sensor can then read up to 44 psi.
      Ron Husak
      Conifer, CO
      Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
      63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

After seeing that from FAST EFI, and after what I put up from MTP turbo, now we all confused ......

Yeah, this is going to require some further investigation ....
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
          PlainBrownR2
          Now I am really confused.. Thier own site says forced induction won't work! That is a disappointment.. I wil have to call several of these folks when I am close to making a decision..
          Ron
          Ron

Remember you are only talking EZ EFI from FAST. There user programmable systems will do boost, Just not the self programming EZ EFI. But they only claim fuel control not timing control like an OEM or Holley do with the correct distributor.

Looks like a lot of decision making to go. I'm still not schilling for Holley but just don't throw them out until you've looked at all the data.

Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

In 1956, my Dad drove our 1951 Commander from NC to CA and back; No Problems whatever.... Along the way, he drove it to the TOP of Pikes Peak in July no less (about 14,000 feet more or less); No Problems whatever. Of course we have to remember, the gasoline used then was somewhat different from the stuff we have available now-a-days. Makes me wonder if the feat could be completed today with this modern gasoline. Sometimes it is not the car, it is the stuff we put in the tank and other fluid areas. Is there any gasoline available anywhere that is comparable to that old stuff? I would like to buy some and try it out in my Studebaker's............

Comment

sweetolbob..
              Nope I am not ruling out anything yet.. The biggest problem with the Holley is the height. I was hoping to use the original "bonnet" etc. We have pretty close clearance to work with..
              is there anyone out there who has done this with an R2?
              Ron

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Ron

Remember you are only talking EZ EFI from FAST. There user programmable systems will do boost, Just not the self programming EZ EFI. But they only claim fuel control not timing control like an OEM or Holley do with the correct distributor.

Looks like a lot of decision making to go. I'm still not schilling for Holley but just don't throw them out until you've looked at all the data.

Bob
              Ron Husak
              Conifer, CO
              63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

8E12T6..
                Sure fuel has a bunch to do with it.. Just look at all the carbureted cars that have Vapor Lock issues anymore.. He made it.. That was quite an achievement.. Overheating.. Faded brakes and cars that will hardly run up there at that altitude.. Says a lot about the car..
                Ron

Originally posted by 8E12T6 View Post
                In 1956, my Dad drove our 1951 Commander from NC to CA and back; No Problems whatever.... Along the way, he drove it to the TOP of Pikes Peak in July no less (about 14,000 feet more or less); No Problems whatever. Of course we have to remember, the gasoline used then was somewhat different from the stuff we have available now-a-days. Makes me wonder if the feat could be completed today with this modern gasoline. Sometimes it is not the car, it is the stuff we put in the tank and other fluid areas. Is there any gasoline available anywhere that is comparable to that old stuff? I would like to buy some and try it out in my Studebaker's............
                Ron Husak
                Conifer, CO
                63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Went to the Howell Engineering website that ronhusak mentioned. Interesting stuff, they have a universal TBI setup that is self learning (stock GM ECM) here:http://www.howellefi.com/customer/tb...ersal-v-8.html But all the technoligy on this is 15-20 years old -- with the technology improvements in the last 10 years, not to mention 20 years, in computer control, is this even worth considering?
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

In 1956, my Dad drove our 1951 Commander from NC to CA and back; No Problems whatever.... Along the way, he drove it to the TOP of Pikes Peak in July no less (about 14,000 feet more or less); No Problems whatever. Of course we have to remember, the gasoline used then was somewhat different from the stuff we have available now-a-days. Makes me wonder if the feat could be completed today with this modern gasoline. Sometimes it is not the car, it is the stuff we put in the tank and other fluid areas. Is there any gasoline available anywhere that is comparable to that old stuff? I would like to buy some and try it out in my Studebaker's.........
                    Like on the other thread, on the other end my own parents had to retune a carbureted Harley every few miles, in the '60's going through the mountains, because it would start runnig badly on the same gas the higher the motorcycle ascended. It is also worth considering that because one guy's carbureted vehicle from one make to make it, cannot be said for the next guy with a different carburetored vehicle to do the same thing.

Comment

r1lark..
                      Well it's lots better than the 100 year old technology our cars now have... ;-)
                      All I can tell you is that this set up worked wonders on my 455 Olds in my GMC motorhome.. And another copany EBL engineering made a "piggy back" board for the ECU that made it self learn. Worked like magic!
                      Ron

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Went to the Howell Engineering website that ronhusak mentioned. Interesting stuff, they have a universal TBI setup that is self learning (stock GM ECM) here:http://www.howellefi.com/customer/tb...ersal-v-8.html But all the technoligy on this is 15-20 years old -- with the technology improvements in the last 10 years, not to mention 20 years, in computer control, is this even worth considering?
                      Ron Husak
                      Conifer, CO
                      63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                        sweetolbob..
                        Nope I am not ruling out anything yet.. The biggest problem with the Holley is the height. I was hoping to use the original "bonnet" etc. We have pretty close clearance to work with..
                        is there anyone out there who has done this with an R2?
                        Ron
                        Ron

Holley claims same installed height as the 4150 carb, but I'll bet that includes the injectors into the air cleaner.

I'd measure my setup but it's 1300 miles away. If you are still interested after March 2, I'll be home and able to measure the heights of the various elements. My low profile Avanti air cleaner is a tad lower than the carb but that's on an SBC and the injectors do set into the air cleaner.

Bob

Comment

Bob..
                          Sure that would be great! Obviously, you are running a naturally aspirated engine.. Mine will be an R2... Not too much room in the Air Bonnet. But would be interested in the dimentions..
                          Ron

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          Ron

Holley claims same installed height as the 4150 carb, but I'll bet that includes the injectors into the air cleaner.

I'd measure my setup but it's 1300 miles away. If you are still interested after March 2, I'll be home and able to measure the heights of the various elements. My low profile Avanti air cleaner is a tad lower than the carb but that's on an SBC and the injectors do set into the air cleaner.

Bob
                          Ron Husak
                          Conifer, CO
                          63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Working...
                          X