Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron,
    I too came from a Studebaker family. I had a great uncle that moved a Studebaker dealership from Galesburg IL during the mid to later 50's to around the Denver CO area. I don't know if they had another car line, but they did go into the Winnebago RV business. I grew up driving a 49 Stude 1 1/2 ton truck, 57 Scotsman Wagon, and a 61 Hawk. My brother had a 60 Lark convertible, 61 Hawk, and a 62 GT Hawk before hitting the other brands. I bought a 64 Avanti for my first car in 1966. Sold the car in 69 and wanted one every since. In Jan. I got a 76 Avanti II from an older gentleman in Naperville, IL. He had the car since 1984, only putting around 10 K miles on it. He had it repainted to a dark metallic red in 1989, which still looks great. I felt my money was well spent getting an Avanti II that had been well cared for and documented with the receipts. Comparing the 64 to 76 is difficult as each was a distinctly different flavor, but the build quality is superior in the Avanti II. Interior is better, fit and finish of the body is superior to the 64. The 64 had a raw in your face attitude with the rakish appearance, mean chugging engine idle and a loud chirping of tires when the auto manually was shifted into 2nd around 40 mph. Being an "old fart" of 62 now, I prefer the Avanti II over the 64. Good luck on your Stude quest!
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

plwindish..
      Are your people the ones who operate the Windish RV place in Denver?
      If so are any of the Studebaker era people still there?
      I am a 66 year old older fart! Maybe I smaell worse.. :-)
      I would prefer a "Studebaker" cause those were the cars I was involved in.. I personally sold 4 of them.. I was totally anamored with the cars.. The GT hawk was a close second.. We became Dodge dealers and I would also like to have a 68 or 69 Charger RT but flat can't afford one anymore.. Tese Avantis are rarer and more "exotic" and are lots more affordable..
      An Avanti II is a beautiful well finished car.. They are even more affordable.. But I am going with my heart unless I just can't find the right one at the right price.. We became Dodge dealers in the fall of 63 after we left Studebaker when they moved to Canada.. I would love to have a 68 or 69 Charger RT.. But Damned I simply can't afford one anymore..
      I have had lots of medical issues over the past 10 years.. I came home with a present from my time in Viet Nam... Agent Orange.. It was tearing my endocrin system up.. About 18 months ago I turned my life around with the help of a Holistic doctor.. So I am trying to have a bit of Nostalgic fun while I can with a car that I have always loved!
      Just where I am coming from.. Either are great cars.. I just have my reasons..
      Ron Husak
      An Old Fart!

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
      Ron,
      I too came from a Studebaker family. I had a great uncle that moved a Studebaker dealership from Galesburg IL during the mid to later 50's to around the Denver CO area. I don't know if they had another car line, but they did go into the Winnebago RV business. I grew up driving a 49 Stude 1 1/2 ton truck, 57 Scotsman Wagon, and a 61 Hawk. My brother had a 60 Lark convertible, 61 Hawk, and a 62 GT Hawk before hitting the other brands. I bought a 64 Avanti for my first car in 1966. Sold the car in 69 and wanted one every since. In Jan. I got a 76 Avanti II from an older gentleman in Naperville, IL. He had the car since 1984, only putting around 10 K miles on it. He had it repainted to a dark metallic red in 1989, which still looks great. I felt my money was well spent getting an Avanti II that had been well cared for and documented with the receipts. Comparing the 64 to 76 is difficult as each was a distinctly different flavor, but the build quality is superior in the Avanti II. Interior is better, fit and finish of the body is superior to the 64. The 64 had a raw in your face attitude with the rakish appearance, mean chugging engine idle and a loud chirping of tires when the auto manually was shifted into 2nd around 40 mph. Being an "old fart" of 62 now, I prefer the Avanti II over the 64. Good luck on your Stude quest!
      Ron Husak
      Conifer, CO
      Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
      63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Good to hear from you Ron. Dodge must have taken in a lot of Studebaker dealerships. Associated Motors in Canton IL is where my parents did business and also where I bought the 64 Avanti. Jack Hardy was the Salesman. Associated Motors started selling Dodge around the mid-60's. I remember seeing a Charger there when they were first released. Bettenhausen Motors in Tinley Park, IL (3 blocks from my house) also went from Studebaker to Dodge. The 3rd generation is now running the business. They survived the Dodge/Chrysler dealer cut down several years ago and now have a separate Chrysler/ Jeep dealership in a neighboring town and a third dealership - Fiat also in the works.
        Yes, the Windish dealership was started by one of my Grandfather's brothers. The second generation took on the Winnebagos and became the RV dealership, which experienced some real lean years with the different gas pump crisis's that we have had. If you are into old Chargers, watch the Cut, Chop and Rebuild on the Speed Channel. The past episodes have been about a 69 Charger X car that fished out of a swamp and had almost the entire body replaced with new stock.
        Sorry to hear about the Agent Orange carry over from Nam. I was guest,(drafted) of the Army, 25 August 70 through 28 Feb 72. I ended up being a medic in the St. Louis AAFEES helping give physicals for guys going in the services. Served 18 months and never left the states, and I am glad of that. I can't count the number of vets I've seen that were messed up from their tours over there. God speed with your successfully dealing with your health issues.
        Get the affordable classic - Avanti. Fiberglass bodies don't rust away and that distinctive shape always gets looks.

Paul Windish
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Paul..
          Thanks for the reply..
          I suppose that some of the ex Studebaker dealers went mopar.. Some of the others I knew went in lots of different ways.. Two in Detroit I knew well one ended up staying with Mercedes and one ended up being a BMW store and another went with Ford.. Just depended on the opportunities..
          Saw some of the "Chop, Cut, Rebuild" show you talked about That frustrates someone like me though.. The cubic money spent on parts and the unlimited shop and tools sometimes makes me want to "Kick" my stuff...;-) But it is interesting to see what is available and what can be done..
          So you were one of the "bend over and spread your cheeks" guys.. Someone had to do it huh? Actually any veteran should be thanked for their service.. And, I thank you.. You didn't miss too much in Viet Nam.. I was a Navy Sea Bee and didn't have it nearly as bad as some..
          You are right.. The bodies of the Avanti's don't rust.. But lots of other stuff does.. Can be most deceiving.. But am really looking forward to my search.
          Ron

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
          Good to hear from you Ron. Dodge must have taken in a lot of Studebaker dealerships. Associated Motors in Canton IL is where my parents did business and also where I bought the 64 Avanti. Jack Hardy was the Salesman. Associated Motors started selling Dodge around the mid-60's. I remember seeing a Charger there when they were first released. Bettenhausen Motors in Tinley Park, IL (3 blocks from my house) also went from Studebaker to Dodge. The 3rd generation is now running the business. They survived the Dodge/Chrysler dealer cut down several years ago and now have a separate Chrysler/ Jeep dealership in a neighboring town and a third dealership - Fiat also in the works.
          Yes, the Windish dealership was started by one of my Grandfather's brothers. The second generation took on the Winnebagos and became the RV dealership, which experienced some real lean years with the different gas pump crisis's that we have had. If you are into old Chargers, watch the Cut, Chop and Rebuild on the Speed Channel. The past episodes have been about a 69 Charger X car that fished out of a swamp and had almost the entire body replaced with new stock.
          Sorry to hear about the Agent Orange carry over from Nam. I was guest,(drafted) of the Army, 25 August 70 through 28 Feb 72. I ended up being a medic in the St. Louis AAFEES helping give physicals for guys going in the services. Served 18 months and never left the states, and I am glad of that. I can't count the number of vets I've seen that were messed up from their tours over there. God speed with your successfully dealing with your health issues.
          Get the affordable classic - Avanti. Fiberglass bodies don't rust away and that distinctive shape always gets looks.

Paul Windish
          Ron Husak
          Conifer, CO
          Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
          63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Working...
          X