Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti's

Hi All..
    I am one of the new guy's on the list I am the son of a Studebaker Dealer and am interested in acquiring an Avanti..
    I am unsure which years to go after.. An original 63 0r 64 could be nice but can be quite rare and quite expensive.. I have communicated with the young man who has the 63 his dad left him and would be interested in it as a project but he is being a bit unrealistic as to it's value given it is a total unknown..
    For that reason I am also looking at Avanti II's. Also had some interaction with the folks who built these cars in South Bend as they were friends of my Dad's and we did some business with them..
    My questions are.. I am looking at a 1980 and a 1984.. are there any substantial differences in them besides the obvious cosmetic ones.. Is there anything more to look our for on the II's than on the originals.. IE: Hog Troughs etc.? Any insight would be appreciated..
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, Colorado
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, CO
    Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
    63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Don't discount the original Studebakers...they're less expensive than you probably think.
    I can't think of a similar car (personal luxury or "pony/muscle" car) that goes for less money...aside from AMC Javelins and AMX's.
    If you can afford a new Accord, you can afford a very nice Avanti.

A 1980 Avant II was built after Nate Altman passed away, many people think that the quality went down after that event.
    An 84 Avanti (no "II") was during the Blake ownership years and had pretty good build quality (aside from the paint issues that eventully bankrupted the firm) and had more modern appointments like Recaro seats...and as you know, the plastic bumpers.
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Ron welcome to the forum, are you looking for a project or get in and drive anywhere car or a show car, I do have a 87 that needs work but will send you some more info if that might be what you are looking for , the price is right...Bob
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I had a 1977 Avanti II and a 1982 Avanti II. The quality was inferior to the 1963 Avanti of which I have owned three. The paint was horrible on the 1977 and the 1982 Avanti II's, the sun roofs leak something horrible and the leather does not hold up well especially when the moisture from the leaking sun roof gets to it. I am sure there are nice Avant II's from this era that have always been garage kept but these are things to look out for on less maintained examples.

Comment

Ron,
          I add my welcome!

I suspect members here tire of my postings about the KRC Avanti Raffle but, there's always the possibility you could procure a pristine '82 for a mere ten dollars. Less than five weeks before it's awarded.
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?47554-KRC-Avanti-raffle-online-orders-up-and-running!-Finally&highlight=Avanti
          Last edited by rockne10; 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

rockne10
            Well you talked me into it! I just ordered some tickets.. Man wouldn't that be nice to win one!
            Going for a good cause anyways..
            Thanks
            Ron Husak
            Conifer, Colorado
            Ron Husak
            Conifer, CO
            63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
              Don't discount the original Studebakers...they're less expensive than you probably think.
              I can't think of a similar car (personal luxury or "pony/muscle" car) that goes for less money...aside from AMC Javelins and AMX's.
              If you can afford a new Accord, you can afford a very nice Avanti.

A 1980 Avant II was built after Nate Altman passed away, many people think that the quality went down after that event.
              An 84 Avanti (no "II") was during the Blake ownership years and had pretty good build quality (aside from the paint issues that eventully bankrupted the firm) and had more modern appointments like Recaro seats...and as you know, the plastic bumpers.
              JBoyle..
              Love the Bassett Avatar.. We have had 3 Bassett's.. Love the breed... Elliott who is our present master is just wonderful.. He would love riding in an Avanti!
              Actually I knew Nate Altman.. Actually my dad who was the dealer knew the family pretty well.. I just went along for the ride several times.. and we bought parts from him after Studebaker left town..
              I could probably afford a new Accord.. My wife had one once.. But don't really wantto spend that much.. (cheap I guess) but would like a car that I could use as a project.. Just not too much of one.. They are around I am talking to a couple of people out there now.. Including the fellow who has his dad's car that hasn't run in 20 years.. But we will see...
              I actually prefer the chrome bumper cars.. But that wouldn't probably be a deal breaker for me.. The car is more important.. There are some Avanti II's that appear to be really great deals.. I would honestly prefer a Studebaker but they are that much older and mostly you find really nice one$ or really rough ones..
              The 63 I origionally owned was that way.. I sold the car when it was new.. Then bought it back very rough from him in 69.. Did work to it.. But it was never going to be the car I wanted.. So I sold it in the mid 90's..
              I am old ebnough and hve the time to devote to one.. really don't want to do too much body work.. and Paint is so bloody expensive anymore.. Well you know..
              So I am looking.. Maybe a nice Hawk is in the cards instead.. All depends what I take a shine to..
              Ron Husak
              Conifer, Colorado
              Ron Husak
              Conifer, CO
              63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                I had a 1977 Avanti II and a 1982 Avanti II. The quality was inferior to the 1963 Avanti of which I have owned three. The paint was horrible on the 1977 and the 1982 Avanti II's, the sun roofs leak something horrible and the leather does not hold up well especially when the moisture from the leaking sun roof gets to it. I am sure there are nice Avant II's from this era that have always been garage kept but these are things to look out for on less maintained examples.
                StudeMichael..
                You are right.. There are things to look out for..
                I know about the sun roof leaks. That can usually be fixed by rebonding the sunroof basket to the roof.. Provided the basket isn't rusted away..
                But, Thanks for the advice..
                Ron Husak
                Ron Husak
                Conifer, CO
                63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Ron welcome to the forum, are you looking for a project or get in and drive anywhere car or a show car, I do have a 87 that needs work but will send you some more info if that might be what you are looking for , the price is right...Bob
                  Bob..
                  Thanks for the reply..
                  Sure I will look at anything.. Is yours the one that you call your "Beater Avanti"?
                  You can send the info to rhusak@compuserve.com
                  Ron
                  Ron Husak
                  Conifer, CO
                  63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Ron, Welcome!

I'm a newcomer to Avantis, I wish I could have met some of the important figures in Avanti history...you met Altman...Neat!
                    Hope you find the car you want....I wouldn't mind a nice II or Blake car myself.

Douglas sends his best basset regards to Elliot!
                    He's never ridden in the Avanti...well have to do a test to see how (and if) basset hair comes off the new carpet before he gets riding privledges..
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                      Ron, Welcome!

I'm a newcomer to Avantis, I wish I could have met some of the important figures in Avanti history...you met Altman...Neat!
                      Hope you find the car you want....I wouldn't mind a nice II or Blake car myself.

Douglas sends his best basset regards to Elliot!
                      He's never ridden in the Avanti...well have to do a test to see how (and if) basset hair comes off the new carpet before he gets riding privledges..
                      JBoyle..
                      Elliott says hi as well.. Elliott is white and tan.. mostly white.. His hair gets everywhere.. but we love him anyways.. He just came to see me before he went to bed!
                      Actually.. I got to meet a lot of the movers and shakers in the early 60's.. I worked the detroit auto show in 62 when the Avanti was introduced.. In fact I won the "salesmans" award from the Detroit Zone (clock radio big deal) but actually met Mr. Egbert and Mr. Loewy at a reception at the show as well.. Also met the previous Prsident at Studebaker as well.. My folks were the largest volume Dealers in Michigan so were somewhat "Wheels"..
                      Ron
                      Ron Husak
                      Conifer, CO
                      63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                        Bob..
                        Thanks for the reply..
                        Sure I will look at anything.. Is yours the one that you call your "Beater Avanti"?
                        You can send the info to rhusak@compuserve.com
                        Ron
                        Not Bob, but his Avanti is not the one that you were referred to that is/was owned by another Forum member (Ernie). They are on opposite coasts, but don't let distance deter you.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

stdegary..
                          I have actually bought lots of cars and a couple of motor homes long distance.. That is part of the advantur.. My wife had said if it isn't at leat 500 miles away you don't want it!
                          Ron
                          Ron Husak
                          Conifer, CO
                          63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

I have a 74 Avanti II that recently purchased from the original owner. I am considering selling it because I may be purchasing some real estate. It is a rust free Southern CA car which needs cosmetics; paint, interior and chrome. Nice virtually crack free body. It was not used for 20 years as the owner needed a mini van to cart her kids around. But she kept the Avanti thinking she would drive it again. I revived the car and got it going, went through the brakes, fuel system, full tune-up, radiator rodded out, etc. Car is in San Diego. I've owned 3 Avanti IIs and one 63 Avanti. My experience is the IIs have been well built and are better for daily drivers. The Studebaker Avanti and the Avanti IIs are so similar but also very different. I like them both, but I have a slight bias toward the early IIs, 1974 and older which have no catalytic converter true dual exhaust and quicker ratio steering box.

Comment

Paul..
                              Thanks for the reply..
                              I am actually going to look at a 63 R2 next week. I know what you mean about the II's being better daily drivers.. But, I am an "Old" Studebaker guy.. My dad was a dealer remember.. I found one I may actually be able to afford to buy.. So I will look at it before I decied what else I may look into..
                              But, I may well consider one like yours if this doesn't work out..
                              Ron
                              Conifer, Colorado
                              Ron Husak
                              Conifer, CO
                              63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Working...
                              X