No announcement yet.

Another Chapter gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like someone started the page on FB but never finished it. There is no content.

Facebook is cool but I don't get sucked in to stupid apps.

Comment

I don't do Facebook or Twitter. When I get requests to friend someone on Facebook, I just ignore them, even my nephew.
      Yesterday, I received an e-mail from BMW for a chance to win a new BMW. You had to go to their Facebook page in order to enter. I just deleted the e-mail.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The whole friending thing has always sounded like junior high to me. Who needs that again? It was painful enough once and I didn't even know how good I actually had it! If it gathers new members from a younger, interested generation for our SDC chapters, that's great. I just think a regular chapter site can be set up to have google find it and that should be good enough. I don't need my personal info sold and possibly misused by others in the process of a Stude site regardless of how carefully the settings are set up.

Some people really let these social media sites overtake their lives. Some use them like a reality show for needed attention they aren't getting in real life. It is a prime ground for an addictive, obsessive personality, too, sadly. The recent stories of mothers on Facebook playing games and shaking a crying child to death so that they could continue with Farmville and another so engrossed that her child drowned in a bathtub are but two examples. You can find those idiotic behaviors anywhere, but Facebook is really just a tool to most, so I wish interested chapters the best of luck...well, until they come out with Studeville: Work may never get done in the garage. <G>

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          My page has zero info on it.
          that's the ticket Bob. It doesn't say you have to put your life story on there. Minimum personal info on a place that anyone can search is always a good idea in my book. The people that really know you already know that stuff.
          And I have "liked" quite a few business pages just to get coupons, samples, or deals from them, too. It's free advertising for them, so they are using it more and more. Just got a free meal from Leann Chin not too long ago. Got some good stocking stuffers from Home Depot for around 75% off that were facebook exclusives.

I laugh when I see people comment about once a hour complaining of a cold or headache, or whatever is on their mind. Do we really care that much. Umm... No. We don't need to follow your life on a daily or hourly basis. But I do see some value in it, I have had contact with friends that I haven't talked to in a long time, and it's nice to see their kids, etc.
          I saw a news article that debt collectors are using facebook to catch people frauding them (ie can't pay credit card bill, but just posted a picture of you with your new car/boat/4-wheeler, etc.) Too funny.

And I don't understand Twitter at all, but never bothered to research it either.

Eric
          Last edited by gohdes; 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            >>>I'll continue to visit this Forum and other similar sites, use e-mail and the like, but I have no interest in provding my personal (and boring to most) information to some website for a bunch of people I don't know to read and potentially use against my personal interests. <<<

No doubt putting your "personal information" out there where ...who-knows-who can do ...who-knows-what with it is definitely a concern.

BUT ...consider the personal info you & I have already provided on here:

Even this SDC Forum requires us to provide our REAL FIRST and LAST NAME although a quick & random check of participating member profiles revealed approximately 1 in 5 chose NOT to do so including people who have posted thousands of times and even the President of the SDC!!!

(the below is from our SDC Forum rules)

GENERAL FORUM PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT
            Following are the general forum participation policies, including, but not limited to, those all registered forum members had already agreed to when they first registered for the SDC forums.

In order to use these forums, users are required to provide:

1. User name and password (Do not use inappropriate user names!)
            2. Valid e-mail address
            3. Real first and last name (NOTE: members from the old forum need to update their profiles to include this if not done already) <<<
            Last edited by Welcome; 02-03-2011, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Facebook is what you do with it, just don't dump a bunch of personal info out there to people you don't know. I've been on Facebook for about two years now, because my daughter told me "if you want to know what's going on dad, you need to get Facebook." So I did. She was surprised.

I've talked to several Studebaker friends on there (hey to Chris Driesbach), and I've found a LOT of family that I hadn't talked to in years, all over the world. It's not a bad thing and it's all how you use the technology. I don't friend every person that tries to "friend" me. I've gotta know you, pretty well.

Comment

To be honest, I was involved in putting the michiana chapter on Facebook. We do currently have a regular website, but the Facebook idea was mostly to go where people are most likely to find us. I have a facebook page. I use it to keep in contact with friends. Granted I'm not on there all the time, others are. For some reason some people like to surf facebook like they do the regular internet. The Michiana chapter is also not the only Studebaker chapter or Studebaker releated page on Facebook. I think there are about 6 others currently. It's easy advertising, that's all. Here's a link to the regular website: http://www.michiana-chapter-sdc.net/
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

You like this.

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                  To be honest, I was involved in putting the michiana chapter on Facebook. We do currently have a regular website, but the Facebook idea was mostly to go where people are most likely to find us. I have a facebook page. I use it to keep in contact with friends. Granted I'm not on there all the time, others are. For some reason some people like to surf facebook like they do the regular internet. The Michiana chapter is also not the only Studebaker chapter or Studebaker releated page on Facebook. I think there are about 6 others currently. It's easy advertising, that's all. Here's a link to the regular website: http://www.michiana-chapter-sdc.net/

Comment

Working...
                  X