Maple leaf glovebox emblem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple leaf glovebox emblem?

Never seen one of these before (or have but didn't notice). What's it go to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STUDE...item27b857be56
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just one O them there Canuck Cars, no big deal!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Never seen one of these before (or have but didn't notice). What's it go to?
      The seller's description is correct for the years, but only on all 1953's to '55's and Hawks to 1958 was it on the glove compartment door. 1956 to '58 sedans and wagons had it on the corner of the radio speaker grille.

Craig

Comment

So, I gotta know. Did the Australians use a special emblem too? If not, it should have been a kangaroo, or a kookooburra (sp)

The Israelis? The company in Belgium? Or was Canada the only place that had a country-specific emblem. I have a 57 Champion with this emblem.

Another question, besides Canada, US, Belgium, Israel, Australia (and New Zealand?) where else were Studebakers 'put together'. I suppose they were primarily from complete knockdown kits rather than assembly lines.

Comment

Well, it's pretty cool all the same. If I put one on my car would Canadians get mad at me?
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
            So, I gotta know. Did the Australians use a special emblem too? If not, it should have been a kangaroo, or a kookooburra (sp)
            The Israelis? The company in Belgium? Or was Canada the only place that had a country-specific emblem. I have a 57 Champion with this emblem.
            Another question, besides Canada, US, Belgium, Israel, Australia (and New Zealand?) where else were Studebakers 'put together'. I suppose they were primarily from complete knockdown kits rather than assembly lines.
            You do have to remember that Studebaker of Canada was a wholly OWNED Subsidiary of the Studebaker Corp. I do not believe any of the other "Assembly" Plants were, except the Los Angeles Plant, and NO, they did not get a Palm Tree ornament! Lol!

There were also some in South America, I think Argentina & Columbia?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The one on ebay has a coupe pins broken off it on the back.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Plus South Africa.

Frank Drumheller
                Locust Grove, VA
                60S-W6
                1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Mexico, South Africa also.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yep. There is some question, too, around the location where "the last Studebaker" was assembled; SNM's '66 Cruiser is acknowledged as the last off the (Hamilton) factory line, but some cars shipped as kits were completed and put on the road months later in other locations...to complicate matters, some if not all of those cars were 1965s.

I hadn't heard before about this maple-leaf emblem. Studebaker was promoted here in Canada as "Canada's Own Car" after Hamilton became the main assembly plant, but these emblems date earlier. Neat. Wouldn't mind having one...maybe tack it to the dash on my Lark!

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                      Yep. There is some question, too, around the location where "the last Studebaker" was assembled; SNM's '66 Cruiser is acknowledged as the last off the (Hamilton) factory line, but some cars shipped as kits were completed and put on the road months later in other locations...to complicate matters, some if not all of those cars were 1965s.

I hadn't heard before about this maple-leaf emblem. Studebaker was promoted here in Canada as "Canada's Own Car" after Hamilton became the main assembly plant, but these emblems date earlier. Neat. Wouldn't mind having one...maybe tack it to the dash on my Lark!

S.
                      Yeah, shame about that emblem, but timing is everything. I >think< the Antipodeans had it sorted that although Hamilton had the honours for the last factory car, Australians were sure that they had the last car assembled--until a pesky Kiwi mentioned a still later car assembled in New Zealand. 1967? Where were the Mexico operations? Is there much history available on the other locations other than Australia/New Zealand and Belgium which do have information appearing at times, even here on the Forum?

Comment

My 57 silver hawk had one ,I removed it and put in the horn button of my 65 Daytona, now both cars are gone but the horn button is still with me a very nice pin.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

In answer to Jim PEI's question, the overseas cars came in CKD (Completely knocked Down) kits, possibly different for each market.
                          My 1962 Lark came with basically body/instrument panel/steering wheel, engine/gearbox/ windlace/ chrome vent wings/ amber turning indicators/ 3.31 axle. Too long to type it all but you get the idea. it was suggested that our upholstery was done by a fellow who did work for Chrysler Australia, perhaps Jim Quigley may know, unfortunately I have little information on Aussie assembly.

Maybe Jim Quigley will do a book one day???
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

As I understand it, Canada has manufacturing laws in place so that things manufactured there have a certain 'Canadian built' content. The cars built there usually had parts from a Canadian factory, or vendor.

The Parts I am pretty sure to be Canadian SPECIFIC through the years:

The maple leaf dash emblems

Early voltage regulators and some generators (1940s-53?)I have seen are Delco of Canada, Autolite parts as well.

A mix of interior fabrics were probably Canadian, some were from SB.

Hub caps and wheel covers, stamped there, and most hub caps and wheel covers on later cars were chromed, not stainless. (59-66 hub caps) (65-66 wheel covers)

Late dash pads came from a different mold, and much better material.

Late carpets and underpadding.

There are many other items I am sure people who have seen the parts, and the cars from Canada could add to the list.....Or maybe someone could explain the 'content law' better than I can since I am not from there?

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                              As I understand it, Canada has manufacturing laws in place so that things manufactured there have a certain 'Canadian built' content. The cars built there usually had parts from a Canadian factory, or vendor.

The Parts I am pretty sure to be Canadian SPECIFIC through the years:

The maple leaf dash emblems

Early voltage regulators and some generators (1940s-53?)I have seen are Delco of Canada, Autolite parts as well.

A mix of interior fabrics were probably Canadian, some were from SB.

Hub caps and wheel covers, stamped there, and most hub caps and wheel covers on later cars were chromed, not stainless. (59-66 hub caps) (65-66 wheel covers)

Late dash pads came from a different mold, and much better material.

Late carpets and underpadding.

There are many other items I am sure people who have seen the parts, and the cars from Canada could add to the list.....Or maybe someone could explain the 'content law' better than I can since I am not from there?
                              How about white steering wheels?
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X