Small world time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small world time...

I got a card in the mail today from a woman named Mary Anne Hanson of Leawood, KS. She must have gotten my name from the Hemmings article, I don't know. But she asked me if I had any "Studebaker News" magazines because at age 20 she bought a new Avanti from Wavra Motors in Grand Forks, ND and her photo was used in a "Studebaker News" magazine. She'd like to show it to her grandkids, although she has no idea what ever happened to the Avanti.

I thought it sounded familiar. I only own three "Studebaker News" magazines...but by gosh, her photo is in one of my three....May 1963, with this information below the photo:

"North Dakota premiere finds the first delivery of an Avanti in that state to a lady. The recipient here, Mary Anne McElroy, a student at the University of North Dakota, is shown taking delivery from George Wavra, Wavra Motors, Studebaker dealership in Grand Forks, North Dakota".

I'm going to send her the magazine gratis.

If I were out at the SNM archives, I'd look for her serial number in the production orders. Probably wouldn't take all that long...she said the car was gold and one could just look for the first car to go to North Dakota (although I realize 'first delivery' doesn't necessarily mean first car to get shipped to that state). The serial no. could be confirmed to the Retail Sale Card (Univac-style card) at the SNM.

I sure wonder if the car survives. I'm going to ask her when I send the magazine, if she knows the serial no. but in all actuality I'd say that's a slim chance.

More people have a warm connection with Studebaker than we ever know!

Besides being a college girl with a new Avanti, her return address shows "Dr. and Mrs...." so she apparently has done OK!
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 01-28-2011, 10:06 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    More people have a warm connection with Studebaker than we ever know!

Besides being a college girl with a new Avanti, her return address shows "Dr. and Mrs...." so she apparently has done OK!
    Unless it was Dr. Strangelove...<G> Bill, I'm not just saying this because we are good friends and you gave me a gift card to Dunkin' Donuts <G mmm>... but that thoughtful gesture is why I am proud to be part of the SDC. That's the kind of thing that makes an impact on people's lives outside of the Club and you have done that with the Hemmings article and now with the unlikelihood of having the very issue of her Avanti story. Good show.

Comment

Wow, neat story...it would be great to give her "the rest of the story".
      With the high survival rate of Avantis, there's a good chance it's still around.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hmm, there are at least three gold '63 Avantis in the Hamilton chapter...how cool would it be if it turned out to be one of them...Keep us posted on how this story develops!

S.

Comment

Bill, I sent you a PM. Jeff

Comment

Dave, thanks for the kind words. I love stories like this, can't help it!

I've drafted a response to the lady, asking about more detailed information on the car and the serial no. if at all possible. I'll keep the forum updated with any responses.

Thanks.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Cool beans all around, Bill. It will be interesting to see where this goes, if her car is still around, etc. Be sure to ask her if she got your name from the Hemmings article or ???

'Will be checking this topic as new posts are made. (Watch that Univac-type talk to us non-computer, non-accountant types. You could lose us! <GGG>) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                Mary Anne Hanson of Leawood, KS. Besides being a college girl with a new Avanti, her return address shows "Dr. and Mrs...." so she apparently has done OK!

Yes, that part of town is very nice.........aside from that just the mere fact that she reached out to you shows she still has fond enough memories of the Avanti to take the time to write and inquire about the car.

Very cool indeed.

It would be very nice if a reunion of sorts (photo op) could be made with her and the car. Bill pass along to her the many events that happen in the area.........she might just twist the husbands arm hard enough to visit a Meet.
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Neat story, do you have a scanner so you can share the picture with us?
                  Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

Originally posted by cycledog View Post
                    Neat story, do you have a scanner so you can share the picture with us?
                    No, I sure don't, plus I already mailed her the magazine. She seemed tall (well, at least as tall as the owner of the Studebaker dealership!) and very slim. The Avanti was seen from the front, square-on. It was a black-and-white photo and it was small.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Is this the picture of the girl???
                      sigpic
                      Jim

Comment

Great story, Bill! Hope the car is found, what a cool story for TW!

BTW, you have a PM...
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by jims53 View Post
                          Is this the picture of the girl???
                          That's her!
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Great story, Bill! I know how much you enjoy the historical aspects of the hobby. This has to be great fun for you.

Please keep us posted. This one sounds like it could develop into a bigger story. Imagine if she were to buy her old Studebaker back again. Maybe that's just too far-fetched.
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

"Pics or it didn't happen"? Well, it happened.

I knew she'd be real purty. I just knew it.
                              Bet she's still real purty.
                              It's...an Avanti thing.
                              (Or, on odd-numbered days, a Nort'Dakota t'ing.)

Comment

Working...
                              X