No announcement yet.

Small world time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 20 year old buying a $5000 + - car in 1963, she must have been well-off.
    In 1963 my father was an Air Force major on flying pay (albeit with 4 kids), and he could only afford a $3200 Rambler V-8.

This is a geat story for TW...hope someone comes up with a VIN.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      A 20 year old buying a $5000 + - car in 1963, she must have been well-off.
      That got me to thinking what would be the price in 2010 dollars adjusted for inflation ....

Using the calculator at this website: http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/

Here's the result ....

sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Interestingly my friend Richard Pianca (Davenport, IA) owns Avanti Serial 63R 3621 that was sold new from Wavra Motors. However his car is turquoise and always has been. Many small town dealers never sold any Avantis esp in the hinterlands. However we know Wavra sold at least two.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          Interestingly my friend Richard Pianca (Davenport, IA) owns Avanti Serial 63R 3621 that was sold new from Wavra Motors. However his car is turquoise and always has been. Many small town dealers never sold any Avantis esp in the hinterlands. However we know Wavra sold at least two.
          Thanks Richard. I think the chance is high that Mary Anne's is a lower serial no. than that.

As you might imagine, Carl E. Filer Co. (signature photo) never sold a single Avanti, although had a turquoise one in for a "Special Salon Showing". Carl Jr. told me he had no serious "bites" on it, but a lot of folks who just wanted to "hot dog" drive an Avanti. They did sell a black '64 R2 Cruiser with the "Super" package to an employee.

I wonder what size town Grand Forks is. I'll have to google it.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Grand Forks' population is 55,000.

Heck, that's a big city to me!

Their website mentions a lot of things that make it sound like it's a good place to live...really.

http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/h...ts-at-a-Glance
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
              Great story, Bill! I know how much you enjoy the historical aspects of the hobby. This has to be great fun for you.

Please keep us posted. This one sounds like it could develop into a bigger story. Imagine if she were to buy her old Studebaker back again. Maybe that's just too far-fetched.
              Yeah, who would ever buy their old car back?!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Very interesting story Bill, would be interesting to learn more background of this lady and why she decided to buy an Avanti. Perhaps her family always drove Studebakers? Perhaps they had family or friend connections with the dealership? Maybe she had a fascination with fiberglass and didnt like those two-seater cars from Detroit?
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think that most Studebaker dealers, especially small town operations, did not know how to sell a car like an Avanti. Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls got one 1963 Avanti in stock. Just recently, I was talking with a friend. Since I had an Avanti sweatshirt on, Avantis came up in conversation. He related how he was interested in a 1963 Avanti. He went to Knight's Garage and wanted to drive theirs. He arrived in his Corvette (1960, IIRC) and had a good job at the Texaco Research Lab. Knights wouldn't let him drive the Avanti. They did take him for a ride with him in the back seat and another potential customer in the front seat. I think that he purchased another Corvette. He still has numerous Chevrolets. Knights had that Avanti in stock for a long time - more than a year. I lost track of what happened to it. It probably went to another dealer on a swap (for a Lark type).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good morning, Gentlemen! So much to share with you - the turquoise Avanti was in the UND homecoming parade in the fall of 1963 - with George Wavra driving, The "tall slim purty girl" in the photo with the Avanti Gold one is a well-rounded, gray-haired grandmother who would LOVE to find her old Avanti. I fell in love with its design lines the summer of 1962 when a small ad appeared in the New Yorker magazine. Showed it to my father and told him that was the car I wanted, and nothing else would do. Being a wise man, he said something along the lines of "yup" and went back to smoking his pipe. He was friends with Mr. Wavra, and Grand Forks was was sort of town where we all knew each other. Population then was probably around 30,000, including the University. I worked that summer, saved everything I could, and Dad matched it. More later - time to watch the blizzard and the hawk looking for food!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Mary Anne. Glad to have you here.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

"The serial no. could be confirmed to the Retail Sale Card (Univac-style card) at the SNM."
                        I didn't know you could get that info from thr SNM. I've been trying to track down my Dad's Avanti. George Krem came up with a serial # that probably was his car, can the museum verify that?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                          "The serial no. could be confirmed to the Retail Sale Card (Univac-style card) at the SNM."
                          I didn't know you could get that info from the SNM. I've been trying to track down my Dad's Avanti. George Krem came up with a serial # that probably was his car, can the museum verify that?
                          Yes, for a price. Depends on the time it takes when you are doing a tougher search with less info like Mary Anne, above.

I sure hope that Avanti that the nice widow from Sandusky, Ohio had been selling last year isn't the one Mary Anne is looking for; same color combo. It finally sold after she dealt with more than a few squirrels from her Hemmings ad for over a year. I can find out the serial number, though.

Comment

In the 60s, Grand Forks was home to a good sized air force base, with ADC (air defense) fighters and SAC bombers and tankers.
                            That meant a good-sized number of young, (reasonably) well paid pilots and others who were firmly in Avanti (and Corvette) demographics.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                              I didn't know you could get that info from thr SNM. I've been trying to track down my Dad's Avanti. George Krem came up with a serial # that probably was his car, can the museum verify that?
                              Fred, if you have a serial no. to send an email or letter to the SNM archives, they should be able to pull a retail sales card up, although for '63 the files don't seem as complete as other years. It's a punch card with printed name and address of the first purchaser. For cars delivered Sept. '63 and later, there is also a card that was filled out at the dealer in longhand, showing the name of original purchaser, address, occupation, and what they traded in. To get this, they'd need to look at the shipping certificate to get the dealer code no., as that is how these cards are filed at the SNM--dealer code no., then month.

You could contact the archivist and see if there is a retail sale card (Univac-style) for that serial no. and if so, if your Dad's name is on it. If so, you could ask for a copy. I think they would most likely charge you $25 plus a quarter for a copy of the form. I believe that's their minimum charge.

Not sure if they'd charge you if it wasn't your Dad's car or not.

Of course, even if it isn't your Dad's car, you might consider a tax-deductible donation to the Studebaker National Museum for their time--they are my favorite charity.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Glad to see you here Mary Anne! Got your email yesterday. I'll respond this evening, as I'm (ahem) supposed to be working at home today!
                                Last edited by Bill Pressler; 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM. Reason: to fix dumb spelling mistake
                                Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH
                                All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                                X