Knockout of a Packard FS in Hemmings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout of a Packard FS in Hemmings

If that B-J GH did $100K, wonder what this beauty would do?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml&refer=news
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Are those little fog lamps under the front bumper? I'll admit that I've never really looked at a Packard Hawk real close, so not sure if those are 'original' or not.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

No, they are not original, but then neither is the wire wheels, the silver mylar fins(they should be gold), the black spare tire overlay(should be body colored),chrome headlight rims(should be body colored). But all can be put back with little effort.
      Putting the correct supercharger set-up with the correct brackets would cost a bit too. (instead of R2 set-up)
      Last edited by bezhawk; 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is a nice car; I saw it in person at the Warren OH Packard Centennial in 1999.

Some of the dealer's/seller's claims are over the top, though, such as it being the fastest Packard ever built. One 1956 Packard Clipper Super 2-door hardtop was special-ordered with the 374" dual-quad Caribbean engine, stick overdrive, and, IIRC, a 2.87:1 rear axle. The car survives in excellent condition, but has been given an axle ratio in the 3s for better acceleration.

I dare say, with all due respects, that the dual-quad 374 Caribbean in a lighter Clipper hardtop with overdrive and a 2.87:1 axle would outrun any Packard Hawk. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob Palma

I beleive this is the '56 Clipper of which you speak. It was in a show in Northern VA last year. This is the Packard that held all kinds of NHRA records back in the day. Note the exhaust cutouts.
          Attached Files

Comment

Actually, Frank; that is not the one of which I wrote.

You're right; the black one in your photograph was a drag-racing terror in the northwest, and was even the subject of an article in Hot Rod magazine, entitled something like, "Beware this Clipper!" Too, the one in your photo is the more expensive Clipper Custom, because it has rocker panel moldings. I believe it was drag-raced in stock classes, so it would have retained its 352 / 4-barrel engine, unique to Customs.

The 374 Clipper is a two-tone white and aqua color and is the lower-trim-level Clipper Super, without rocker panel moldings. If you have a copy of the May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car, look at our 1956 Clipper Super on Page 77. It is a Super, so it does not have the rocker panel moldings of your subject car.

The 374" Super hardtop has colors similar to ours, but they are reversed (Dover White where ours is Shannon Green, and visa-versa). BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
              Here's a pic of the engine in the '56 Clipper that I saw. As you can see it's now a dual four barrel. As I recall from talking with the current owner, Paul Delaney, this car has had three engines over the years--the original 352, the 374 with which it is now fitted, and a 420 (!!). I've also enclosed a pic of his display "Beware this Clipper" but it may not be readable. It details the car's exploits on the dragstrip per Hot Rod.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, Frank. Thanks for the update. Any idea how long Paul Delaney has owned it?

It's a cool car in that it is a solid color, and black to boot. Solid colors were downright rare in 1955 and 1956 on anything domestic except the cheapest fleet vehicles and the occasional stately presitige make in black. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Hi, Paul Delaney here. I bought the Clipper in 2004. It had been sold by Everett Hatch sometime in the '90s and had fallen into sad condition. I hesitated to restore the car, at first, because it needed so much work but I ultimately decided that this piece of Packard history deserved to be saved.

Restoration was "frame off (off frame) and rather complex but every effort was made to return the car to "period correct" condition as when it was beating all comers in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the work was done by Ross Miller's Speedwell Garage in Parkton, Maryland. We were greatly assisted by Glen Volz, owner of the Salem, O. Speed Shop, a Hot Rodding Legend, who had employed Hatch in 1956 & 1957 and worked on the car wit Hatch almost daily for those 2 years.

The car was supported at that time, as well, by the Packard Zone office and their manager Tom Delon and the Trowbridge brothers (who once campaigned a Topolinno coupe with a full race Packard V8) who were employed by the local Packard dealer.

The car had 3 different engines over the years: 352", 374" and a bored/stroked version of 414". It raced in D Stock and some modified classes. It still has the Willys 4.88 truck rear end and the original factory installed T 85 3speed/ OD.

Currently, a 374" with Isky cam, solid lifters and much porting and polishing, make for a very fast Packard. I am quite confident that it is the world's fastest accellerating Packard. I would bet that the 1956 Executive with 374' add 3spd/ OD and 2.87 rear, described in earlier posts, has a higher top speed than any Packard Hawk, notwithstanding the Executive's aero dynamic characteristics that probably produce a very high CD rating. Really, that Catfish mouth on the Hawk can't improve its slipperiness much, either

The car was delivered in black with a blue interior.

It will currently, unofficially turn the 1/4 in the 96+ mph range.

Comment

Knowing Packard V8s, Studebaker V8s, Paul Delaney (thanks for saving this important piece of Packard history) and so on, I'd agree Paul and Bob are correct in that the two special-built Packard sedans are the fastest stock-appearing 1956 Packard sedans ever built.

Having said that, with enough money, one could build a Packard Hawk with a stock-appearing Studebaker V8 which would outrun either of the above. This would be like against like, as neither of the sedans are "stock."

With enough more money, one could swap in a performance-built Packard V8 into a Packard Hawk and really make it the fastest and quickest Packard ever built. The Packard Hawk is enough lighter and enough less frontal area, it would always be faster and quicker than the sedan with the same horsepower.

jack vines
                    Last edited by PackardV8; 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM.
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Custom8coupe View Post
                      Hi, Paul Delaney here. I bought the Clipper in 2004. It had been sold by Everett Hatch sometime in the '90s and had fallen into sad condition. I hesitated to restore the car, at first, because it needed so much work but I ultimately decided that this piece of Packard history deserved to be saved.

Restoration was "frame off (off frame) and rather complex but every effort was made to return the car to "period correct" condition as when it was beating all comers in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the work was done by Ross Miller's Speedwell Garage in Parkton, Maryland. We were greatly assisted by Glen Volz, owner of the Salem, O. Speed Shop, a Hot Rodding Legend, who had employed Hatch in 1956 & 1957 and worked on the car wit Hatch almost daily for those 2 years.
                      Cool beans, Paul; thanks for checking in with "the rest of the story."

And special thanks for saving that special car. It was deserving of your time and attention.

Did you know Everett Hatch? Is he still alive? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

No, sadly, Everett Hatch was killed in the crash of an Ultralight plane he had built. The story of Hatch's Clipper during its racing career was the subject of an article that appeared in The Packard Cormorant Magazine in 1999. The piece had details about my decades long search for Hatch and the car (search conducted in the days before Google) and a chapter of Salem Speed Shop owner Glen Volz's autobiography, which describes how he and Hatch built and raced the Clipper. Copies of that issue are still available through The Packard Club, I believe.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for that great info, Paul. While he seems calm and cool, your initial post had to have Bob Palma just tickled as all heck and in a warm drag racing Packard story state of contentment! I can hear his wheels turning from here as he works up an idea for a future article somewhere. What a great story of a true save. Again, welcome.

Comment

Me thinks Studebaker should have saved all those 57 Golden Hawk 400 engines and put them in the 58 Packard Hawk. They may have sold more
                            as they would have been True Packards and not lost loyal Packard customers. Thinking 53 years too late.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                              Me thinks Studebaker should have saved all those 57 Golden Hawk 400 engines and put them in the 58 Packard Hawk. They may have sold more
                              as they would have been True Packards and not lost loyal Packard customers. Thinking 53 years too late.
                              Only 56 Golden Hawks used the Packard engine. All 57 and 58 Golden Hawks used the Supercharged Studebaker engine.
                              All 57 Packards and only 58 Packard Hawks used the SAME Studebaker supercharged engine.
                              (well, not the SAME one....that would be just silly)
                              Last edited by bezhawk; 01-26-2011, 05:14 AM.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X