Air Conditioning a Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning a Lark

Some air conditioning systems installed on late model Stude V8's employ a fitting on the back of the right head for the coolant supply to the heater, rather than drilling and tapping the water manifold on the left side of the engine. So far, Ive not been able to determine the source or application for that fitting. It is used instead of the blank plate normally located at that position. Does anyone have this right angle 3/4" hose fitting or know its original purpose? There is no listing in any of the parts manuals that I have, but I lack anything in the 50's or earlier. One possibility is that it was used for marine applications.

Bump....bump
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I have seen such a fitting, not on stock Studebaker provided air conditioners, but on "universal" add-on units. It looked to me like it was just a block off plate with a 90 degree NTP fitting screwed into it, maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 inch. You can get the "low profile" 90 degree elbow fillings with a hose barb on one end and 3/8 or1/2 NPT on the other. 3/8 would probably work better, that's the size on the water manifold type.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
        . Does anyone have this right angle 3/4" hose fitting or know its original purpose?
        That is NOT a Studebaker Part, so that is why you are not finding it in the Parts Catalogs. It's original purpose is specifically to simplify the installation of AFTERMARKET A/C Systems onto Studebaker V-8's.
        I do not know if Cadillac and Olds have the same Manifold Bolt dimensions as Stude. it's possible.
        I prefer the correct Studebaker method.

Mark IV A/C was one of the biggest users of these fittings. If you could find an OLD A/C Shop, having done business in the '50's and '60's there could still be some laying around, a very small maybe!

However, it would be a very simple job to use a Temperture Sending unit mounting plate from the Left Head and make one of these, or even from scratch materials.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just gave one to a friend the other day they are not 3/4" but more like 3/8' might have another if I look hard enough.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
            Some air conditioning systems installed on late model Stude V8's employ a fitting on the back of the right head for the coolant supply to the heater, rather than drilling and tapping the water manifold on the left side of the engine.
            Actually, drilling and tapping the the water manifold is not that big a deal, and can actually be done without removing the manifold (a good strong magnet to collect the chips is recommended). That is the route that I went when I added A/C to my '64 Daytona. There is a boss cast into the manifold for that purpose. BTDT.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X