'61 Lark taillight lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 Lark taillight lenses

We have a local member who needs 2 '61 taillight lenses so he can get it inspected by the state and drive it as a daily driver. Can anyone help him out?
    Gib Satterwhite-806-383-5022

Gib

quote:Originally posted by studegib

We have a local member who needs 2 '61 taillight lenses
    Rarer than hen's teeth.

Does anybody know of 59-60 lenses will fit a '61 base (even though they wouldn't be correct)?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

We have a local member who needs 2 '61 taillight lenses
      Rarer than hen's teeth.

Does anybody know of 59-60 lenses will fit a '61 base (even though they wouldn't be correct)?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quoteoes anybody know of 59-60 lenses will fit a '61 base (even though they wouldn't be correct)?
        Yes, my friend, Tom, has them on his 61 Lark.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quoteoes anybody know of 59-60 lenses will fit a '61 base (even though they wouldn't be correct)?
          Yes, my friend, Tom, has them on his 61 Lark.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Leonard, you know that fellow? I've been reading about his car over on the racing forum! Pretty cool unit

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Leonard, you know that fellow? I've been reading about his car over on the racing forum! Pretty cool unit

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Gib, in order to install those '60 Lenses he needs to buy the '59-'60 housings, and re-drill the hole for the bulb socket in the the rear panel. The '59-'60's bulb socket hole is diagonal on the corner and the '61 faces rear. Then you can use either '59 or '60 much cheaper lenses! [] You would really have to butcher the '60 lens badly to install it otherwise, as the screw holes do not line up.

Can anyone help him out?
                Gib
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gib, in order to install those '60 Lenses he needs to buy the '59-'60 housings, and re-drill the hole for the bulb socket in the the rear panel. The '59-'60's bulb socket hole is diagonal on the corner and the '61 faces rear. Then you can use either '59 or '60 much cheaper lenses! [] You would really have to butcher the '60 lens badly to install it otherwise, as the screw holes do not line up.

Can anyone help him out?
                  Gib
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

lstude- Your friend may have the earlier lenses on his '61, but they are NOT a direct "screw-on". The '61 T/L bases differ from the '59-60 style and the bulb location is different. The fella with the '61 may need to tell the inspectors how rare and hard to find these lenses really are. I'm sure all the parts vendors would be happy to back his claim up with letters to the DMV. Good luck.
                    Christof Kheim
                    ---studesnbldr
                    ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

lstude- Your friend may have the earlier lenses on his '61, but they are NOT a direct "screw-on". The '61 T/L bases differ from the '59-60 style and the bulb location is different. The fella with the '61 may need to tell the inspectors how rare and hard to find these lenses really are. I'm sure all the parts vendors would be happy to back his claim up with letters to the DMV. Good luck.
                      Christof Kheim
                      ---studesnbldr
                      ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have posted that picture. Tom can make anything work. I don't know how he made them fit, I just know they are on there and they don't fall off during his qtr. mile runs!

Comment

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have posted that picture. Tom can make anything work. I don't know how he made them fit, I just know they are on there and they don't fall off during his qtr. mile runs!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studesnbldr
                            The fella with the '61 may need to tell the inspectors how rare and hard to find these lenses really are. I'm sure all the parts vendors would be happy to back his claim up with letters to the DMV.
                            I don't think that would fly. Tail light lenses are probably required...even if they are rare .

The '59-60 conversion looks like it works nicely (if "original" isn't a requirement).

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studesnbldr
                              The fella with the '61 may need to tell the inspectors how rare and hard to find these lenses really are. I'm sure all the parts vendors would be happy to back his claim up with letters to the DMV.
                              I don't think that would fly. Tail light lenses are probably required...even if they are rare .

The '59-60 conversion looks like it works nicely (if "original" isn't a requirement).

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X