Intresting drag strip photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intresting drag strip photo

I am sure some of you can enlighten us on this shot.

Really cool shot Tex, thanks for posting.

Heck with the Stude tho.. I want the '63 BMW!

(Big Mopar Wagon).

Comment

I see John Dianna's panel delivery, Sox & Martin, Bill Jenkins Camaro..Looks like Bagwell's Dart...
      Lot's of history in that pic!
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I can't identify the drag strip, but by the cars in the staging lane it is a NHRA National meet.
        The big Mopar wagon is Tritak Performance. It was ordered new from the factory as a max wedge 426, aluminum front end fenders and hood.
        A race car from the factory, it was a national record holder for years.
        Pete Tritak and Bill Morgen owned a raced this car out of New Jersey.

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

If that is "Grumpy" Jenkins car it is the 68 IV, the 69 had a different paint scheme, which would date the photo to 1968. I can't help more than that.

Bob

Comment

I only know of one 52 racing back then Bob Mikulic here in California, first in the early years ran with the 232 and 3 speed, beat most in his class years late went to the 289 R-2 and Auto , he has not run in the past few years but when he stopped he was in the low 12's he is our Ted Harbit here in No. Calif. also same age as Ted.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

The Wagon i remember John Diana having was a 56, did he also have a 55?
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Great picture. Can anyone identify the drag strip itself? I cannot.

Knowing the strip's location might help identify some of the cars, since many racers, especially the lower classes, aren't "national" in nature.

In the midwest, we had several guys running 1952 Commander Starlight coupes. Ted Harbit's friend Fred Robinson ran a '51 Commander Starlight (I originally thought '52, but Ted corrected me) before he defected to Fords. But I don't know if that is Fred's Commander; I kind of doubt it because I think Fred's was a lighter color.

I think it says T/S on the Stude's windshield, so that will help date the photo; the class for those cars changed almost every year back then. BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I e-mailed Ted Harbit about this and thought he would post, but Ted just responded to my e-mail thus:

I don't know where that's at. It could be Indy but I can't remember whether or not there was room for spectator-type cars parked outside that fence.

I recognize some of the cars but not sure who owned them. The '52 Stude could be Swartz, Karst, & Kimmerly out of Kendallville [IN] or even a guy I can't recall his name, from Sheldon, Illinois. Both were red. Fred Robinson's was a '51, not a '52, and it was white.

The Olds on the far right side I think might be Jack Mullins from Tennessee or Alabama. 'Again, can't remember for sure but he was from a more southern state.

I remember John Dianna did have a green '56 Chevy wagon and it is buried at the south end on the west side of the Muncie [IN] Drag Strip. He was at Muncie on a Saturday night while at the Nationals and rolled it, totally destroying it. He stripped it and left the shell there and it was finally buried there.

Sorry but that's about all I can contribute and not even 100% sure of everything I've said here. Ted

Thanks, Ted. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Intresting topic.

Anybody remember Vance Brady and his tangerine 54 coupe that used to be run at southern Michigan and northern Indiana / Ohio drag strips? Timeframe the early 60's through maybe the real early 70's.

Ironically, we have the engine that came out of that car....its a 57-58 289 with a custom deep oil pan, heads worked over and different cam. It's too bad the cylinder walls have rust damage.

Comment

Quote: "The Olds on the far right side I think might be Jack Mullins from Tennessee or Alabama. 'Again, can't remember for sure but he was from a more southern state."

The 50 Olds that I'd like to know more about is the one that appears to be a light-colored sedan delivery. Depending on whom you ask, there were none of these made - OR, there were a handful produced for certain Olds Management Personnel. If that is a legitimately produced GM model, that is one extremely scarce sedan delivery. If that is a vehicle that some private party has created, one would wonder what would have been the incentive to go to the time and trouble to build such a thing in the mid-late 60's when a 50 Olds might only be on the verge of being collectible.

Just curious. A very interesting car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I feel like Homer Simpson - DOH! just realized that the Olds in the photo is probably an ambulance, not a sedan delivery. Good intentions, crappy vision
                      Last edited by tennessee_anomaly; 01-25-2011, 01:14 PM. Reason: misidentified ambulance as sedan delivery

Comment

Actually, the Chevy Sedan Delivery in this photo is a '55, and the Olds Station Wagon is just that, not an Ambulance, not a Sedan Delivery!
                        Note the recessed panels (was simulated wood) on the rear quarters.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The Olds wagon and the Olds sedan (In front of the Stude) both are in V/S, Looks like he is pulling about an extra 300 lbs with the wagon, he is also still running the front bumper guards. There were no 4bbls that early, I don't understand why the wagon,Other than extra weight on the rear. These cars didn't have enough HP to warant that. And V/S was the lowest Stock class. One of the top Oldsmobile runners was Keith Berg.
                          As for the drag Strip, COULD be Tulsa world finals, not sure. Like Ted said there shouldn't be regular cars in the pits other that tow vehicles, there are no front license plates on the cars in the pits, and Oklahoma doesn't have a front tag. But it looks like a national meet with all the top cars running, and Tulsa did host the World Finals in 1965, 1966 and 1967. By 1968 i think V/S was eliminated.
                          Also notice the angled scoop on the Mopar in the 2nd closest lane, Obviously for the off set 2-4bbl carbs.
                          Last edited by clonelark; 01-26-2011, 12:55 AM.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The wagon in the photo was the sister to our car. We got the Savoy and they got the wagon. Radio and heater delete. Everyother spring removed from back seat and no pad. thin rubber floor mat, front only. No window regulators. Leather straps and snaps. Aluminum fenders, doors, hood and bumpers. Both cars were national record holders in 63 & 64. Late 64 the Hemi was introduced and we were three tenths too slow. But oh what a ride. 13 to 1 compression and big 520 by 310 cam. Ours was black and tan.

Comment

The photo is definitely 1968 but which track??? The '55 sedan delivery belonged to Jay Wheatley. The Mustang in front of it may be Bernie Agaman's. Grumpys Camaro is his '68 car which debuted in the spring. Great shot by the way. Love the variety.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X