BLASPHEMY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLASPHEMY!

'Just got my subscriber's copy of the June 2007 Hemmings Muscle Machines in today's mail. Therein is an interesting report on a 1965 Chevelle 300 2-door station wagon. It's a heavily-modified, streetable hot rod painted some sort of light tan, a custom-mixed color the owner describes as Shiny Cement, whatever that means.

The title of the article? PLAIN BROWN WRAPPER

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

NEED TO SEND THEM A PICTURE OF THE REAL THING.....

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

NEED TO SEND THEM A PICTURE OF THE REAL THING.....

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
      64 Avanti R3w/NOS
      88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Of course we here all know about the real Plain Brown Wrapper (the R2 Lark that is). But Plain Brown Wrapper is also trucker CB radio lingo for an unmarked police car.

Ready for a trip to the beach!

Comment

Of course we here all know about the real Plain Brown Wrapper (the R2 Lark that is). But Plain Brown Wrapper is also trucker CB radio lingo for an unmarked police car.

Ready for a trip to the beach!

Comment

[}][}] Well, Karl, they've already got a picture of it...and a whole article! [:0][:0]

To wit: The February 2005 Hemmings Muscle Machines has a one-page article on The REAL Plain Brown Wrapper. The title of that article is Sizzling Studebaker. In the second paragraph of the article, it says, "Aptly called 'The Plain Brown Wrapper,' the blindingly-fast grandma-getter [sic] is an original-paint 1964 Studebaker Challenger purchased new in August 1964 by George Krem, who still owns it today."

[I bet the writer meant to say grocery-getter, not grandma-getter. Hmmm...come to think of it, our (George and my) mutual Grandmother Palma did ride in it a time or two!]

I KNEW we should have trademarked or otherwise protected that moniker. Where are lawyers when you need them? Sheesh. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[}][}] Well, Karl, they've already got a picture of it...and a whole article! [:0][:0]

To wit: The February 2005 Hemmings Muscle Machines has a one-page article on The REAL Plain Brown Wrapper. The title of that article is Sizzling Studebaker. In the second paragraph of the article, it says, "Aptly called 'The Plain Brown Wrapper,' the blindingly-fast grandma-getter [sic] is an original-paint 1964 Studebaker Challenger purchased new in August 1964 by George Krem, who still owns it today."

[I bet the writer meant to say grocery-getter, not grandma-getter. Hmmm...come to think of it, our (George and my) mutual Grandmother Palma did ride in it a time or two!]

I KNEW we should have trademarked or otherwise protected that moniker. Where are lawyers when you need them? Sheesh. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Heck, there was another performance car feature article not too long ago that was titled "Plain Brown Wrapper"[}] I feel sure I pointed this out to the forum, but I can't remember when it was.
                I'd stumbled upon the article at a local newstand while checking to see what, if any, coverage there was of Studes.[B)] Usually, they crow about all the chapter and verse "Muscle Cars" and NEVER even mention Studebakers.[8] heh - why would they? They don't wanna insult their readers collective IQs.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Heck, there was another performance car feature article not too long ago that was titled "Plain Brown Wrapper"[}] I feel sure I pointed this out to the forum, but I can't remember when it was.
                  I'd stumbled upon the article at a local newstand while checking to see what, if any, coverage there was of Studes.[B)] Usually, they crow about all the chapter and verse "Muscle Cars" and NEVER even mention Studebakers.[8] heh - why would they? They don't wanna insult their readers collective IQs.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hemmings' Editor has recieved an email and will probably be reading this thread Thursday morning but, no trademark, no foul. Hemmings likes Studebakers and we appreciate their attention.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Hemmings' Editor has recieved an email and will probably be reading this thread Thursday morning but, no trademark, no foul. Hemmings likes Studebakers and we appreciate their attention.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        Not to worry, Brad; I'm known well enough among the editorial types at Hemmings, having helped them with Studebaker stuff, that they'll not take this seriously. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          Not to worry, Brad; I'm known well enough among the editorial types at Hemmings, having helped them with Studebaker stuff, that they'll not take this seriously. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Sheesh...
                            If it were that big a thing, it should have been copyrighted[}]
                            Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                            Brooklet, Georgia
                            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                            '61 Hawk (project)
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sheesh...
                              If it were that big a thing, it should have been copyrighted[}]
                              Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                              Brooklet, Georgia
                              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                              '61 Hawk (project)
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X