Jet Thrust Engine Serial Number Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Thrust Engine Serial Number Question

I tried to look for a current registery for Jet Thrust engines.
    Who is the expert on this?
    I have most of an engine, and would like to know it's build history, and maybe the car it came out of.

JTSI5I2

Thanks ahead of time.
    Jeff
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-08-2011, 06:17 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

'Don't know the history, Jeff, but it left South Bend powering 1963 Hawk #63V22330. The car was Velvet Black, 4-speed, Twin Traction, and disc brakes, but was not a full-package car. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Can't forget it was also an R2 ......
      Unfortunately, in 63 they numbered the engines sequentially, unlike 64 where they were date coded. All I can say is it was 100 engines prior to the one in my Lark, lol .
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

It's "build history" as I see it, would simply be that it was originally a '63 Hawk, Super Jet Thrust, R2 Supercharged 4 Speed bellhousing Engine.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the info guys....
          Here's a new question...
          After unloading this engine off the pallet and dragging it into the shop,
          I spotted a second number 'above' the JTS number (see pic)
          What does this mean?
          Thanks ahead of time.
          Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial Number JTSI5I2 Plate Jan 2010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1666841

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Jeff: I am fairly certain that secondary number was not stamped on that block by Studebaker, but "never say never." I say that because the font does not look like a Studebaker font.

My guess would be that the engine was rebuilt in 1975 (hence the "75") and the "201" part of it is some code to tell the rebuilder what was done...possibly a code as to date of the rebuild...or the number of thousandths taken off the main and/or rod bearings...or ???.

Pure speculation, though; don't take it to the bank. In fact, don't even try to spend it at Dairy Queen. Bob
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder whats in the box under the edge of the lifter cover?

Gordon

Comment

The mark at the top partly under the lifter cover looks a lot like one of those Keystone inspection stamps with Employee number in it.

The 75201 is most likely the Invoice Number for the shop ticket at a Machine shop or re-builder, if that is true, you could find oversize Pistons inside.
                StudeRich

Comment

Very interesting!
                  Thanks guys... I'll be looking closely at it in a short while...
                  Jeff

Jeff

Comment

Interested in knowing what JT N316 was originally installed in. It is currently in my Avanti, R3222 and running well,but wasnt the original engine in this car. Does the "N" in the serial nbr have a specific meaning. Wondering if this is similar to the original R1 engine.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks

Comment

NOTE: Very OLD revived post!

Lynn, you click on the "Home" Page Link at the top of this page, then scan down to Tech tips, Specs. and data and click, then there is a link that say's:
                      UPDATED! Studebaker V/8 Engine Identification
                      That will tell yoou what we forgot to mention in this old post, the 1964's are Date Coded.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Since it was originally in a 64 model Lark or Hawk and it uses a date code instead of a serial number it is difficult to tell exactly what it came in originally. There were 7 Hawks and 1 Daytona convertible that were built with that engine date code. The N means that it was built in December.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

Nick

Originally posted by Lynn Metz View Post
                        Interested in knowing what JT N316 was originally installed in. It is currently in my Avanti, R3222 and running well,but wasnt the original engine in this car. Does the "N" in the serial nbr have a specific meaning. Wondering if this is similar to the original R1 engine.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks very much everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X