X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom Kandy, redux

Studebaker Custom -- mg2929LR by Lance & Cromwell, on Flickr

Love it or hate it! But it's well-done

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

ohhh man, I really like the paint and flame design on this car...can't begin to imagine how many hours of body work and block sanding went into this baby. Added bonus...no modern mirrors!! Thanks for sharing. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Gorgeous paint and body work on this one. Like them or hate them, cars like this are truly works of art, but I can't imagine actually driving this one any distance.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Actually I like the car a lot but it continues to prove that there is a skill to chopping a C/K and getting the proportions correct. They should have looked at a chop like Pat Dillings to get the proportions right. Way to much chop here. I know Pat's is a C but a light chop looks so much better.

Otherwise, I like it a lot.

Bob

Comment

This car was built by a customizer local to me named Dave Polney, by his own admission he got a little carried away on this one. He is a very talented body and metal worker. I think the car is up in Washington or Oregon now. He built it, had it for a while then sold it, his wife bought it back, then finally I think she sold it again. it is powered by a small block Ford. While he had it he actually drove it quite a bit. I plan to get in touch with Dave when it comes time to work on my Conestoga.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I'll just leave it at a compliment of extraordinary craftsmanship.
            I'm getting a mid-50s Chrysler vibe here:

Andy
            62 GT

Comment

STU COOL forever!
              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
              https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

I really like and appreciate the artistic vision and labor that went into this creation, and the historic time period it represents!

Not how I have would have done it on several levels, but that does not mean I can't love, respect and appreciate it, (and it’s builder) for what it is, and the period it represents.

It is a little sad (to me,) though, when a car is rebuilt in such a fashion that its original purpose in life... to be driven, safely, and practically, falls by the wayside. Hard as it might be sometimes, we need to realize that automotive safety 50-60 years ago was not what it is today.

Neat thing is, knowing that, we can "improve" our cars with such things as disc brakes, seat/shoulder harnesses/ and other safety advances made availale to us.

Nothing wrong with building an impractical work of automotive art... it simply must be appreciated for what it is... an impractical, beautifully well executed, work of art.

To me, what makes it impractical to drive this particular car has little to do with the absolutely beautiful paint job, which is one of the things I would have not done that way... I'm not a fan of flame paint jobs, but I can still appreciate them for what they are, and the time period they represent.

Anybody that would have put that kind of work into a paint job, would certainly not want to have it all chipped up a couple of hundred miles down the road following completion!

Beyond the concern of resulting damage/wear and tear caused by driving this beauty, a couple of things stand out to me that would make driving it either unsafe, or at least impractical… the over chop, (aesthetics aside… I like the looks, just wouldn’t want to drive it cross-country) as it would relate to a tall fellow, and the mirrors, from a safety perspective.

I have owned several Studebakers over the past several years.

One of my pet peeves/concerns about some of them was the fact that the mirrors were located in such a position that they interfered with the functionality of the wind vents… or, more importantly, perhaps, operation of the wind vents rendered the mirrors useless… in other words, you could safely/practically mount or use one… or… the other.

Given this conflict, I chose to make a choice.

The choice amounted to this:

Either move the mirrors away from where the factory placed them, so that they could actually be used as rear view mirrors, without having to decide what was more important to me… viewing what traffic might be either to my left or right, or enjoying the breeze provided by the door wind vents.

I researched options, and observed that I could either move the mirrors out to the front fenders, or to the top front of the doors, as others have done. Those options did not appeal to me.

I certainly do not want to disparage what other folks have done, but the mirrors out on the fenders looked out of place to me, and the mirrors mounted above the doors, while perhaps period correct, looked… well… out of place (to me, for my car, not you, or your car!)

If you own a car with mirrors mounted on the front fenders, or on the top front of the doors, please forgive me. I’m not saying you did anything wrong, and you have certainly not done any thing to peeve me! I appreciate what you have done, and why you did it!

Back to m y choices… I knew that I was going to air condition my car, so the door wing vents were of no importance to me, for airflow purposes, anyway.

Therefore, I chose to eliminate them, and mount electrically controlled rear view mo place my forehead on either the left or right A pillar to see what was behind me on either side. God forgive me that such a safety improvement might date the timing of my build.

I built my car in the late 90’s, and it shows... and I was not going for the "correct period" look.

It cruises at whatever speed I tell it to, and when I want to change lanes, I can easily and safely look into the right or left outside mirror and check traffic!

I searched the world over for mirrors that would offer practical functionality, and yet blend with the lines of my Stude:

'Thought I done good, but I see that I didn’t.

Upon reconsideration, I disagree with myself. I done good, 'cause my opinion is more important than yours, as it relates to my car!!

You, and /or others may disagree.

Any time somebody does anything, somebody else might like, or dislike what was done. Whether that somebody else likes, or dislikes what was done is of no consequense. What is done, is done.

We must all pet our own peeves, as we see fit, I reckon.

Junior... I like your car, mirrors, and all! (Not that it matters.)
                Last edited by Studedude; 01-08-2011, 05:15 AM.
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Dave Lester, PM sent.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Got the message... thanks!
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Working...