Asanti Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asanti Grill

I am typing Avanti Grill on EBAY because I am looking for an original one and it changes the search to Asanti Grill. There are 77 Asanti Grills but no Avanti Grills!

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    I am typing Avanti Grill on EBAY because I am looking for an original one and it changes the search to Asanti Grill. There are 77 Asanti Grills but no Avanti Grills!
    Try Studebaker Avanti grill
    JDP Maryland

Comment

That works, but there are none listed.

Comment

You either need to keep trying or go to page 120 of the SI catalog and order one.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          You either need to keep trying or go to page 120 of the SI catalog and order one.
          Before you spend over $200 for a SI grille, see the thread:
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=avanti+grille

I found a used original grille at York that had 1 broken wire for $100. After a quick tig repair of the wire and a trip across the buffing wheel , the grille looks like new. I sold my SI grille at Reedsville for about half of what I paid, but that's about what I thought it was really worth.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Just goofing off, I tried the Avanti Grill search and it changed it just like the original poster of this thread said. Then I tried it again but checked the little box for "include in description."

That was an interesting exercise! It is amazing what a little click in a box changes. You can find "Avanti" associated with so many things from hair dryers, stoves, refrigerators, and BBQ grilles.

One thing about the real Avanti grills...on the car they are so out-of-the-way and hardly noticeable, you could use all sorts of materials and most folks would never give it a thought.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It must be about "GRILL" instead of "GRILLE"!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Try "Nissan Versa".

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  It must be about "GRILL" instead of "GRILLE"!
                  Turned it into Asanti Grille, Rich.

Comment

My Avanti did not come with a grill. The serial number is 63RQ2147. With the cost of radiators these days I want something in place to protect the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                      My Avanti did not come with a grill. The serial number is 63RQ2147. With the cost of radiators these days I want something in place to protect the radiator.

I don't have an Avanti and have no experience that justifies what I am about to write. So, this is just an opinion and nothing more. However, if the stock grills (grilles?) are as flimsy as they look in the pictures, it looks like they offer very little protection for your radiator.

It looks like you would need something like a strong piece of expanded metal (some call it mesh) than those small wide spaced flimsy wire things.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, it's surprising how effective that flimsy-looking grille can be. I know it looks like an oven rack, but try a little back-of-the-napkin arithmetic. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the wires are spaced 1" apart, and neglect, for now, the width of the wires themselves. That means the absolute maximum size pebble that could pass through is 1", and only if it hits the space between the wires dead center. A little to either side, and it will hit one wire or the other, bounce off it, then the other, and be thrown aside. In practice, the number of 1" pebbles that pass through will be near-zero, because each one has to make a bullseye on the center of the gap.

How about 1/2" pebbles? They will go through if their centers enter the grille anywhere from 1/4" from one wire to 1/4" from the next, a span of 1/2". The grille is effectively 50% transparent to 1/2" pebbles. Some more may go through that hit one of the wires a glancing blow, but that will likely scrub speed off them, and cause them to hit the radiator less strongly or maybe miss it altogether, and rattle around in the cavity.

Smaller particles will go through more readily, but the smaller they get, the less chance there is of them doing damage to the radiator. The smaller they are, the less mass, and the more speed they lose to air resistance between the point they are first launched and the point they encounter the grille.

FWIW, I've found that pea-size and smaller rocks rarely will damage my windshield, but rocks 1" and bigger will almost invariably cause a chip.

And the finer you make the grille, the more resistance it presents to air flow, and Avantis don't need any additional impediments to cooling.

Maybe a 1" spaced grille, with another similar one, offset by 1/2", placed 2" behind it, would offer a bit more protection. Chrome the outer one, and paint the inner one flat black, and it would be nearly invisible.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I can remember my grandparents and I cruising down a busy highway in North Carolina several years ago in our Avanti, heading to some Stude meet. A short (8-10" long) piece of 2x4 board was kicked up by the tire of the car in front of us, and hit the grille of the Avanti. The grille was easily straightened when we got home, would've been much worse had it hit the radiator.

Comment

Matt and Gordon..you both make good cases for the grille and I will defer to your opinions.

As far as "air flow" I learned first hand years ago about how much a seemingly wide mesh screen can impede cooling. Especially if it is a good and effective "bug screen." You can pick your poison...either bugs or running hot!

If you go with a bug screen, remember to clean it often.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                            X