X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Are Looking for a REALLY Old Stude

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/845850.html
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
    Pictures at https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection and https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Could it be the prototype of the first Studebaker wagon? Company founded in 1952, title says this is an 1850. Later says it's a 1910. I think there's some confusion.

Comment

By the time you got that one restored and got some horse power you could have a really fine Studebaker car. It sure would make a pretty parade vehicle though.
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I would really like to have a good Studebaker wagon, but at that price, I'll pass. At my age I'm getting to old to shovel sh*t, and can't afford the fuel at the feed store. Looks as if it not in the card anymore.

Comment

Well, it's NOT an 1850. My guess (and I would have to agree) is that it is extremely late 1800s to early 1900s era.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Remember, the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1852 with an infusion of capital by brother John. Studebaker wagons were being built prior to that date. That said, I would have to agree; I doubt the boys, or their father, were building anything this refined in 1850.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Remember, the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1852 with an infusion of capital by brother John. Studebaker wagons were being built prior to that date. That said, I would have to agree; I doubt the boys, or their father, were building anything this refined in 1850.
              I agree. That's what I was thinking too. Studebaker was building wagons at an early date, they just weren't that fancy yet. Farm wagons, etc. Besides that, they only built two wagons in their first year in business, 1852. (And they were farm wagons)
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well, this is an unusual vehicle in that the seats are not normal for a Buckboard and that the vehicle is sprung. Usually, this kind of vehicle had no springing in the chassis, but two under each seat. This one has a sprung chassis and solid seats.

How do I say it's a Buckboard? Note the lack of (wood) side rails on the floor. Also, there is a wrought-iron cargo rail that encompases the area the rear seat is set in. Normally this vehicle wouldn't have a rear seat. Actually, it looks like the seats came off a spring wagon or Democrat. However, with the underspringing, this kind of seat might have been provided.

Actually, it looks a lot like someone cobbled together a vehicle from three to make one. As to the steps, they can be transferred from anything Studebaker made. Thus, they are not really a good way to identify the maker. One would have to closely inspect this vehicle to determine it's authenticity.

As to his price, it's totally out there. Even with a decimal place moved to the left, the price is twice what it's worth. Studebakers are one of the premium horse drawn vehicles, but they don't command THAT high of a price.

Here's an example of a vehicle from the same period, restored, in beautiful, usable condition for almost ten percent of the price:

http://www.carriagemart.com/Studebak.../pair-2814.asp

Also, this Park-Wagon or Democrat still carries its identifying tag and all original parts. Yet, again, look at the price difference. Personally, it's a steal for the price advertised. Whereas the subject vehicle of this thread is questionable in every way.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                X