Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions for a new Lark owner

Hi forum,

I was recently informed that I am the proud owner of the last of my late grandfather's collection of Studebakers, that being a Lark VIII I believe. In a few months I plan to ship it home and had a few questions in regards to bringing it back to driving status.

From what I am aware, the Lark is all original, but has been garage kept since 2004 or before. Since I saw her last in 2007, she was driven around the block with no trouble.

What are a few of the first things I should look at once she is delivered? I'm thinking fluid changes, a good inspection for corrosion/cracks/etc. but have little knowledge of the upkeep of classic cars. Also, are there any solid resources that I should look into? Not sure if they make a manual for this at Autozone.

Looking forward to cruisin',
    Cheeko

Originally posted by Cheeko View Post
    Hi forum,

I was recently informed that I am the proud owner of the last of my late grandfather's collection of Studebakers, that being a Lark VIII I believe. In a few months I plan to ship it home and had a few questions in regards to bringing it back to driving status.

From what I am aware, the Lark is all original, but has been garage kept since 2004 or before. Since I saw her last in 2007, she was driven around the block with no trouble.

What are a few of the first things I should look at once she is delivered? I'm thinking fluid changes, a good inspection for corrosion/cracks/etc. but have little knowledge of the upkeep of classic cars. Also, are there any solid resources that I should look into? Not sure if they make a manual for this at Autozone.

Looking forward to cruisin',
    Cheeko
    I would spend maybe $200-$300 for 4 new wheel cylinders, a master cylinder kit and 3 brake hoses. Failure to go is disapointing, failure to stop is much more so. Other than that, fresh fluids, a quick check of the rubber bits and maybe a tune-up.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Anthony,

WELCOME!

FIRST, read this excellent article:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

SECOND, join the SDC to receive the monthly magazine TURNING WHEELS. Join here:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp

THIRD, find other Studebaker enthusiasts in your area via your local SDC Chapter here:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/localchapters.asp

You can procure the Shop Manual, Body catalog and Chassis catalog from many of our fine vendors located here:
      http://www.studebakervendors.com/

All this, and much more, is accessible by clicking on the SDC Home Page link at the bottom of each and every Forum page.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Brad, I have always been a fan of how you help first time posters. That post should be a template for future first time poster help. That care with detail should bring most new owners back with a great sense of what this Forum and club can do for them. Sometimes I wonder how many of them check back in after their initial questions.

Cheeko, what year and body style is your Lark? By your first description it sounds like maybe a '59-'61 vintage. Welcome, it sounds like you are excited.

If you don't find a good shop manual near you from your local SDC members or a vendor, I should have an extra one around here for you very reasonably priced if you email me. For Studebaker shop manuals, Autozone is like K-mart to Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Get a Body Parts book and the Chassis Parts book, too. They have great illustrations to sort out what you have...and what you may not!

Getting your car safe, as mentioned above, may seem like common sense, but many folks rarely follow through with all of the basics. Do all of the above work outlined by JDP and your new Studebaker experience will soon be a generationally passed down pleasure. With any old cars, stopping them on purpose with their own brakes is a must. Baby steps...confidence in your Lark will come with each updated repair.

Good luck; your grandfather is definitely smiling from above about your interest right about now.
        Post a picture soon.
        Dave

Welcome

Comment

Last edited by Santosh; 01-05-2011, 04:29 PM.
          Walter

80 Fiat Spider
          63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
          60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
          56 Golden Hawk
          56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
          68 Volvo P1800S
          56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Welcome Walter! It's hard to tell in the small pic, but it is Rose Mist, and possibly a '63 Lark Regal or Lark Custom 4 dr. looks good.

The body tag on the passenger side of the firewall, under the hood will tell us what model, trim level and sequence on the BODY line, not final assembly. That would be on the Serial Number Plate on the driver's door post.

You will enjoy our wonderful Turning Wheels Monthly Publication, if you join the SDC at the top of these web pages.
            Glad to have you here with us on the Forum!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Santosh View Post
              I haven't met anybody, who knows Studebaker, it is very exciting time for me.
              Well, you have now! Welcome to the Forum. We're always glad to help! Post pictures if you can.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truthlet me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hello Santosh I guess Munich has grown since I was there in 1961. The October Fest in Munich was a real experience I had a wonderful time. I lived in Ulm from 1961 till January 1963. I have forgotten most of the German language old I guess.
                7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
                SDC Member 1985

Comment

I lived in Neu-Ulm, 1952-53! Learned German before I could speak English. All forgotten now.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I work for a German company, Sud-Chemie!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It will be a few month before I am able to ship my Lark home, but rest assured pics will be posted as soon as I get them. As much as I am going to enjoy driving her, twisting wrenches will be enjoyed as well.

In the mean time I shall enjoy the forums, and stare at pictures until that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        Well, you have now! Welcome to the Forum. We're always glad to help! Post pictures if you can.
                        Thank you,

here some pictures from Steve Lash, i purchased the Lark from him.

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/q...abaker001.jpg&

Does anyone know the car or owner before ? Here the story of Steve:

What you are viewing is truly and absolutly stunning 1963 studebaker lark being a one owner with 28222 1 owner car from and 90 year old fellow who past away,car just came out of his estate.still carrying it's original 6cly engine,everything seems to be in good working order.We were told car was painted once in 1990 and all i can tell you it the best paint ive seen on any of these.This car is nothing less than and amazing well kept lark,Car is incredible in every way, shape, and form.This car runs, drives, looks, and even smells like new! three speed on tree, amazing interior,Mirror finish paint, no rust seen, undercarriage is in amazing original condition!

I would like to get the 1 owners name, Steve didn't.

I will look for the numbers.
                        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        68 Volvo P1800S
                        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

We have the numbers from the pics, it's a '63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. 63S-Y4 2259, Serial # 63S ?7208 We did see this car advertised for sale and it has a flawless new paint job, it is a very clean beautiful car!

But just for your information: I would not bet anyone that it is ORIGINAL though, it has had extensive restoration work done, repainted engine, much detailing, has new brown upholstery not matching the Rose interior, new paint, a new 1959 Station Wagon rear bumper on the front, with the guards where they don't belong in the center holes covering the holes where the rear license Guard goes. It also has a fresh reproduction trunk mat, and new replacement Stereo Cassette Radio. The 1964 Wheel Covers on it COULD have been installed at the Dealer if it was sold after the '64's came out, a very nice car but don't believe all that about it being original, the mileage maybe, but not the Car.

I do not see why any of this should reduce the fun of owning and driving this fine example of American Engineering, Styling and Quality, so just enjoy it!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for the information, I am happy driving a car which is really unique in Munich ...
                            Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                            56 Golden Hawk
                            68 Volvo P1800S
                            56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

some more questions

Is this the fan?

And how can I get the molding clip (?) off?

Thanks

Walter
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Santosh; 01-22-2011, 05:24 AM.
                              Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                              56 Golden Hawk
                              68 Volvo P1800S
                              56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

Working...
                              X